I'm free .... sort of.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

I'm free .... sort of.

Post by J Miller »

Had the phone interview with the Soc Sec yesterday (Tuesday 9th )for the survivors benefits and the interviewer said they needed proof of our marriage. Marriage license or certificate. She said I could mail it to them and they'd mail it back, ..... ummm, no I don't think so, not when their office is just across town.

So I sat at the computer and made myself a route to get as many things done in one trip as I could. Now to be truthful I do not know this city ( FT Wayne, IN ) at all. Genie did all the driving as my vision deteriorated. So I didn't learn anything.
But with Google maps, a legal tablet and a paper map I made my route.

In one trip I went:

>Post Office - mail bills
>Soc Sec Office - Let them copy the wedding certificate
>BMV (Bureau of Motor Vehicles) - do an eye test to get corrective lens restriction off my license. Since my cataract surgery it seems I have 20-20 vision. Whoo Hooo!
>Taco Bell - food ( it was cold by the time I got home, oh well)
>Auto Zone - couple quarts of oil for the van, I ABOUT HAD A FIT OF APOPLEXY! No regular motor oil, only High Mileage and synthetic oil, and the cheapest oil was almost $9.00 a quart. Needless to say I didn't buy any.
>Hardware store - 3' of 16-2 electrical cord and a plug. I have to make a new cord for my waffle iron. I think Genie hated waffle irons so much that she hid the cords so I couldn't make waffles. We had one double waffle maker that the cord disappeared. So I bought a second waffle maker and used it's cord for both of them. Now that cord is missing. Sigh ... So I have a two prong plug I got off eBay and am gonna make another cord. I'm gonna have my waffles. I'll probably find the other cords later. Well if I do then OK I'll have extras.

It's several hours after getting home and I'm still exhausted. I drove more miles today than I have in years. It has been nearly 8 years since I've been able to see well enough to safely drive, when I took off today I had a case of the scared jitter shakes, but I made it. I'm legal to drive, now I just need to get this place cleaned out so I can go home.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Re: I'm free .... sort of.

Post by samsi »

Congratulations on your successful expedition, but I'm also responding to your waffle iron comment. We have a similar dynamic around here, as I had a really good waffle iron. "Had"...as it mysteriously disappeared about 10 years ago. :lol:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

samsi wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:37 pm Congratulations on your successful expedition, but I'm also responding to your waffle iron comment. We have a similar dynamic around here, as I had a really good waffle iron. "Had"...as it mysteriously disappeared about 10 years ago. :lol:
+1!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Glad to hear you're getting out a bit.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Waffles are okay. But French toast smothered in butter and coated in powdered sugar are my all time favorite breakfast food.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Glad to hear that the cataract surgery went well and you're driving again Joe.. :D
Getting things done and sorted is a pain in the butt but when it's done it's great to be able to just sit back and relax..
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

You have had a tough time Joe. I pray things will continue to go well for Your situation. Now that You can drive again is the Key! Stay Strong.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

PillHer loses cords unless they are permanently attached. She has lost cords just opening the box.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Good to hear from you Joe. And well done.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Got the box with my soldering gun and wire strippers out and got to work yesterday. Assembled the new cord. The single round iron wont work, but the double square one does. Now to get some milk to mix the batter and make me some waffles.

I like French toast too, but waffles first.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Awesome!

And I can relate to your comment about the oil because I am a DIYer. I normally don’t profess to believe in conspiracy theories but find it odd that I can get an oil change plus filter in some places for 40 bucks , (brick and mortar shop, guys with tools performing services etc. etc.

But when I go to buy oil myself it’s the same story as yours. Not nine dollars necessarily but 6 to 7 in my case

Are used to buy 12 packs of oil at Sam’s reasonably cheap and I noticed last time I was there that even that stuff has crept up Significantly in price
----- Doug
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

jeepnik wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:01 am Waffles are okay. But French toast smothered in butter and coated in powdered sugar are my all time favorite breakfast food.
I love French toast. Challah bread makes great French toast.
I make my own mix for waffles. It’s a recipe I got from my mother. It’s unlike any recipe you would find at any restaurant. They’re awesome!
One of my fondest memories as a boy, was sitting at the kitchen table with a bowl of shortening and flour, cutting it into pea sized bits.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Great news! Goin’ mobile!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

:lol: :lol: One step forward, three steps back.

Had a DR apt Thursday, went out, got in the van, .... nothing, battery totally dead. Reschedule appointment. These Chrysler vans have so much electronics on them I don't know what to turn off . Way too complex for me. :roll:

Joe
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

J Miller wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:48 am :lol: :lol: One step forward, three steps back.

Had a DR apt Thursday, went out, got in the van, .... nothing, battery totally dead. Reschedule appointment. These Chrysler vans have so much electronics on them I don't know what to turn off . Way too complex for me. :roll:

Joe
Maybe disconnect the battery when you shut it down? :lol:

Just kidding. I found the Owners Manual to be a big help for me.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

J Miller wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:48 am :lol: :lol: One step forward, three steps back.

Joe
symptom of an unhealthy battery, or alternator. if you have a volt meter you can measure the charge after a couple of days idle for the battery condition, and measure the alternator output when it is turning. sometimes it is just corroded terminal connections... sometimes it is both. . .

rock auto will be about cheapest price, but pep boys or auto zone might swap battery and alt for you. hope this helps, cause I BTDT a couple of times . . .

grizz