From Gary Reeder: New Rossi Model 92

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

From Gary Reeder: New Rossi Model 92

Post by JimT »

"We got a back order of a new Rossi model 92 in today. This is not something new as they have been out for many years but since since Taurus bought Rossi out the quality has increased tremendously. As is normal the parts were made in their overseas plant and then assembled in their new Bainbridge Georgia plant. The new rifle we received is all stainless and super smooth with no rough or sharp edges. The wood looks like deluxe cherry wood. The action is smooth and the lever can be worked with your little finger. The trigger is again smooth and perfect for a hunting rifle. It is a fine rifle and I found no negative issues at all."
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ysabel Kid

Re: From Gary Reeder: New Rossi Model 92

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Looks like a beauty to me! :D :mrgreen: 8)
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Very nice and seems to lack a bolt safety (can't really tell from the angle of the pics). Nice looking wood too. I bought a NIB stainless SRC in 44-40 about 2008 or so but the wood isn't as nice as that one you're showing. What calibers are these offered in?
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Looks good, I hope they've gotten more conservative about hogging out the chamber at the rear end.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

kaschi wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:35 pm Very nice and seems to lack a bolt safety (can't really tell from the angle of the pics). Nice looking wood too. I bought a NIB stainless SRC in 44-40 about 2008 or so but the wood isn't as nice as that one you're showing. What calibers are these offered in?
Gary said the one pictured is .357 Magnum, but they are offering all the standard calibers they make them in.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

That looks like a really clean looking rifle.
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

Looks very nice
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Glad to hear the infamous fit and finish of the Rossi's may be a thing of the past. Most common complaint I have seen is sharpness of the loading port in the receiver and other surfaces/edges. My brother has one such specimen in 44mag. Aside from that it functions and shoots quite well.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Be nice to see better quality
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Every six weeks We take a small trip to western PA and hit five gun shops, go to the Huge Millcreek mall for Momma. then lunch at Smoky Bones Barbecue restaurant .We went Today ,at one of the Gun Shops they had one of those new Rossi's . it looked every bit as good as the one in the pictures. fit and finish was very Good. :D
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Would like one in 327 federal !
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

One of the best things about a Winchester 1892 was the receiver looks and feel ,smoothness. NONE of which is inherent in the Rossi.

If they just spent a little more time putting the details back into the receiver they would have something.

The original look 1892 is hidden in that casting ,you just have to bring it out.

Looks like the sights are better than earlier examples .
cavelamb
Levergunner

Post by cavelamb »

Pat C wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:25 am One of the best things about a Winchester 1892 was the receiver looks and feel ,smoothness. NONE of which is inherent in the Rossi.

If they just spent a little more time putting the details back into the receiver they would have something.

The original look 1892 is hidden in that casting ,you just have to bring it out.

I can't speak for yours, but mine is smooth as silk.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

cavelamb wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:47 am
Pat C wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:25 am One of the best things about a Winchester 1892 was the receiver looks and feel ,smoothness. NONE of which is inherent in the Rossi.

I can't speak for yours, but mine is smooth as silk.

Mine is smooth too after I did a complete action job. I'm referring to out of the box .
And because of the geometry difference between the Winchester and Rossi . They don't feel the same.

I've never weighed the two but the Rossi takes more force to open the action .Mainly because coil spring VS leaf spring.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

IIRC Steve did a bunch of consulting work with Rossi on the 92. Maybe these new ones have incorporated the changes he recommended.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

The best truck I ever had was a '66 Ford F250 , 351 V8. four speed with a granny low first gear.....gone with the wind. :cry: . no smog ,no epa, just a big motor... the Good thing about the Rossi guns is that they are prolly about 1k less than they would be with out hand fitting. This world is evolving and we are lucky to have a model 92 produced at all.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

JimT wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:53 pm "We got a back order of a new Rossi model 92 in today. This is not something new as they have been out for many years but since since Taurus bought Rossi out the quality has increased tremendously.
That's good to hear. I found a new one a couple months ago, but haven't been able to give it a workout yet.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

It's good to know they are open for suggestions and possible improvements . The parts are still casted ,most areas I bet are still cast done . I did see a while back on gunboards somebody bought one and stripped it down .The bolt looks more machined than previous versions .
Couldn't see much else different .
Receivers are still hard on the eyes.

The Chiappa 92 is almost dead ringer for the Winchester but it's also $1200 almost double Rossi price.

$1200 you can by a good shooter original
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have a late model 45 and 357 I think are pre Taurus. Both shoot and function fine and have chambers that do not produce swelled cases. Fit and finish are also fine. They both have the bolt safety.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

I have a Chiappa and think it is nice but they have gone a silly price these days.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Scrumbag wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:19 am I have a Chiappa and think it is nice but they have gone a silly price these days.
I agree , they are in price range of good shooter grade Winchesters. But they are probably the closest copy of the original that's been made yet.
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

Pat C wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:46 am
Scrumbag wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:19 am I have a Chiappa and think it is nice but they have gone a silly price these days.
I agree , they are in price range of good shooter grade Winchesters. But they are probably the closest copy of the original that's been made yet.
I think you are right, they are a close copy