Shooting advice for a 1911 45

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Shooting advice for a 1911 45

Post by JBowen »

I need a little help on my shooting technique. Here is what I am experiencing.
I have a RIA 1911FS in 45 acp. When I shoot it across bags at 15 yards I hit the 9/10 ring pretty often, but when I shoot standing two handed,
I shoot about 2 inches lower and a little left. I am right-handed. This happens with factory and handloads with 230 grain bullets.

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks,
JBowen.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Re: Shooting advice for a 1911 45

Post by jkbrea »

Maybe you're anticipating the recoil??? I've seen people on the range push the front down a bit expecting the recoil. Especially after the last shot with revolvers or slide locked back on a semi auto.
Last edited by jkbrea on Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

jkbrea wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:23 pm Maybe you're anticipating the recoil???
Most likely. I do the same thing some days and have to make a conscious effort to correct it.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

You might be squeezing the whole hand as you're pressing the trigger rearward.
Also a symptom of anticipating the recoil.

Try some dry firing while watching the front sight.

Remember, grip first with the middle finger, then the ring finger, then the pinky,
and lastly the thumb either locks down or lays alongside, depending on your style.

THINK of the forefinger as a complete separate entity that operates only the trigger.
The rest of the hand doesn't move when the forefinger moves.

THINK follow-through. Imagine the pistol stays laser-straight towards the target when
you press the trigger.

Hope this helps.

-Stretch
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

What they said...

Also, get your trigger finger farther in, and concentrate on a straight-back pull.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Without you watching them have someone load one cartridge into the chamber and make it safe, then hand it to you. The magazine will be empty.
Fire the shot.
Have them repeat it. Do not watch them.
Fire the shot.
Do this a number of times and at various times have them hand it to you without a cartridge in the chamber.
You fire each shot without knowing when it's empty.
If you run 10 or 15 rounds through it, skipping a round now and then, if you are anticipating recoil or jerking the trigger it will show up. You will see what you are doing and can work to correct it.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I agree with anticipation of recoil.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Thanks for all the tips. I will give them all a try. I also have a Springfield 1911 Ronin 9 mm and I don't seem to have the same problem.
Maybe I am anticipating recoil?
All tips appreciated.

Thanks,
JBowen
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm going to say, you're pushing the trigger, not pulling it. Try with less finger engagement. Use the pad of the finger tip.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I’ve seen shooters dip the muzzle on the trigger pull. Do some dry firing free handed. Aim at something small like a door knob or light switch. See if the sights are still on when the hammer drops
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

When you're shooting off bags the point of impact will be different than shooting offhand for several reasons. First, like the barrel of a rifle leaned against a tree, the point of impact will go in the direction opposite the pressure on the side of the barrel. Second and probably more significant, the heel of your gun resting on the bags provides a different pivot point for the recoil vector than holding it in your hands. Expect it to shoot higher off the bags. In his book, "Jacketed Performance with Cast Bullets", Veral Smith says that shooting off bags is only for determining accuracy potential; sighting in to find point of impact should be done offhand. Shooting with your forearms resting on the bags with your gun well in front of the bags, supported only by your hands will give a better indication of point of impact.
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

I have been dry firing my 1911 tonight as suggested and have discovered since the trigger moves straight back instead of swinging from a pivot it
is easy to pull the front of the gun down if my finger is on the bottom of the curved trigger face. Making a conscience effort to get my hand high as possible
on the grip and getting my finger in the center of the trigger curve to pull straight back makes a lot of difference.
A lot more trigger time needed.

JBowen
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Does it have a flat main spring housing or the humped one, that can make a difference too.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Pitchy wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:27 am Does it have a flat main spring housing or the humped one, that can make a difference too.
Pitchy it is the flat main spring housing. I can see where it would make a difference.

JBowen
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

If you have a smart phone you could do your dry fire practice with a Mantis X. It provides a lot of feedback on your shooting, maybe more than you're comfortable hearing.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

JBowen wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:00 pm
Pitchy wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:27 am Does it have a flat main spring housing or the humped one, that can make a difference too.
Pitchy it is the flat main spring housing. I can see where it would make a difference.

JBowen
The humped housing will bring the barrel up and shoot higher.
I think that`s why they went to the humped one because they were shooting low with the flat one, hope that helps. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Thanks for all the advice fellers. I have had this 1911 for nearly 2 years but have only shot it maybe 200 times. I will take this advice to the range and
burn some more ammo now that supplies are getting more available. As always, this forum has a lot of experience.

JBowen
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Two things I've found revealing to help 'trigger technique' -

1. the BEST is the MantisX - it will send a smart-phone a several-millisecond graphic of before, during, and after the actual hammer-fall (with dry-fire, or live-fire), and that helps greatly to analyze and correct technique. With dry-firing thus a very valuable feedback lesson, you'll save enough in ammo costs to pay for the MantisX in a few months or less.

2. any 'laser sight' that projects a beam can do the same thing, sort of (not as well). If you watch closely you may see what the laser does and where it goes as you 'fire' - the problem is you eye can't record it, and can't see the detail as well as the MantisX does, plus you then aren't really focusing on 'shooting' as much as just watching the little red dot. Perhaps if you had a camera of high enough speed video the session so you could hear the hammer fall and watch the red dot, it would help, but far easier to buy a MantisX.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gear- ... ng-system/
https://www.pewpewtactical.com/mantisx-review/
https://mantisx.com/pages/reviews

I have the older version - https://www.primerpeak.com/mantisx-review/ but it does all I need...

....and no - I don't get a sales commission from them.... :lol:

The MantisX easily mounts on a 'rail' but also comes with an adhesive mount that can go on any flat surface - typically the base of the magazine. It doesn't have to be perfectly parallel to the barrel.

The OTHER nice thing is that it can work on multiple firearms in any chambering, so unlike most of the other training systems that depend on laser-cartridges, you won't have to buy more stuff, other than if a gun lacks a rail-mount, you'll need another one of their fancy double-sided sticky-tape bases.

The MantisX is also helpful for rifle, shotgun, and even BOW technique analysis. Pretty cool device.

Also - "...Veral Smith says that shooting off bags is only for determining accuracy potential; sighting in to find point of impact should be done offhand..." THIS is certainly true for all firearms. I have an old 36x scope with one broken crosshair (so I can no longer adjust it, but they do stay in place) that I mount on nearly any new rifle I buy - I even put it on my 45 Colt 16" 92 'Trapper' levergun....! That way I know how potentially-accurate the firearm in question is. No need to 'sight in' because I won't keep that scope on any of them, but at least I know what maximum potential is there, and can act accordingly. I had a 16" levergun in 357 Mag that shot BETTER groups with that 36x than a 24" heavy-barreled bolt action that 'looked' accurate, so if that's the case, I'll put a good (but more appropriate) sight on the unusually-accurate levergun, and if I can't fix whatever is making the longer 'target style' rifle less accurate, either trade it in, or use it for something not requring great accuracy.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Or:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Sometimes, I have to just lie to myself that every trigger pull is a dry-fire and all I'm going hear is a 'click'. And yes, I shoot the 1911 substantially better with an arched mainspring housing. The rest is here-

https://www.thesixgunjournal.net/back-t ... -shooting/
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Vote non-paid endorsement of the MantisX. What it saves you in ammo alone pays for the unit in no time. You can dry-fire practice to your heart's content at home, and it really helps analyze issues you may be having. What I usually see (and will do myself) when shooting for speed is that you can slap the trigger versus press it, and that often causes a low-left hit.
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

I shoot a lot of handguns over a bag to test loads at the indoor range I normally shoot at and I have found due to wearing tri focals that my point of impact also changes when I move to a standing off hand position. I also shoot slightly to the right when indoors and dead center when outdoors. As others have said try dry firing and watch the front sight.
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

For me my troubles start when I try and be too precise in my aiming....and trying to break the trigger when the sights are perfect. I shoot best when I align the sights, embrace the wobble and break the trigger smoothly within the wobble. Then watch my work through the sights to ensure good follow through. Helps me from anticipating the recoil. Hope this might help...
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Sarge wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:59 pm Sometimes, I have to just lie to myself that every trigger pull is a dry-fire and all I'm going hear is a 'click'. And yes, I shoot the 1911 substantially better with an arched mainspring housing. The rest is here-

https://www.thesixgunjournal.net/back-t ... -shooting/
Sarge, thanks for the link. It has some good information.

JBowen
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:12 pm Vote non-paid endorsement of the MantisX. What it saves you in ammo alone pays for the unit in no time. You can dry-fire practice to your heart's content at home, and it really helps analyze issues you may be having. What I usually see (and will do myself) when shooting for speed is that you can slap the trigger versus press it, and that often causes a low-left hit.
Another endorsement for the MantisX. Like the old saying "Where there is smoke there is a fire". I will have to check this out.

Thanks
JBowen
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Elmo and Woodsloafer, thanks for more good advice.

Thanks everybody,
JBowen
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

wecsoger wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:33 pm What they said...

Also, get your trigger finger farther in, and concentrate on a straight-back pull.
this is my guess also.