Is There Any Interest in a Reloading Forum?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.

Should Leverguns.com Create a Forum for Reloading

Yes, I would like to have a reloading section on Leverguns.com as I reload.
66%
Yes, I would like to have a reloading section as I'm considering getting into reloading.
4%
I don't reload but would find the forum interesting.
4%
I don't care either way.
8%
No, I don't want a reloading section on Leverguns.com.
18%

Total votes: 50
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Is There Any Interest in a Reloading Forum?

Post by COSteve »

With all of the 'old salts' around these parts and the fact that many of us handload, is there any interest in a forum on handloading? It seems to me that with the difference in loading levels possible with the SA Colt models vs Ruger; toggle link '73 type actions vs the much stronger '92 actions, etc., that it would be helpful to share some of our handload information.

I'm curious to see if there is enough interest to start one.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Is There Any Interest in a Reloading Forum?

Post by Bridger »

I say no. I’d rather everything be on this forum. When you have a bunch of sub forums I start missing/overlooking things that might interest me if I knew it was there.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Bridger raised a good point.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bridger wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:13 pm I say no. I’d rather everything be on this forum. When you have a bunch of sub forums I start missing/overlooking things that might interest me if I knew it was there.
This....^^^
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I personally like the idea, and also like the idea of it being it's own area. By having it in one place it doesn't end up with some discussion disappearing, and not being able to find it in one area. Considering reloading info is usually technical reference material, I'd dislike trying to search it out through many pages. And if it got too old it might disappear completely as some older posts do.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

My initial reaction was that I frequent a number of forums where reloading is discussed in detail, so why do we want one on Paco's site.
But there is a certain highly refined class of gun nut who hangs out here, with a very strong bent toward the traditional. I know I would check it daily if not more often.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

I voted yes and agree with the above sentiments of having a reloading subforum so things don't get lost among all of the general content.

I reload for three cartridges that are very uncommon these days. A forum similar to this one has helped me a great deal in load development for my 45-60. Plan to add a 50-95 to the safe before too long. Alot of interesting and fun old cartridges that have no SAAMI backed data out there for those who aren't ready to jump into BPCR. Heck, even BPCR I could see being discussed here too.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Wow, 62% in favor! :D

I do agree I wouldn't want 20 or so subforums, but adding "reloading" would be great for quick reference in the future. I actually found this forum looking for information to reload the .45-120 Sharps cartridge (and KirkD's info was AWESOME).
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

With all the new powders coming out, sharing info is definitely a good thing.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Has anyone asked the owner's / administrator's of this site that they think? What about the liability of what could be "advertising" reloading information? Who's going to be responsible for verifying that the information being posted is safe? Are all of these new posts going to be validated by Steve? What's to prevent malicious intent on an unsuspecting or inexperience reloader from getting hurt, or worse?
The occasional load sharing between known users is a different animal.
Are these polls open to registered users or anyone just floating in or out?
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:44 pm Wow, 62% in favor! :D

I do agree I wouldn't want 20 or so subforums, but adding "reloading" would be great for quick reference in the future. I actually found this forum looking for information to reload the .45-120 Sharps cartridge (and KirkD's info was AWESOME).
Pretty certain my hunt for some info has landed me on this forum as well a few times.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

2ndovc wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:31 am Has anyone asked the owner's / administrator's of this site that they think? What about the liability of what could be "advertising" reloading information? Who's going to be responsible for verifying that the information being posted is safe? Are all of these new posts going to be validated by Steve? What's to prevent malicious intent on an unsuspecting or inexperience reloader from getting hurt, or worse?
Agree, it's ultimately up to the site owner in the end. 👍🏻

As to perceived liabilities, lots of forums have reloading sections with the usual caveats in place. Responsible people also always state the usual due diligence in caution must be excersized when sharing load info, especially for old cartridges for which there is no SAAMI backing. One resource I used for my 45-60 loads was a gun magazine type write up that popped up on a general internet search. The author did work with black powder but also developed safe smokeless loads. All of his findings were published there for all the world to see and again with the usual cautions to the reader to work up carefully.

Maybe a simple pinned post at the top of the section pertaining to caution when using shared loading data would satisfy any angst about liabilities?
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

2ndovc wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:31 am Has anyone asked the owner's / administrator's of this site that they think? What about the liability of what could be "advertising" reloading information? Who's going to be responsible for verifying that the information being posted is safe? Are all of these new posts going to be validated by Steve? What's to prevent malicious intent on an unsuspecting or inexperience reloader from getting hurt, or worse?
I've seen enough loading questions and answers here already, that it wouldn't change the results whether they had their own area or continued on as usual. So not sure this is a valid concern. It's up to individuals who ask for answers to double check, just like they should if they checked a loading manual prior to loading.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I think we are already a reloading forum, with some politics and some life info mixed in. Kinda' nice combination.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Topics can already be bookmarked or subscribed :idea:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I'm not hard over either way. I just thought I'd ask the question to see what the consensus was. I think if the majority would like it and the site owners thought it was a good idea, it might be helpful to have the topics all together. I've not seen a lot of load data here but as we are primarily levergunners and pistol shooters here it might be nice to have other's thoughts and experiences. I've got a number of different loads for my leverguns and some specifically for my single actions and I'd be interested in other people's experiences, hence the question.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I also said no. I recall when there were sub-forums here and I missed a lot of interesting stuff. Plus, all the "...hey that's off topic..." comments got irksome. Plenty of other forums have reloading sub-forums and some great info can be found. Cast boolits, being one.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

i hang out in the active forum and appreciate all the expertise when Y'all are discussing the details of your reloading knowledge and practices. i only experimented when i was subsistence hunting, and all my efforts were concerned with what happened at the other end of the flight.... when i found something that was consistent, and perfect, i stuck with it like a chilli recipe....

i enjoy learning about your processes, i've begun thinking about my loads from a different perspective....

grizz
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It seems like on other forms that I occasionally visit, interest waned because things get too fragmented. So people go to look for the topic they’re interested in, and if they don’t find what they want there, or even if they do, they don’t wind up being exposed to other topics and engaging in other dialogue.

Remember, if you want to look up a topic, you can always use the search function.

I suppose we could adhere to a convention of using key words like “Reloading” in post TITLES though; it wouldn’t be 200% but it could help folks find things more easily.

I find three forums fulfill my needs fine:

AmmoGuide.com
LoadData.com
CastBoolits.com

All three have different pros and cons. Overall I like the AmmoGuide best due to interesting search and compare features for cartridges, bullets, powders, and so-on.

I try to be honest and not post actual data from there since it is a subscriber site, and the fee is minimal, but occasionally I’ll post examples of what AmmoGuide.com can do.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

CASCity is a good one for old and long since absent from mainstream cartridge reloading. Good bunch of folks there too
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I'll second you on CAS City. Most of the air has gone out of cowboy action shooting, it seems, but the lingering fondness and respect for the firearms of the period abides. 8)