A short range trip this morning

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

A short range trip this morning

Post by 2ndovc »

The sun was out and the wind wasn't blowing so I grabbed a couple of guns I've been wanting to get out with.
I bought the Marlin .35 Rem. late last fall, but just got out with the new Lyman peep installed and have been itching to get it on paper.
The 180 gr LRN gave me a couple nice clusters after two sighters. Shooting fifty yds off my range bag and offhand. I really enjoy shooting the .35 Remington. The rest of the box kept the gong ringing and pins dancing. :D

I'd sent my Delta to FL with my dad to have his gunsmith do some work. When I bought it, it had a set of fiber optic orange and green sights on it that I just can't stand. Those things just don't work for me. Had a nice set of black adjustable sights installed, trigger job and replace multi piece guide rod assembly that required an Allen wrench for disassembly. Another useless "upgrade".

Anyway, shooting 20 yds offhand with 180 gr. Horn. FMJs over 6gr. of Unique, also gave me a couple nice groups. The trigger is lighter than I'm used to at 3.6 pounds, I was getting a little twitchy. That and the wind was picking up again and it was about 29 degrees.
Another fun shooter, that I'm looking forward to getting out it again along with my other 10mms for a shoot off. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: A short range trip this morning

Post by GunnyMack »

That would need a beavertail if it was mine, I get hammer bite from 1911s . However I really like them. Sadly I don't own one anymore but I'd like to build another, this time in 40 short & weak.
Your Marlin looks like a keeper !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Good You got out today Jason! Things are looking Up. I was going to go down to the archery range today but the wind here on Lake Erie and the below 30* temps kept Me away. At least the Sun was shining today..... :D
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

.45colt wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:58 pm Good You got out today Jason! Things are looking Up. I was going to go down to the archery range today but the wind here on Lake Erie and the below 30* temps kept Me away. At least the Sun was shining today..... :D
Had to get away from the computers for a couple hours. The little ins. co. I work for has received over 1000 claims from last weekend's storm alone, and there's another one coming this weekend! You're right though, that wind off the lake started picking up around 9am, eventually drove me off the range. Still good to get out, the Delta and the Marlin are replacements for what had been sold off when I wasn't expected to make it home again. My Delta was heavily customized, but I didn't shoot it much, I kind like this one better. More utilitarian. the Marlin is an upgrade, older and I like the short magazine and fat stocks much more than the '70s 336 I'd had.

Will,
I've never had that problem with average hands and long skinny fingers. I keep buying those big, double stack .45s but I just can'e get a good grip on them. Really liked the FN I had, but just couldn't shoot it well. The 1911, for me is just right. :D

jb 8)

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Excellent. Love a range report!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

This forum definitely needs a LIKE BUTTON!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jason, man, you get out shooting almost as much as our British friends get out hunting! Nice temps here today, but the winds were constant from about 25 to 35 ... WORSE tomorrow.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Jason, I was with you until you said "29 degrees"... then you lost me! :wink:

I'll admit it. Almost 30 years living in the south and my blood has thinned big time!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I dunno why but I get bit from 1911s unless they have a beaver tail installed, especially when they have the GI type grip safety & hammer.m
I had a Para Ordance P14, that was ok but the double stack frame just wasn't 'right ' :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:57 pm Jason, I was with you until you said "29 degrees"... then you lost me! :wink:

I'll admit Almost 30 years living in the south and my blood has thinned big time!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Ha! I'm not as weather proof as I used to be either. Working outside year around for years, I'd gotten pretty used to the cold days, but I'm finding that endurance just isn't what it used to be. The thermostat is set a little higher in the house these days. :D

Bill,
I get out fairly often, but they are short trips crammed into my schedule. It helps that the gun club is only 15 minutes away and in the general direction of about half of my claims. 8)

jb 8)

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:56 pmThat would need a beavertail if it was mine, I get hammer bite from 1911s . However I really like them. Sadly I don't own one anymore but I'd like to build another, this time in 40 short & weak.
Your Marlin looks like a keeper !
My son has a STI 2011 in .40 S&W. It's really nice... Most guys that seem to get hammer bite with a 1911 either have large "fleshy" hands, get up on the grip too high, or both. I only got bit one time with a 1911... May of 1970 in Navy boot camp. Instructor told me what I did wrong, and hasn't happened since. My EDC does have a beavertail, but none of my competition guns do. And have never noticed any difference.

Oh yeah, that Marlin is good looking, and shows promise as a shooter.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

We need like buttons!
35 Remington. The near forgotten wonder. Hardly ever used in the UK. Shame.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!