Japanese Winchesters are pretty good

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Japanese Winchesters are pretty good

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I’ve been shooting a Winchester (Japanese) for a few years now and have never had any complaints. It’s a finely made rifle and it shoots very well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Japanese Winchesters are pretty good

Recently I traded into a Japanese Winchester 73 SRC. It’s not as slick and smooth as the 66. But I think I like it better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

My Miroku 1892 is the most accurate levergun I own and is smooth as silk. My only complaint is that their finishes are not as good as "real" winchesters
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Five rounds standing at 100 yards
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

What caliber?
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

.45 Colt. Same load I shoot in my sixguns.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

That's a nice 1866 you have. Miroku stopped making that model, didn't they?
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I bought one of the new '73s in .45 Colt about two years ago. I'd been looking for an SRC like yours, but came across a Davidson's special addition with a 26" barrel and 2/3ds magazine. I put a tang sight on it last summer and have been quite pleased with how accurate it is. Fast becoming a favorite to tote around the PA woods or just going out to burn some powder.

Still want an SRC though.

jb
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

kaschi wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:43 pm That's a nice 1866 you have. Miroku stopped making that model, didn't they?
I don’t know. I jumped on it as soon as I could because it seems that I always wait too long and something I want will be discontinued.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have 3 Miroku "Winchesters". The first one I bought from a friend about 1988, a 1986 mfg'd 1886 in 45-50 with the octagon 26" bbl. It is rugged, smooth and absolutely flawless in it's fit and finish. The 2nd I got is a 1885 Low Wall in 45 Colt. It is also finely fitted and finished,and scary accurate. It's 20" ½-rnd/oct bbl is light, handy and I can't wait to use it on havelinas! The last I got from a Forum member last year and I'm still sorting out a favored load. It's also an 1885, but a Hi Wall in .32-40. So far I've shot both BP & smokeless thru it, yet to determine which it likes best. The two 1885s have tang peeps on them, and I've got a Lyman 17a for both, just have to install it on the .32-40. I really like its octagon 26" bbl. A wonderfully long sight radius for irons.
Browning.jpg
DSCN0642.JPG
DSCN1423.JPG
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

I too am a fan of the Miroku Winchesters. I have an 1886 Takedown made in 1999 and an 1892 Short Rifle made in 2017. Very nice fit and finish, functionality and accuracy are spot on. I'd place them a tick higher in quality over a Uberti, and I hold Uberti rifles in pretty high regard, I have one of their 1876 in 45-60. Two years ago I had Turnbull work over the '86 and ream it to 45-90 and turn it into the rifle I've dreamed of owning for years.
IMG_20220912_155915490.jpg
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I just discovered that my 73 will feed these 270 grain bullets just fine! Not something that I expected but I am really happy about it!

Shoots to the sights at 25 yards but doesn’t seem to group with my standard loads at 100.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Sun May 14, 2023 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

Got a pair of these Browning Winchester 1886's, if these count, made in Miroku Factory, no safety's, just your brain, as God intended. Fine shooters.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I think they count.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:28 amI think they count.
Some folks seem to feel the Browning 1886s from the 1980s are best 1886s ever made. Mine may not be quite as buttery smooth as an original... but for a rifle with less than 1,000 rounds thru it... quite smooth enough for my purposes.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!