Hemingway’s home in Key West

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Hemingway’s home in Key West

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

We visited his home in Key West yesterday and I came away with a very different impression than I thought I would.

Hemingway helped to change the way we thought about masculinity and adventure. He was motivated often by the deeds of grewat men. For example he tried to duplicate Theodore Roosevelt’s lion Safari years later, even hiring one of Roosevelt’s guides.

He wrote most of his works in this house and was apparently very disciplined in the way he wrote. He had several near death experiences and enjoyed a great deal of fame during his lifetime.

However, he suffered from depression which led to the only treatment at the time….electroshock therapy. He lost his memory and his ability to write. Followed by his suicide.

I was saddened by what he might have written had he been able to treat his depression in a less destructive way.

I picked up a couple of books while I was there and “Hemingway’s Guns” looks pretty good.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Hemingway’s home in Key West

Beautiful place.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Hemingway is an interesting study and his work is interesting. Read that he wrote the last paragraph to A Farewell to Arms 39 times.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Cool!

I haven't been there in years. We usually hang out in the upper Keys.
I read his book, "Islands in the Stream" as kid after seeing the movie with George C. Scott. Great story. He was definitely a unique individual.
There's a reproduction of his boat "Pilar" on Islamorada. It's inside what was a great fishing/ sporting shop, it's now a Bass Pro.

Have fun!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

On my bucket list -- maybe while I am down there hunting iguanas with pretty young things and airguns. :lol:
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Plenty of Iguanas here
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:12 am On my bucket list -- maybe while I am down there hunting iguanas with pretty young things and airguns. :lol:
Don't even need the airgun. Early in the morning they're still moving pretty slow. They pretty girls are another story. :D

I want to go down for one of the Python hunts in the everglades. That would be fun!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

lots of 6 toed cats
----- Doug
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

...looks like the experience turned your world upside-down....
Screenshot_20230329-171218-029.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Streetstar wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:17 pm lots of 6 toed cats
That was going to be my question - did you see any? I had never visited Key West, then did it two years in a row (one a stay, and one a stop on a cruise ship). Saw a bunch of those cats in the yard there.

Scott, up the street there is a rum distillery that sells Hemingway's favorite rum. They had a tasting while we were in Key West. Very good stuff! :D
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I have read that Papa's favorite drink was a mojito. Funny -- he preferred to write on his typewriter standing up.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:31 pm
Streetstar wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:17 pm lots of 6 toed cats
- did you see any? I had never visited Key West, then did it two years in a row (one a stay, and one a stop on a cruise ship). Saw a bunch of those cats in the yard there.
Yes - its a fun environment (if you like cats, which i do ). Those cats are all over the house and grounds. Im guessing they require a staff themselves to keep everything manageable
----- Doug
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

They have a pretty significant cat house behind the writing studio.

I haven’t seen a cat anywhere but on the Hemingway grounds. Probably because a stray cat is not protected and would be rough on the baby chicks (which are protected).
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I’ve read as much as I could find on Hemingways personal life. Put yourself in his shoes, living a wild and exciting life, then losing his ability to write and being toppled off the “top of the mountain” of professional writers. ……then living a sedentary life……always was a heavy alcoholic with a family history of suicides going back generations……..combine it all together and nothing good is going to come out of it.

But he lived more in his 63 years (I think 63) than 50 men together have done in their lifetimes…..they call people like Hemingway, “Shooting Stars”…..-006

Sure looks sunny down there Scott…….
Model A Uzi’s
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Oh it’s beautiful down here. Headed back to the mainland tomorrow. You might be right but it’s so sad how his life ended.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

I'm a Hemingway fan myself, outside of the subject matter there's something enjoyable in the cadence of his writing in itself. I've always believed that the depression and other psychological issues were due to the multiple concussions he sustained throughout his life (it's said that he charged through the side of the fuselage head-first after one of the plane crashes in Africa - I'd think that one alone could probably do it). Sad ending in any case.

There was a movie out not so many years ago about Hemingway and Gellhorn, it wasn't bad.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I give Him All the credit in the world for having the guts to do what He did. this can be a brutal life and at that time He would most likely died tied up in a bed. Sad but true.