Ian (Forgotten Weapons) had an accident

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Ian (Forgotten Weapons) had an accident

Post by Bill in Oregon »

He was pretty fortunate. Be sure and watch this if you shoot an 1860 Henry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDuoj7KR-CA
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ian (Forgotten Weapons) had an accident

Post by marlinman93 »

This is why Marlin back in 1881 had UMC build .45-70 and .40-60M cartridges for their 1881 Marlin rifles using small primer pockets instead of the usual large primer pockets. But unfortunately in the 1882 military trials Marlin entered their fairly new Model 1881 in .45-70, and all ammo used in the trials was supplied by Winchester! The 1881 Marlin performed flawlessly for thousands of rounds, and was a shoe in to win the trials. At least until the 1881 had a chain fire in the mag tube, and detonated numerous cartridges.
Marlin of course was rejected from the trials, and they protested saying their own manuals strictly specified only their small primer ammo was correct for the gun, and Winchester's large primer ammo caused the chain fire. The Army's response was to tell Marlin they had far too much large primer ammo they wanted to use, and weren't going to change for their rifle to be accepted.
Of course in the end the 1882 Army Trails were a joke, as they ended up staying with the Trapdoor because "soldiers wont waste ammo, like they would with a repeater". Custer wished his men had repeaters at the Little Bighorn!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Vall, that's very interesting. I had no idea Marlin had specified small rifle primers for the 1881.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:11 pm Vall, that's very interesting. I had no idea Marlin had specified small rifle primers for the 1881.
I have some of the old UMC brass with small primers marked for Marlin rifles. Have to see if I can find them, and take a picture.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thank you Vall... once again, this site provides a learning moment! :D :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Griff wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:14 pm Thank you Vall... once again, this site provides a learning moment! :D :D
Yep
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "