1851 Navy Range Day

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

1851 Navy Range Day

Post by JimT »

I love shooting my 1862 Colt Police .36 but man! This 1851 Navy is running a close race! Took it to the Range today to try out Triple 7 and some home-made 2Fg black powder. I set up at 20 yards and managed to fire about 30 shots an hour. The Triple 7 gave the best results. No surprise as it has given the highest velocities and best accuracy against Pyrodex P and Goex 3Fg though in truth, the difference between Black 3Fg and Triple7 as far as accuracy is too small to count.

Today
Managed to catch the beginning of ignition (video capture)
1851Navy36_start of ignition.JPG
Ignition (video capture)
1851Navy_triple7.JPG
The best with FFg home-made black powder
IMG_5246.JPG
The best with Triple7
IMG_5248.JPG
When I got home I pulled it apart. It was pretty dirty.
Barrel
IMG_5254.JPG
I ran some Windex with ammonia down the bore, let it set for bit and then pushed a clean patch through the bore.
IMG_5262.JPG
The patch was a mess but the bore cleaned right up.
IMG_5263.JPG
Ran the Windex through the frame .. soaked the nipples in it ... and the internals. A wipedown and some oiling and it was done.
IMG_5264.JPG
IMG_5266.JPG
IMG_5271.JPG
IMG_5276.JPG
I will check it in a couple days to make sure I got it all clean and oiled. For me the Windex does the trick.

I am really liking this 1851 Navy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ysabel Kid

Re: 1851 Navy Range Day

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very nice Jim!

So, tell us more about the homemade FFg powder! :D
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:34 pm Very nice Jim!

So, tell us more about the homemade FFg powder! :D
It's black.
Large granules.
Goes "BANG" and smokes.

That's all I know. I did not make it. Some friends came to visit and one of them makes his own powder. He gave me a pound of it. I loaded some in the .38 S&W cases for the old H&R I brought back to life. And I shot some today in the 1851 Navy. I need to vary the powder charge and see if I can find an accurate load with it.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

There are some really fabulous Youtubes on making black powder. For years I thought it was the perfect way to blow yourself up. These take some of the mystery out of the process.
I particularly like the series by Hoffman Reproductions.
Jim, I bet you could put any revolver with Colt guts back together blindfolded.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:32 am Jim, I bet you could put any revolver with Colt guts back together blindfolded.
I do know I have taken apart more than a few over the years. :lol:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I still have some triple seven that I bought when I tried to squeeze a bit more power from a Uberti .31 pocket Colt but alas at the moment I have nothing to shoot it with.
The 1851 Navy was always my favourite revolver, I may even buy an antique Colt just to beat the insane gun laws over here.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Man... ther is just nothing quite like firing an 1851! One trick I use on mine is to pack the action with Lucas synthetic grease. I only disassemble the action about once a year. Something to do when housebound in bad weather. I skip the Windex, with or w/o ammonia... plain hot water works just as well for me. Wipe out the inside of the frame and arbor, lube those and the back of the cylinder with T-C Bore Butter, a dab of grease on the nipple threads, reassemble and put away in the safe!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Griff wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:47 am Man... ther is just nothing quite like firing an 1851! One trick I use on mine is to pack the action with Lucas synthetic grease. I only disassemble the action about once a year. Something to do when housebound in bad weather. I skip the Windex, with or w/o ammonia... plain hot water works just as well for me. Wipe out the inside of the frame and arbor, lube those and the back of the cylinder with T-C Bore Butter, a dab of grease on the nipple threads, reassemble and put away in the safe!

This caught my eye Griff. In Alaska I packed the spaces between rifle stock and all the non-moving parts with water-proof wheel bearing grease. changed it every year after the venison was in... for the SBH i smeared grease where i couldn't contact it, and where it couldn't contact moving parts. made a huge difference in the salt-laden ocean air.... the bottom of the rifles looked showroom new . . .

-grizz
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Everyone has their own way of doing many things. And it doesn't mean other ways don't work or aren't OK. I like hearing about other ways of doing things, even if I don't plan on trying it. Knowledge stored up CAN be used if needed. I hate some places where, if you post some thing that is different, folks start arguing about what is best etc. etc. etc. I try to find what works for me but keep open to the fact there are probably other ways to do it and sometimes other ways are an improvement.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JimT wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:18 amEveryone has their own way of doing many things. And it doesn't mean other ways don't work or aren't OK. I like hearing about other ways of doing things, even if I don't plan on trying it. Knowledge stored up CAN be used if needed. I hate some places where, if you post some thing that is different, folks start arguing about what is best etc. etc. etc. I try to find what works for me but keep open to the fact there are probably other ways to do it and sometimes other ways are an improvement.
Eggsackerly! Who knows, someday I may not have access to hot water, but do have Windex... I have used it in the past... and it works.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

It's like flavors of ice cream... tons out there, most are delicious, just a matter of personal taste. :D