Questions about QuickLoad

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Questions about QuickLoad

Post by GunnyMack »

I'm considering ordering QuickLoad software. I've read the website but not all the info I'm looking for is explained.
Are the Ackley Improved cartridges listed?
Does QL have ALL the powder makers? I've found 2 Ramshot powders that work in 2 of my rifles but I'd like to see what else they might work in. Yes I've checked the Ramshot site.
Specifically I'm trying to find a load for my .257AI. Not a ton of data out there for this.
Anyhow, those that use QL do you have any hints, issues ?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Questions about QuickLoad

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

My version is a bit dated, but it has some Ackley cartridges. I can't remember if the 257 is one that's included, I'll try to remember to looks this evening.
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

Posted that last post before I meant to. I had a 257AI about 20 years ago, I was loading H4831, WC852 and the 4350's. I started with 257 Roberts data and increased the charges a bit----I never did push it. I was happy when I found a load that shot good that was a hundred FPS or so over the 257 Roberts. A chronograph is a good tool to have. There is a formula out there that estimates the velocity using the increase in case capacity and I've found it works pretty well with single base powders. I'll also look for it this evening or maybe someone else will post it today.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

There are a lot of Ack Imp cartridges listed and 257 AI is one of them. There's a cartridge drawing of the 257 AI when you select it to make sure yours matches.
257AckImp.PNG
I just did the recent update so I have the newest files but I can tell you that not all powders from all makers are in there.

When I select the cartridge, a 100 grain Sierra SP (#1620) for it, and set peak pressure at 41kpsi with a barrel length of 26", I see two Ramshot powders that come up as viable ... Magnum and Hunter.

It says 55.2 grains of Magnum should get 3021fps and 47.3 grains of Hunter at 3006fps. Mind you, I've not jiggered with the COAL, and you may have a 24" barrel, and your case capacity in grains of water may differ, etc, etc.

You'd have to make all of those adjustments to get a proper run in the QL software. But yes, Ramshot powders are in there.

Reloder - 26 comes at the top of the efficiency list under the conditions I set. Not that you can actually buy any Alliant powders these days.

QL has most powder makers, even ones we can't get here. QL has ADI, Accurate, Alliant, Bofors, Elcho, Fiocchi, Hodgdon, IMR, Lovex, Maxam, NitroChemie, Norma, PB Clermont, Ramshot, Raufoss, ReloadSwiss, Rottweil, SNPE, Shooters World, SomChem, Vihtavouri, Winchester, and some other small ones we can't get.

Some powders we get from US distributors are actually ADI or Bofors or other powders. You can see this when you run a simulation and both powders show with identical attributes. Trail Boss and ADI AS 25 BP for example.

Some powders are not characterized for QL though ... for example, CFE Pistol isn't in there yet. Some of the St. Marks made powders are missing.

As far as hints go ...

1) measure the water capacity of a fired case in grains and modify the case in QL to match what you are working with.

2) you have to include the cylinder length when you're simulating for a revolver ... you can't just put in the barrel length of the gun. QL assumes the cartridge takes up space at the breech end of the barrel.

3) measure your bullets and verify/adjust what is shown in QL to match, ditto for case length.

4) be careful when setting up a propellant search ... it's not as intuitive as one would like it to be.

I'm sure Earl has many more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

I’ve run into problems with QL and quit using it many years ago, things may have changed but I’ll not use it any more. Seems they didn’t actually use test barrels and pressure sensors but used computing of burn rate to calculate load data, blew a few primers and split some cases, using less than mid range data.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:56 am There are a lot of Ack Imp cartridges listed and 257 AI is one of them. There's a cartridge drawing of the 257 AI when you select it to make sure yours matches.

257AckImp.PNG

I just did the recent update so I have the newest files but I can tell you that not all powders from all makers are in there.

When I select the cartridge, a 100 grain Sierra SP (#1620) for it, and set peak pressure at 41kpsi with a barrel length of 26", I see two Ramshot powders that come up as viable ... Magnum and Hunter.

It says 55.2 grains of Magnum should get 3021fps and 47.3 grains of Hunter at 3006fps. Mind you, I've not jiggered with the COAL, and you may have a 24" barrel, and your case capacity in grains of water may differ, etc, etc.

You'd have to make all of those adjustments to get a proper run in the QL software. But yes, Ramshot powders are in there.

Reloder - 26 comes at the top of the efficiency list under the conditions I set. Not that you can actually buy any Alliant powders these days.

QL has most powder makers, even ones we can't get here. QL has ADI, Accurate, Alliant, Bofors, Elcho, Fiocchi, Hodgdon, IMR, Lovex, Maxam, NitroChemie, Norma, PB Clermont, Ramshot, Raufoss, ReloadSwiss, Rottweil, SNPE, Shooters World, SomChem, Vihtavouri, Winchester, and some other small ones we can't get.

Some powders we get from US distributors are actually ADI or Bofors or other powders. You can see this when you run a simulation and both powders show with identical attributes. Trail Boss and ADI AS 25 BP for example.

Some powders are not characterized for QL though ... for example, CFE Pistol isn't in there yet. Some of the St. Marks made powders are missing.

As far as hints go ...

1) measure the water capacity of a fired case in grains and modify the case in QL to match what you are working with.

2) you have to include the cylinder length when you're simulating for a revolver ... you can't just put in the barrel length of the gun. QL assumes the cartridge takes up space at the breech end of the barrel.

3) measure your bullets and verify/adjust what is shown in QL to match, ditto for case length.

4) be careful when setting up a propellant search ... it's not as intuitive as one would like it to be.

I'm sure Earl has many more.
This↑↑↑
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

Loaddata.com has a good bit of 280 Remington/Ackley data on it. The have a listing there for Sierra bullets using some Ramshot powders. It does require you buy a subscription though.
The Lord Bless You

Terry
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I always like to see what QL "thinks" about a load and compare that with actual chronograph results. And I do use QL for suggestions on powders for which I don't have published load data but always bounce QL suggestions against what seems reasonable.

That said, my closest to an "oopsy" here in the last decade was taking a Lil' Gun starting load for my k-hornet straight from the Hodgdon web site. Hoo Aaah! Had to pound that case outa' the chamber with a steel rod. Though QL pretty much agreed with Hodgdon and coulda' also got me in trouble. I'm pretty sure I got an extra hot batch of Lil' Gun with the first pound of it I bought and have had good results ever since I got an 8# jug.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Just to help you understand the need to have an accurate case capacity in grains of water ... the base data in QL show 63 grains for a 257 AI. If I lower that by 3% to 61 grains, those loads I listed in the prior post move from 41kpsi to 44kpsi. All from a 3% case volume change.

I learned of the importance of this when building loads for my 450 Alaskan. The QL data had the Alaskan case capacity 7 grains higher than what I had in my real cases. They also had the case length set longer, more to the length of the 450 Fuller. I fired 2 of those pre-measure rounds and called it quits and went back to QL to learn why things were so far off.

When I measured and changed these parameters in QL, I got results that were much closer to my chronograph results ... and less hammer of the gods to my shoulder. I should probably thank John Browning and his '86 action that I didn't get hurt.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Those of you with Quickload, I have a question. I've heard that it doesn't deal well with straight walled cartridges like .357 & .44 mag. What is your experience with those type of calibers? What other limitations does it have?
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

See this is why I asked about QL! A whole learning curve to develop!

Of course those to Ramshot powders aren't the ones I have! :lol:

I've always went by the book, 2 of my manuals have 257 AI data, I've run quite a few different powders but just haven't found ' the load ' yet. Yup use Roberts data and work up I know. In the 30 years ( i put it together on a Mexican Mauser) I have had this rifle I haven't found anything great. I play with it and put it away then repeat every few years. From 75s, 85s,90s,100s & 120s nothing stands out. Ill burn out the barrel before I find a load!

Guess I gotta do some thinking on whether or not to get the software.
Thank you all!

Oops! Not Ramshot, Accurate powders?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

loaddata.com has some Accurate powder data as well.
The Lord Bless You

Terry
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

COSteve wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:43 pm Those of you with Quickload, I have a question. I've heard that it doesn't deal well with straight walled cartridges like .357 & .44 mag. What is your experience with those type of calibers? What other limitations does it have?
The only thing in that category that I have is .38 Special and my last loading of that happened pre-QuickLoad for me. I'm going to try it out on .45 Colt, but I'm not quite there yet. I assume you mean "long straight walled" where the .38 Special would barely qualify.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:54 am I'm considering ordering QuickLoad software.
Others here have discussed QuickLoad, which is a good, but not infallible, product. (No existing simulation software is infallible.)

You might see if P-max, which is free, might fit your needs. You'll need to make your own measurements of case capacity and bullet length to compute net case capacity. This Powley computer can help with the calculations.

P-max also has a free black powder simulator.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Thanks for that KWK! I have bookmarked the site. Although this lists a powder I'd like to try but as I don't have a starting charge weight it doesn't really help me out. Good info none the less!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

The idea behind a simulator is to let you compute a starting charge. Guess at the charge and look at the predicted velocity and peak pressure. If the predicted pressure is down around, say 45,000 psi, that would be a reasonable starting load.

QuickLoad estimates the empty case capacity as 63 gn water, and with the classic 117 RN, the net case capacity is 57.5 gn. For a wildcat cartridge, you could use 62,000 psi as a peak pressure.

With any of these, it's best to compare the simulator's load for a given powder to that from a load book for a similar cartridge using the same powder. What powder and bullet do you have in mind?

Do chronograph your loads as you work up. My experience with reloading software is that the relation between peak pressure and velocity is usually better estimated than is charge weight.

I compared a few "virtual" loads with the slower Ramshot powders. The two simulators aren't far apart.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'd like to try CFE223 as I have it in quantity. Recently had good results from Ramshot TAC in another cartridge so maybe try that too. As for bullets I'm looking for 85,90& 100 grainers.
Hodgen only lists 2 powders, neither of which I have. Two manuals I have list 1 or 2 powders that I have tried but lack luster results. These manuals also list other powders I don't have and can't find which leads me back to try and find data for powders I have.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

It looks to me like CFE223 works. I don't know your COAL, bullet used, barrel length, case capacity, etc, etc. TAC also looks good in that .257 AI.

Reloder-26 looks really good in that cartridge. I'm looking for some of that stuff myself for the .270 Win. Seems to he pretty unobtainable at the moment.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Thanks Nut, yes I figured both would work but not knowing a start point I'm kind of stuck. I need to also invest in a Hornady COAL gauge and get Hornady to make me a case for finding the throat. But again it's one of those on going projects...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Here's how I'd come up with a starting load for CFE 223 in the .257 Roberts AI.

I don't have an AI case on hand, but my copy of QuickLoad says the empty, fired case is about 63 gn water to the case mouth. (Published data for the standard Bob is 56 gn.) QL says the 100 gn Hornady SP is .99 long, the case is 2.23, and the COL is 2.79 inches. (QL gives these to the .001, but that's excessive.) As a wildcat, presumably in a modern bolt action, 62,000 psi should be a reasonable top end.

Next I plug these numbers into the Powley computer and set a 24" barrel length for a .257" diameter 100 gn bullet. It suggests IMR 4350 is a good burn rate. It also gives 3126 fps as a goal for the chronograph. Pushing it to 50,000 CUP (which is about 62,000 psi), it thinks one might get 3366 fps. However, the Powley tends to be optimistic at the upper end.

I next look at Hodgdon's current burn rate chart and see that 4350 is slower than CFE 223, but 4064 is faster, so CFE 223 is a reasonable prospect.

The Powley computer gave the net case (space under the bullet available for powder) as 57.2 gn of water, which is the number P-max wants. Now I take the numbers I have in the Powley computer and put them into P-max. As an initial guess on the charge weight, I'll use the 49 gn charge weight suggested by the Powley computer (albeit for the slower powder).

P-Max is not at all happy with this, reckoning 77,000 psi and 3390 fps. A few more guesses on the charge weight and I have 46 gn for nearly 62,000 psi and 3204 fps. Simulators such as P-max and QL are pretty crude, actually, so you're pushing the safety limits with the top end.

Since I own a copy of QL, I try it with the P-max top load of 46 gn and find it's not close, giving 45,000 psi and 3014 fps, so the pressure and fps relationship is different in the two simulators. Playing with the powder charge in QL, 62,000 psi comes at 51.3 gn of CFE 223 for 3329 fps. This is a very substantial difference.

A sanity check is needed, by testing against loads in analogous cartridges for which there is published data. On Hodgdon's site, there isn't much CFE 223 data in larger cases. Scaling by the cross section area of the bores, you get a bullet weight (same SD) in the .277 of 116 gn and an empty case of 73 gn. The Powley computer has a link to a list of case capacities, and it looks as if the 270 Win case, at 68 gn, has about this proportion.

With Hodgdon's data, there's CFE 223 data for a 110 gn bullet (but no 115 gn) in the 270. At the top end, it has 62,000 psi and 3304 fps from 53.6 gn of powder. Hey, we're in the ball park.

I switch to the 270 in both simulators. A little trial and error with the charge weight, and Hodgdon's 61,700 psi top end comes at

lab : 53.6 gn 3304 fps
QL : 58.4 gn 3375 fps
P-max : 52.6 gn 3257 fps

So, with CFE 223 in a case of this proportion, P-max is much better than QL at estimating charge weight and gives a safer estimate for the goal on the chronograph. Score one for the freebie.

At this point, I'd say the P-max estimate for top speed with CFE 223 in the AI, which was 3200 fps, is likely achievable, but I wouldn't push it so. Given the numbers, for my starting load, I'd take about 10% off the top end load from P-max and begin with 42 gn CFE 223. Hodgdon used the Win LR primer in the 270, and I'd stick with that. I'd work up the load to no more than 3050 fps, or about 5% below the P-max top load. It wouldn't be insane to try to work up to 3200 fps, but I prefer to be conservative.

(Note the ancient Powley computer was also in the ball park with regards to fps and powder selection.)
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

KWK, thank you for that, lots of good stuff there to digest.
As you say CFE223 is in the ball park but im leary to put unpublished loads in a case and pull the trigger! Just so much can go wrong.
This Mexican Mauser is the orignal heat treatment, it's a strong action regardless but in no way do I want to blow it up!! I've got home work to do on this.
I need to go try these 4350 loads so I can do a water capacity weight and get a baseline...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 7:54 pm This Mexican Mauser is the orignal heat treatment...
Okay, I missed that, so the 62,000 psi is out the window. Be aware that these crude simulators (both P-max and QL) are optimized for pressures in the 50s. Accuracy falls off in either direction with psi.

To what pressure are you comfortable running your Mauser? What's the barrel length?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I would have to look at load books to figure a PSI range. I just loaded some IMR4350 and if the book load shows pressure ( it should) ill post that as a working reference.
As for barrel length I don't remember if it's 20 or 22"- gotta open the safe and get out a tape!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

So the 3 load books I have with 257 AI data do not show PSI, 2 do have load density and they don't match!
Hornady 8th edition
IMR4350
min 40.7gr =2800fps
max 45.3=3100
Nosler #4
min 46.0=2978 81% load density
max 50.0=3208 88%
Nosler #9
min 46.0=2978 87%
max 50.0=3208 94%

Looking at the Hornady data MAX being less than the Nosler start loads is kind of unnerving, whose data is right? Is the Nosler data higher capacity? Until I cough up $120 for 50 I won't know. All my brass has been sized, annealed and cleaned.
This batch of loads I have is the Nosler data, 5 each of 46.0,47.0,48.0,49.0 and 50.0. As soon as I can get out to shoot these over the chrono I'll get some actual data.

Oh and my barrel is 22".
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Looking at Nosler #9, I see that case capacity ( water) changes between bullets. It's not total case capacity. Velocities are from a 24" barrel.
All are lit by Federal 210 primer.
4350 is shown as most accurate powder tested with 100 gr bullet.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 6:03 amThis batch of loads I have is the Nosler data, 5 each of...
What's the bullet weight for that Nosler data?

Out of curiosity, I'll look at P-max with CFE 223 and compare it to various loads in Hodgdon's on-line data, to see how well it tracks lab data across a few cartridges.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Bullet weight for this batch I have loaded? 100 gr.

The case capacity changes are for 85,90,100,110 & 120 a couple grains total.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

GunnyMack wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:53 am Bullet weight for this batch I have loaded? 100 gr.

The case capacity changes are for 85,90,100,110 & 120 a couple grains total.
The heavier bullets seat deeper in the case and take capacity away from the powder. That's why it's important to know what bullet you're using and what your empty water capacity is to start with. And what your COAL is so you know how deep into the case the bullet is sitting and therefore, how much space it's taking away. Just a few grains of water capacity difference can result in thousands of PSI of difference.

I would set a max average pressure limit of 42Kpsi on that older action and start with 40 ~ 42 grains of CFE223 and chrono those loads looking for 2600 - 2750fps. If you're looking for 3000+, work your way up slowly obviously. QL thinks 40 grains is 31Kpsi and 42 is 35Kpsi. But we still don't know what bullet you're talkin about, just that it's 100 grains. It could be a BTHP and be longer than a flat base SP. Granted, this will probably only marginally affect the pressures ... unless it was a solid copper Barnes or something like that.

Maybe 2750 fps is good in that rifle ... no need to light the world on fire from the get go.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

It's a Sierra Game King, of course I'm not at the bench but I did get an oal and forgot to include that.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

COSteve wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:43 pmThose of you with Quickload, I have a question. I've heard that it doesn't deal well with straight walled cartridges like .357 & .44 mag. What is your experience with those type of calibers? What other limitations does it have?
I haven't run any loads for either the .357 or .44 thru my copy... I only have two Rossi carbines in .357, and neither has been shot since just after my wife passed away in 2019. I did do some projections to find out what my 45 Colt loads look like. It's pretty much right on the money with my testing of my most used smokeless load at that time. I tested 6.5 grains of RedDot behind my 230 grain TC with Winchester LP primers several years back (2017?).
Shortly after than testing, I reduced my load to just 6.0 grains of RedDot. (I didn't need loads in that velocity range for most of my lever gun activities. Cowboy action & Wild Bunch shooting). After getting Quick Load, I ran that data out of curiosity. It tells me to expect 1,138 fps @ 15,620 psi out of my 18-½" bbl. My actual avg was 1,068... mainly due to one round that only 1,019 fps, 1 @ 1,067 while the other 3 were: 1,082, 1,083 & 1,090. Lyman's 50th Handbook, gives a max load of 6.5 grains of RedDot with two 250 grain lead bullets, one @ 1,002fps and the other @ 1,005fps. They list the two firearms used a Winchester 94 16" and a Universal receiver with a 20" bbl. I don't know which was used in their testing. Nor do they show any pressure data. None of the loads I shot in any of my 6 45 Colt rifles exhibited any signs of pressure like I would expect from the QuickLoad data projection. In fact, I have 2 toggle links with 24-¼" bbls, and they both showed an avg vel of 883 & 896 fps. Only the Browning 1885 with it's 24" bbl was slower with an avg of 781.6 fps. (But that had 3 of the 5 rounds with a measured velocity well under 800 fps, so could be a fault of my chronograph). The next fastest was the 17" Marlin 1894 with an avg of 911.74 fps, and finally, the Rossi 20" with an avg of 839.86 fps.

I bought the Quick Load program earlier this year as I wanted to have a little more than a SWAG (silly wild-butt guess) in loading for my .32-40 1885. Most reloading manuals no longer list loads for it. And my 45th Lyman doesn't list one for the weight bullet I'm casting. Although both the 49 & 50th Lyman books do. I prefer to verify loads with more than just one or two loading manuals.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

So this Game King has a length of .961 and the book calls for COAL of 2.765".
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

QL has that bullet #1625 at 0.991". But there are sometimes errors in their data.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

These bullets are OLD, be my guess they have changed them recently to help improve the BC.
Unless I wrote down the number wrong! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Before you pay money for Quickloads, you might look at Gordon's Reloading Tools free ballistic program. I've been using the GRT program, and although it took awhile to figure it out, now that I have it's a great program, and the free price is great for a penny pincher like me!

https://grtools.de/doku.php
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Thank you marlinman, I'll look into that!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Nosler's data on-line for the AI is limited to the 85 gn load. I looked at the IMR 4350 data. Using QL to match the fps with "4350" from IMR, Accurate, and Hodgdon, all suggest Nosler's data is running in the upper 50s on pressure.

I looked at a few more cartridges in Hodgdon's CFE-223 data. Your AI has what Ackley called a large "bore capacity." This is the ratio of empty case to the bore cross section. It's similar in concept to the sectional density of the bullet. Analogous cartridges to the 257 AI include the 17 Rem, 220 Swift, 243 Win, 25-06, 270 Win, 7 Rem Mag, and 300 Win Mag. Suitable CFE-223 data is available only for the 243 and 270.

What I look for in a simulator is how well it correlates fps to peak pressure as compared to lab data. It's clear QL gets this ratio wrong for CFE-223; the lab data shows higher pressure for a given fps. P-max is closer, but it, too, was usually low. QL also over estimates too much the charge weight, but P-max is pretty close.

As an aside, with the 4350 class powders, QL was more accurate than P-max. This varies with the powder, and P-max seems to be more variable than QL. I suspect P-max is calibrated with load book data. I'll guess QL was calibrated in a production rifle which happened to be loaded with a "slow" lot of CFE-223. (It's possible both are calibrated in a "bomb calorimeter.")

Assuming mid 40's for the pressure, P-max suggests starting with 38 gn of CFE-223 would be reasonable, working up to no more than 2800 fps at around 40 gn.

Do let us know how it goes.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Good info KWK, thanks for that.
I'll load a few at 38.0 and try it, see what happens. If no pressure I'll try 39, then 40.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

One point I forgot to make: None of the load book data for CFE-223 which I considered was in the mid-40s. At the combination of relative case size and bullet SD, all the starting loads were a little above 50,000 psi. Some powders can be peculiar at lower pressures, but I've not read that CFE-223 is one of those. CFE-223 is near the "slow" range of burning rates, and in general, there is a warning against greatly reduced loads of very slow powders.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I saw a published load for Bob with CFE223, ill compare that to your start and see .

Ok it's for an 80 gr Barnes it shows 35.0 to start to 39.0. With the improved case shape/ capacity I think a starting load of 38 is probably spot on. But without trying it ill never know. Hopefully this weekend I'll burn some powder.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Test day is here!
I'm heading over to the club this morning and I'm going to try the CFE223 and the 4350 loads in my 257 AI. Also trying TAC in my 308. Got my chronograph AND tripod ( almost forgot the tripod).
Of course my trusty 77/22 will be along to shoot while waiting for barrels to cool.
Oh yes gotta get my 41 Blackhawk and try some cast loads I cobbled together.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well , 5 each of the 4350 load shot for groups from 46.0 through 50.0. None show any sign on pressure, the Max load was just starting to really flatten the primers, extraction was a non issue. Did they group well? Not really but 49 grains was the best at about 1.25".
Then I tried the CFE223 . This morning I loaded 3 each of 38.0,39.0&40.0 as we discussed. Very light load at 38. The 40 gr load was just about the 46 or 47 gr load of 4350 by looking at the primers. I know how a primer flattens is not a true indication of pressure but it's a way to get a feel for it. Anyhow the 38 & 40 shot about the same at an inch and a half- two. The 39 gr load still has me scratching my head as the group is about 3" and the holes are at 9oclock,1 o'clock and 5 o'clock!
Sadly I couldn't get chronograph data- my chrono has to be hooked up to a phone or tablet and my new phone doesn't have a port to plug it in!.

While waiting for barrel to cool I was shooting my 77/22. I get such a kick out of shooting.22s at distance! It's now sighted in at 100 with CCI standard velocity. I put a match Shilen on this and I bet it'll hold a .75" ten shot group at 100.

One neck split this morning... I gotta get more brass!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!