Looking at 7.62 SLR/MSRs. Opinions, thoughts, experiences

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Looking at 7.62 SLR/MSRs. Opinions, thoughts, experiences

Post by 2ndovc »

I have a couple of M1As, but I've been looking at the AR-10s, FN SCAR, and a couple others. I know we're mostly lever actions guys here, but several of us do go to the Dark Side, now and then.
Big show coming up next weekend and was going to take some stuff I'm not all that attached to. Whatever sells, the $ goes back into the collection, so it will either end up in another Winchester, or something a little different.
I've been told that the FN SCAR is about as good as the 7.26 self loader gets, but I've also been looking at the higher end AR-10s and the H&K
MR762A1. Leaning towards the H&K currently, it holds a definite edge in accuracy over the FN, but they use a proprietary magazine like the FN. Not a deal breaker, but an annoyance, none the less.

So, like I said, opinions, thoughts and experiences?

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Looking at 7.62 SLR/MSRs. Opinions, thoughts, experiences

Post by GunnyMack »

I have an Armalite AR10T. Stainless heavy barrel with a break. It uses modified M1A mags( square cutout for the mag catch). BUT the Armalite does not have interchangeable parts with the other AR10 guns.
It's a good shooter but I hate chasing brass so I don't shoot it much.
I'd sell it and get one of my grail guns, a #1 in 9.3x74R in a heart beat!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I have a PTR-91 klone of the HK91. Mags are 20 rounds and cost 3 to 5$ last time. It isn't lightweight. It's lightest with the paratrooper wire stock, heaviest with the wood furniture and Bullet Drop Compensator scope, original high quality optics... mine has the original scope mount system, some newer models have a rail welded to the receiver. I have a rail that clamps to the receiver. Have just plinked with it, it runs. never been anywhere where I could pattern it at long range. I would not want to be in front of it at any range. I might use it on an upcoming hog thinning job . . . . .

I have a friend with the FAL and it's more rifle-like and less tank-like, they are both soft shooting. There were lots of vids of the HK full auto, which is a sight to behold. Here is the manufacturers site >> https://www.ptr-us.com/

https://www.rkguns.com/ptr-91-gi-ptr-10 ... tr101.html

made in USA on original equipment with imported after market accessories, although i don't know what the market is like for wood furniture or the para wire folder stock or the original BDC scopes...

a savage 99 in 308 will hammer my shoulder black and grey and green and blue, the 91 isn't doesn't.

if you want to avoid the assault rifle finger-pointing, which the PTR is not, there is a companion pistol with interchangeable spare parts . . .
Screenshot 2023-04-22 180829-ptr91 pistol.png

grizz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

In 7.62 I have a strong affinity for the Springfield M1A. But that's driven by experience. I've never fired any other "battle rifles" in 7.62. I picked up a Scout Squad when they first came out. I liked the handling of the slightly shorter barrel ove the ful sized M1A. The, even shorter, SOCOM models initially looked appealing, but after shooting one I wasn't impressed by it's handling and increased muzzle blast.

One other note. As much as I likke wood on rifles I have to admit the black synthetic stock is more robust and has an appeal all it's own.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

jeepnik wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:20 pm In 7.62 I have a strong affinity for the Springfield M1A. But that's driven by experience. I've never fired any other "battle rifles" in 7.62. I picked up a Scout Squad when they first came out. I liked the handling of the slightly shorter barrel ove the ful sized M1A. The, even shorter, SOCOM models initially looked appealing, but after shooting one I wasn't impressed by it's handling and increased muzzle blast.

One other note. As much as I likke wood on rifles I have to admit the black synthetic stock is more robust and has an appeal all it's own.
I've had The Squad Scout for some time and love that rifle. I would really like one of the newer Tanker models to go with the other two. Not parting with the M1As, but what got this all started is that I'd like something I can put a more powerful scope on and a little lighter package. I like the open sights on the NM, and the Scout setup (though I have a Leupold on it now, the Vortex is ok, but they aren't the same).
After some more thinking and researching last night, I can go the AR-10 route with a Daniel Defense, Sig or one of the other higher end rifles and have enough left over for a good scope and plenty of magazines,

Grizz,
I've had the PTR and an FAL, and both were great rifles, but two things. First, they pretty much duplicate the size and weight of the M1A, but the deal breaker for me is the left hand charging handle. My left hand has multiple issues, arthritis, some nerve damage etc. I know adrenalin can overcome a lot in some situations, but I can't count on that. Ended up selling both of those rifles, and I really liked the FAL.

I'm enjoying the input Guys!

jb 8)

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

The various AR-10 platforms have poor parts interchangeability ... especially in the magazine catch area. I would stick with the platforms that conform to the SR-25 mag style. I don't know why Armalite did the thing with the M1A mags. It seems like there were plenty of original AR-10 waffle mags floating around, maybe not as many as M1A's. DPMS also muffed their first gen receiver mag wells and catch. It's quite the cluster ... the AR-10 clone world.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I also have a few 7.62x51 options. My latest is a Dessert Tech convertible between 7.62x51 and 5.56 (and a few others). It shoots great, but I have not yet put the 7.62 x51 barrel in it. Very handy for a truck gun, just a little heavier for the larger caliber. barrels come in different lengths, and this one is 5.56 16-inch (suppressed).[/color]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:20 am The various AR-10 platforms have poor parts interchangeability ... especially in the magazine catch area. I would stick with the platforms that conform to the SR-25 mag style. I don't know why Armalite did the thing with the M1A mags. It seems like there were plenty of original AR-10 waffle mags floating around, maybe not as many as M1A's. DPMS also muffed their first gen receiver mag wells and catch. It's quite the cluster ... the AR-10 clone world.
I believe the Armalite was a few years before all the rest.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Paladin wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:08 pm
Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:20 am The various AR-10 platforms have poor parts interchangeability ... especially in the magazine catch area. I would stick with the platforms that conform to the SR-25 mag style. I don't know why Armalite did the thing with the M1A mags. It seems like there were plenty of original AR-10 waffle mags floating around, maybe not as many as M1A's. DPMS also muffed their first gen receiver mag wells and catch. It's quite the cluster ... the AR-10 clone world.
The original Armalite is obviously not the "new" Armalite. The original died off quite a while ago and some noob bought the brand name I believe. I believe Knight's Armament / Mfg revived the AR-10 idea with their SR-25 and then others, like the "new" Armalite followed.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

i had a DPMS 308 and liked it pretty well, but have since replaced it. Patriot Ordinance Factory [ POF ] makes a lightweight very accurate 308 that is about the same size as an AR in 223. it is very expensive ....but i won one, the grand prize, at fund raiser in anchorage. i was getting ready to leave the event and my wife said no ! just stay....we might win. she was right, as usual.

https://pof-usa.com/firearm/revolution/

ruger now has a lightweight 308 as well, for a lot less money than POF though it may not be quite as refined and accurate.

https://ruger.com/products/sfar/models.html

both of these use the standard magazines.

in the past i had an M1A and an HK91 but didnt like the handling characteristics of either one.
cable
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

That SFAR is very attractive for the money. I really like that Ruger and other have downsized to fit the 7.62x51 in the smaller platform. I think we'll see more of that.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Wood and steel for me , next to leverguns the M14 is high on my list . Two of my personal favorites , both of these I machined the receivers and built them from all USGI parts to my taste.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Everyone has their own personal tastes. I knew the M1A/M14 would be popular here and the two that I have, aren't going anywhere. The EBRs have always intrigued me and haven't paid much attention the AR-10s until recently. I prefer the larger calibers over the 5.56 and wanted to experiment with something new.

If nothing else, it's been an interesting discussion.

jb 8)

windy
Levergunner

Post by windy »

I never thought the M14 was much of a fun gun, but I went to the .308 when I got out for a deer rifle since uncle sugar had given me so much familiarization with it. BLR, naturally. I'd never want an M14 for self defense, as I hate to think how many neighbors' walls it'd go through, and the E2 was never worth owl spit, being so uncontrollable--had a friend break his conn rod first shot on a close combat course, and he held it down while it spit out all 20, but he was a football player and about 50 pounds heftier than me; it never went anywhere discernable but didn't kill any of us. I have a short 32WS that I plink with, and it goes along on huckleberry trips with my wife loaded full deck, but that's just to give her a little confidence; the only time I had to shoot something for protection it was a Nylon 76 lever-action .22, and it did the job, eventually--after 14 rounds downrange.
windy
sonny, whar i growed up, "magnum" wuz another word fer "lousy hunter".
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

i like the BLR , gave my daughter a lightweight youth model in 308 and i have the laminated takedown BLR in 30/06 that i often take out to the remote mine in alaska .

i have the remington Nylon 76 also -amazingly light weight and fun !
tell me what you had to use it for defending yourself !?

one of my favorite lever guns
cable
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

took a long inet trip among the light weight 762s, the Ruger SOFAR looks right so far... if i were young i would have one

but I won't be getting one because i can already chuck .30s, and for inside the perimeter i have an AR-50, which should cover my future needs, should Jesus continue to tarry. . . :)

thanks for the topic, very relaxing trip

windy
Levergunner

Post by windy »

Large surly black bear. I was younger and dumber then--I think dumber, I know younger--and my new bride and I had a crazy young black & tan bitch that was very protective of us (another story) and she decided to take him on. darned bear just decided to stay and eat her, so I started shooting, at about 15-20 feet; I had a full load, mixed 22LR hollow points and solids. Bear wouldn't leave, so I kept on picking spots that I thought might get him, but it was late summer, he was fat, and it took all 14 before he gave up and stepped off into the brush. I caught Gypsy, and got a cord around her neck so she couldn't take off after him, and then my knees kinda gave out and I sat down wondering what had just happened. I checked my pockets and found only seven more rounds, but I thought it was wrong to leave a wounded bear in the brush, so I wrapped the cord around my waist so Gypsy couldn't get away and told her to go find him. She looked up at me like I was crazier'n she was--she figgered she run it off, and that was the end of it. It was nearly dark when I got back to the lookout , so I waited until the next morning to go back, this time with the 30-06. Bear had only made it a few steps and gave up the ghost. Northern Idaho, summer of 1967. Illegal as hell, I know, but...
windy
sonny, whar i growed up, "magnum" wuz another word fer "lousy hunter".
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do for you and yours!

I prefer my 10ga and 3&1/2" OO for bear gun or something that starts with a .4x !

Ok, back to the topic on hand!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Have had an 91 for about 40 years. Haven't shot it in many a year, but when I got it, I shot it a lot! It would group about an inch, maybe a bit less with decent ammo. Never really put my AR10 thru its paces like I did the 91
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:17 pm
Paladin wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:08 pm
The original Armalite is obviously not the "new" Armalite. The original died off quite a while ago and some noob bought the brand name I believe. I believe Knight's Armament / Mfg revived the AR-10 idea with their SR-25 and then others, like the "new" Armalite followed.
The Armalite name was bought by Eagle Arms in the 90's. Eagle Arms was started by Karl Lewis. Kinda the opposite of a noob. You may have heard of LMT (Lewi Machine Tool) who made a lot of parts and improvements for Colt. If you want something with the Stoner legacy, the Knights SR25 was designed in conjunction with Eugen Stoner.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

2ndovc wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:32 pm I have a couple of M1As, but I've been looking at the AR-10s, FN SCAR, and a couple others. I know we're mostly lever actions guys here, but several of us do go to the Dark Side, now and then.
Big show coming up next weekend and was going to take some stuff I'm not all that attached to. Whatever sells, the $ goes back into the collection, so it will either end up in another Winchester, or something a little different.
I've been told that the FN SCAR is about as good as the 7.26 self loader gets, but I've also been looking at the higher end AR-10s and the H&K
MR762A1. Leaning towards the H&K currently, it holds a definite edge in accuracy over the FN, but they use a proprietary magazine like the FN. Not a deal breaker, but an annoyance, none the less.

So, like I said, opinions, thoughts and experiences?

jb 8)
As far as the one with the current largest parts supply chain and innovations, the DPMS pattern is it. There are many who make parts and rifles in this pattern. Aero Precision seems to be the most consistent in quality as far as receivers. You can get complete Gucci rifles from several manufacturers. Pretty much any tactical oriented store and hole in the wall shop with AR parts will have DPMS pattern bolt carrier group and receivers. And you hit on the biggest factor which is magazines. The DPMS/SR25 pattern is by far the most popular, with Magpul making 25rnd gen3 windowed mags in that pattern. As far as the SCAR, among SOCOM who uses the SCAR more than anyone, there are mixed feelings. If money is no object, the Sig MCX is as good as it gets.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've seen the DPMS pop up multiple times in the articles I've been reading.

Going to hit my favorite shop tomorrow afternoon to see what I can put my hands on. As much as I like the Sig MCX, the Tread is getting some good reviews at a lower price. That would leave a lot of room for a quality piece of glass.

Thanks again for all the feedback!

jb 8)

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I have an M1 a tanker currently but I’ve been thinking along the same lines as yourself but for a different reason

I am sitting on better than a case of Tula 308 that my old full-size m1a Used to chew through like they were Swedish fish candy

The new tanker not so much. It dimples the primer with no boom With regularity and once when I put the round back in the chamber and try to hit it twice, and we’re still on no go and on eject, pulled the bullet leaving it in the barrel/chamber and decorating the action with lovely communist stick powder.

So logical man would say “ Just sell off the Tula”. But my mind says “ I really could use an HK 91 ((PTR) To burn through this”

I would pull the bullets But the stuff behaved so well and was reasonably accurate with my full-size M1 a I’m thinking the tanker is just a little finicky

I don’t want to spend the cash on and FAL or some of the later model variants you mentioned and I don’t have enough experience with budget at-10’s to want to go down that rabbit hole.
Colt made a really neat one with a monolithic upper a few years back, the 901 maybe? Either that or a FAL Congo style would be what I would be looking at if I was rollin’ deep, as the kids say
----- Doug
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Only issues I've had with Tula is that it's dirty and stinks! Other than that, it's been quite reliable in the guns/ cal. I've shot it in. I've had more issues with S&B. Some of their cartridges are really hot. Especially the .308/ 7.62 and the 10mm. The bushing on my Delta actually broke after 15 rounds and the .308s were all over the paper.

Don't know what to think about your Tanker issues. Is is a Springfield?

jb 8)

Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I guess there is an advantage to being old, my Armalite is a first-model 16-inch carbine with a second-upper in with an 18-inch Proof Carbon Fiber wrapped barrel. In 2002 I built and carried an M-14K (selector switch worked) in Iraq (with the help of a GREAT gunsmith in Colorado Springs) which was to become the M1A SOCOM. After 4 years on an Army Guard Rifle team a friend from the Army AMU rebuilt a M1A Ultra Match and using the scope mount off the M-14K made an M-21 out of it then bought an M1A Scout Squad for an ATV gun in Alaska. The other two .308s I have are a Remington Police Carbine with a 16-inch barrel and my Styer Model 69 Bolt gun. Some of the photos are a bit old as the Remington Carbine has a different stock and the Styer does not have the Kales 6 power scope mounted.
Armalite Carbine
AR10 002.jpg
M-14K
Hide IRAQ m14 c.jpg
M-21
M21c.jpg
Scout Squad
squad.jpg
Remington Police Carbine
Arch's 2010 115.jpg
Styer
Arch's 308.jpg
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

2ndovc wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:12 pm

Don't know what to think about your Tanker issues. Is is a Springfield?

jb 8)
Affirmative. It shoots all manner of Bras-well though
----- Doug