Ahhh, the Smell of BP

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Ahhh, the Smell of BP

Post by Griff »

I'm not one of the folks that lives for "big" matches... i.e., International, National, Regional, State, or even club annuals. They all have their "draw", part of which is the ability to meet folks from the "Wire" and visit with folks from regions afar. But... the lowly club monthly match holds the most enjoyment for me. Pressure is less, which for me, means non-existent! The clock is sometimes a factor... as every once-in-a-great-while, I'll crank up the rev-limiter and let throttle wide open... (relative term... wide open for me is choked way down for most folks)!

Today was such a day... I recently got my Paterson's back from being gunsmithed... in other words, they went from non-functioning, to working like a Paterson... which is to say, kinda faster than a single shot! So, I figured it would be a Frontiersman day with the revolver that most think started it all! I wasn't around back then, so I'll take everyone's word on that!

I'd test fired the one recalcitrant Paterson, and while it's as ungainly as all get-out, as evidenced in this video... I had hopes of getting thru a match:

I can only wish that my day went that smoothly... It was much more painful... and while I forgot to turn the camera on... Since there were witnesses, even without pictures, I cannot claim that it didn't happen. The one revolver worked mostly right... and didn't require assistance from the other hand. The second revolver, didn't get the memo that it's supposed to rotate with only the hammer as motive power... for most of the its allotted 5 shots required assistance from the off-hand. But... as they say in the air farce, any landing that one survives is a good landing, all ten shots went off. Therefore I didn't have to take any 5 second penalties for shots not fired!!!

But... after 2 stages of that, I'd had all the fun I needed for the day, and broke out the Colt 1851s. Which as witnessed here, worked flawlessly... now, if only my manipulation of them were as flawless!

Last edited by Griff on Mon May 08, 2023 8:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ahhh, the Smell of BP

Post by Nath »

Good going but I can't see the videos 😔

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

^^^^^
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Nath wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:09 amGood going but I can't see the videos 😔
N.
4t5 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:08 am^^^^^
Okay... I think they're fixed now.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Lol Griff, your hand don't twitch none shooting that Paterson 8)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Nath wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:52 pmLol Griff, your hand don't twitch none shooting that Paterson 8)
That's not how it felt to me. :) :)
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Griff, I hate to theorize before all the facts are in, but I am beginning to suspect you have done some of this before. :lol: 8)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:13 amGriff, I hate to theorize before all the facts are in, but I am beginning to suspect you have done some of this before. :lol: 8)
Bill, I shot my 1st cowboy action match with an 1851 in 1986. So, yes, once or twice. While other folks seem to give 'em up, going to either conversions or to regular cartridge guns, the c & b just continues to be my favorite. My 1st c & b revolver:
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/ ... ns/ASM.jpg
An Armi San Marco I bought new in 1986 from EMF. It was reputed to be made of left over parts from Uberti's contract for Colt's 2nd Series in the 1970s. And in fact, parts do interchange with 'em. Even to using the same sae screws. It broke a hand spring early on, and a Southern California gunsmith adapted a Ruger plunger & coil spring to it. Also installing a Manhattan conversion, (narrowed hammer & slot), to keep caps from inside the action. And both mods work like intended. I've had the same mods done to my other 1851s. Including both Colt's used in the above video. Add one of Heinie trigger/bolt wire springs, and I find them to be as reliable as a cartridge gun, if you load them properly. If I ever recommend a mod for a C&B, be assured those will be among 'em! I've left the mainspring alone on mine, as I once tried lightening it, but caps didn't pop reliably, so I went back to stock. I suppose you could lighten it slightly, but how much & still have reliable ignition, isn't something I experimented with.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I wonder how reliable the originals were and if maybe that led to Colt's original business problems.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:24 amI wonder how reliable the originals were and if maybe that led to Colt's original business problems.
I've read that after the Patersons were brought out, they were problematic and the company floundered. It wasn't until the contract for the Walker's came about that he could get the financing he needed to reorganize and start anew. I'm sure it's not an insignificant fact that the Patent Firearms Co. became defunct while Colt's Patent Firearms Co. became the giant it did.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!