Suppressors and accuracy…???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Suppressors and accuracy…???

Post by AJMD429 »

No. 1 Son (only one) wants to put suppressor on back country rifle but would like to use quick disconnect of some sort since it is a pack rifle and shortness is better when packing.

His question that I can’t answer is whether the quick disconnect systems impact accuracy or repeatability, and if there are differences.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Suppressors and accuracy…???

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

On all the rifles I use a suppressor on, most will change point of impact when taking off or putting on the suppressor. What I mean by this is that if I shoot a group with the suppressor on, it will generally print lower by some amount than when the suppressor is not on. But this change is fairly consistent from time to time.
Group sizes are about the same with the suppressor on or off.
Many of my rifles that I use suppressors on are light, back country rifles.
Other rifles that I don't pack, that have stiff, heavier barrels are not affected as much.
In lever guns I have a Marlin Dark 30-30, and they have a fairly short barrel, and it will change point of impact a little, but not much.
In my experience, short and short stiff barrels don't change point of impact as much as long, thin barrels.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

It may move it slightly but some shoot better. I think it's because less noise and recoil make people shoot better. I have a quick connect Omega 9K on an MP5 clone with a 3 lug mount. If I don't mount it exactly the same each time, it moves about 1/2" at 25 yards. So I marked the suppressor to line up with the same lug each time.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

As stated all suppressors change POI some with the stiffer barrels not as much. The newer suppressors will improve the accuracy of most rifles as it changes the barrel harmonics. I use a Surefire on my .308s and .5.56s and a Rugged Obsidian 45 on my bush guns up to .458 SOCOM I don't have one rated for 45-70. Both have fast attach mounts with the Rugged having interchangeable mount options.
Surefire (very accurate, POI at 6 0'clock))
AR10 002.jpg
Rugged Obsidian 45 (mounted on a threaded .44 Mag Rossi)
44 Rossi Rugged Obsiden.jpg
Rugged mounted on the 3 lug HK MP-5 barrel
Arch 2020 (2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Good topic.
I’ve wanted one for a 22 but I am afraid to touch the gun. It’s one of the first Ruger 10/22 takedowns. It doesn’t have a threaded barrel and after I tried a dozen or so different rounds I found one that is stupid accurate. If I sort the rounds by weight it’s even more accurate. I would really be disappointed if I screwed up the harmonics by threading the barrel.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Tycer wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:47 pm Good topic.
I’ve wanted one for a 22 but I am afraid to touch the gun. It’s one of the first Ruger 10/22 takedowns. It doesn’t have a threaded barrel and after I tried a dozen or so different rounds I found one that is stupid accurate. If I sort the rounds by weight it’s even more accurate. I would really be disappointed if I screwed up the harmonics by threading the barrel.
Buy another one! :D

Or, buy another barrel, threaded. Ruger had a sale last fall and I bought a threaded fluted stainless barrel for 119. Took 6 months to get it though
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

You might want to try one of these:
https://wittmachine.net/product/custom- ... d-adapter/
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have one of those early models as well - and had it threaded (and within a year of me doing so, Ruger came out with the threaded barrel version). Still dead-on accurate. A great combination!