Some really nice dead cow from Simply Rugged

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Some really nice dead cow from Simply Rugged

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I love getting packages from Rob. He told me a couple of months ago that he was making a Brill holster. I ordered one for my old SAA and it came in today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ysabel Kid

Re: Some really nice dead cow from Simply Rugged

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very nice! I am unfamiliar with a "Brill holster". What makes it unique?
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Like saddle makers, holster makers developed their unique style. The holsters that they developed often bear their names.

A.W.Brill was an Austin holster maker and his holsters were very popular with central Texas lawmen in the 1920s. (In those days it was illegal for other folks to carry pistols in public in Texas.

The Brill is a simple holster made for a time when automobiles were more common. They often showed a forward tilt that would allow a man to comfortably sit in a car. No leather was wasted and these holsters are designed to allow the user to carry all day in comfort.

Not as good in the saddle because it leaves too much of the gun exposed. But very quick to use and quite secure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Today, I carry more on a pants belt and for that a pancake style holster is better as it protects the gun and your clothes better.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Scott, what is your opinion on the Tom Threepersons holster? I've got one of the El Paso snap strap holsters for a 5.5" New Vaquero and haven't worn it much.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

1894cfan wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:10 am Scott, what is your opinion on the Tom Threepersons holster? I've got one of the El Paso snap strap holsters for a 5.5" New Vaquero and haven't worn it much.
It’s a good holster. Well made and quality leather.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:23 am Like saddle makers, holster makers developed their unique style. The holsters that they developed often bear their names.

A.W.Brill was an Austin holster maker and his holsters were very popular with central Texas lawmen in the 1920s. (In those days it was illegal for other folks to carry pistols in public in Texas.

The Brill is a simple holster made for a time when automobiles were more common. They often showed a forward tilt that would allow a man to comfortably sit in a car. No leather was wasted and these holsters are designed to allow the user to carry all day in comfort.

Not as good in the saddle because it leaves too much of the gun exposed. But very quick to use and quite secure.
Thanks Scott. I appreciate the explanation.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

That's a nice looking rig. I got a couple of pancakes from him when he was in Alaska and they're good, solid holsters, but it appears he's upped his game since then. There's 2 or 3 others he's building now that I'd like to try.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 5:24 pm
1894cfan wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:10 am Scott, what is your opinion on the Tom Threepersons holster? I've got one of the El Paso snap strap holsters for a 5.5" New Vaquero and haven't worn it much.
It’s a good holster. Well made and quality leather.
Thanks