Range Time With The Dragoon

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Range Time With The Dragoon

Post by JimT »

Wednesday dried out enough I was able to get out onto the Range with the 3rd Model Dragoon. My friend Jared was visiting and he had brought his Walker and a couple other charcoal burners ... 1860 Army and an 1861 Navy. I had never had a chance to test out the paper cartridges that I had loaded and this was a perfect opportunity.
44-2.JPG
The photo is when I was learning to make the paper cartridges. I had 40 rounds in the ammo box when we went to the Range. The ones on the left are round ball .. the ones on the right are my home-made conical. I had 15 rounds of the conical.

On the range we shot about 15 yards, offhand.
VideoCapture_20230322-184558.jpg
I found the round ball cartridges much easier to load than the home-made conical. The base on the conical is large enough that the paper cartridge interferes with loading and requires MUCH MORE seating pressure to get it started.

Accuracy was great with both loads. At 15 yards I kept most shots in or on a 1 inch square, shooting offhand. Later I will shoot these loads at 20/25 yards from a rest to determine accuracy. But so far they are good enough to use for rabbit hunting and whatnot :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Range Time With The Dragoon

Post by Pitchy »

Looks like fun, i had a Dragoon many years ago and was fun to shoot also had a Walker. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Yessir Pitchy ... they are fun.

Comparing the Walker and the 3rd Model Dragoon
20230322_160600.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I wish I had moved up to a Dragoon or Walker instead of moving down to the Pocket Colt, the little .31 was a dinky little shooter but not enough smoke and noise... :D
The Navies were always my favourites though.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

gamekeeper wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:04 pm The Navies were always my favourites though.
I really like the 1862 Police but my friend Jared had his 1861 Navy with him when he came for a visit this week and now I have a serious "want" for one! :lol:
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

The Dragoon and a 51 navy i had were made by Colt, last run i recon beautiful pistols but stupid me traded them off. :roll:
I`m not into shooting black much anymore not because i don`t like them because i`m hurting so much it`s hard to do.
I gotta get out and shoot something one of these days after the snow gets less deep. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Lenn, God bless you; keep the faith and your shining spirit glowing. Spring is already here in Texas, and heading north. This accumulating pain business ... sucks. We'll just leave it at that.
Jim, I look forward to your accuracy tests.
The 1861 Navy is the most elegant of all the Colts, to me, with the 1860 Army almost neck and neck.
That said, I have a Pietta 1851 that needs breaking in, and I have both round balls and 50 of Kaido's conicals to fool with.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Jim, what was the load you used? Was it the same for round ball and conical?
Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:53 pm Lenn, God bless you; keep the faith and your shining spirit glowing. Spring is already here in Texas, and heading north. This accumulating pain business ... sucks. We'll just leave it at that.
+1 Prayers for you Lenn. Constant pain is no fun. :cry: Bill, it hit 87 degrees here in SC today. I think we skipped spring and went straight to summer! :shock:
Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:53 pm The 1861 Navy is the most elegant of all the Colts, to me, with the 1860 Army almost neck and neck.
That's why I also love the 1862 Pocket Police. Same lines just compact. :D :D :D
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:55 pm Jim, what was the load you used? Was it the same for round ball and conical?
Yes .. same load.. using the dipper with the paper cartridge kit = 40 grains FFFg

I also like the 1862 Police ... but I am being drawn to the 1861 Navy also. :lol:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

This post proves that certain types of smoking can be good for your health.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

piller wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:12 pm This post proves that certain types of smoking can be good for your health.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Good stuff Jim, I have always liked the 3rd Dragoon.

"Apex of the horse pistol" is an apt description.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JimT wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:37 am...But so far they are good enough to use for rabbit hunting and whatnot :D
Better be careful of where you're shooting from Jim... that much smoke and rabbits will suss out your blind quickly! :P :P Good pics, There ain't anything like a little smoke in the morning!

I shot a cowboy action match (local monthly) today. I'll post vid on here somewhere!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!