Garage/Basement practice.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Garage/Basement practice.....

Post by Ray »

m.A.g.a. !
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Garage/Basement practice.....

Post by gamekeeper »

I thought the loose fitting primers would be a problem and can't see why they designed them that way. On some old Westerns you can see wax bullets splatter on barrels and water troughs that the hero or villain hide behind.

The Arizona Ghost Riders is one of my favourite channels... :)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

gamekeeper wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:41 am I thought the loose fitting primers would be a problem and can't see why they designed them that way. On some old Westerns you can see wax bullets splatter on barrels and water troughs that the hero or villain hide behind.

The Arizona Ghost Riders is one of my favourite channels... :)
Loose fitting primers can indeed be a problem in revolvers where they can back out and lock up the cylinder.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I'm not sure that is viable as designed. It would seem to me that maybe having to stick a pencil (toothpick, Allen wrench, etc.) down the case to pop out a spent 209 primer when building up a set of loads is not really burdensome.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Years ago Speer put out plastic cartridges with plastic "heel" bullets that were primer-powered for indoor practice. They were "bore-riding" diameter. My Dad bought us some of them. Eventually we began hot-rodding them with a little Bullseye under the plastic bullets but that eventually destroyed the bullets and we went back to standard cases with enlarged flash holes and paraffin wax.

I decided to see what the .44-40 Model 92 would do with 10 gr. of Bullseye and a wax bullet. I set a 1" thick oak board in the fireplace and fired into it from about 10 feet. The wax bullet punched a nice clean hole through the oak but left no marks at all on the fireplace brick behind it.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

JimT wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:47 am ... The wax bullet punched a nice clean hole through the oak but left no marks at all on the fireplace brick behind it.
Ouch. That's a bit more dangerous than one would have assumed.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:02 pm
JimT wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:47 am ... The wax bullet punched a nice clean hole through the oak but left no marks at all on the fireplace brick behind it.
yessir. Used with good results in the book UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES. If you haven't read it, you probably should consider it. Written 20-some years ago, it is still worth the history it contains.
weiler
Levergunner

Post by weiler »

JimT wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 2:51 pm
Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:02 pm
yessir. Used with good results in the book UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES. If you haven't read it, you probably should consider it. Written 20-some years ago, it is still worth the history it contains.
Think Henry Bowman used nylon “bullets” or some synthetic material, havent read it in a few years, about due!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

weiler wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:06 pm Think Henry Bowman used nylon “bullets” or some synthetic material, havent read it in a few years, about due!
You are right. They were the "plastic" that was called "nylon" back then.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Half inch diameter hot glue sticks are seldom as much as that..... 7/16" is more like it.....nigh-on .44 cal.

If you can ever dope-out the arkansan elevation, they make for excellent gato dissuaders. Cut in 3/8" length (wadcutters) shoehorned into a case over a pinch or bullseye or reddot.
m.A.g.a. !
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I also used some of those Speer plastic bullets to try, but not with very good accuracy. I then found a company selling bullets that were blue and cast from dental wax mix, and they were only slightly better as the wax began to fill up the grooves in the rifling, and accuracy soon went away until cleaned.
I gave up on shooting in the basement or backyard with my CF guns, and just switched to pellet guns.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

I ordered a sample pack from the above linked quick draw folk. They worked flawlessly from a bond derringer, a ruger sixgun and a pietta fivegun and all hit the cardboard box at about 15 feet.

There is no problem with the shotshell primer being loose in the case. The problem is the inherent design of shotshell primers. They are actually conventional primers inside an outer cup. Before the component drought, fiocchi and others made primers for reloading these cups at a savings of two or three cents per for your effort. The flash hole in this outer cup is miniscule so the inner primer protrudes on firing since it does not have the backwards inertia of recoil to reseat itself. Hence need mentioned above to drill out flash holes of cases for wax bullet use.
m.A.g.a. !