Winchester 1876 almost gets its due

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester 1876 almost gets its due

Post by ndcowboy »

I read this, then reread it, and still can't believe it. Even guns from 150 years ago are to blame for things that happened:

ND lawmakers defeat measure to name state gun after emotional plea from Turtle Mountain rep

The North Dakota House of Representative rejected a measure to establish the Winchester Model 1876 as the official state firearm after one of the chamber's few Native American members spoke out about the gun's historical impact on Indigenous people.

The Republican-dominated House voted 34-59 to defeat Senate Concurrent Resolution 4010 on Wednesday.

The symbolic legislation sponsored by Sen. Janne Myrdal, R-Edinburg, stated that the Winchester Model 1876 is "a powerful firearm with great stopping capabilities and its in-the-field reliability was well-respected by frontiersmen." The resolution also noted that the gun was a favorite of former President Theodore Roosevelt.

Rep. Jayme Davis, D-Rolette, tearfully told colleagues about the gun's role in nearly eliminating buffaloes from the region in the late 1800s.

A 2002 article on the Model 1876 refers to the gun as "the only repeating rifle that had successful, documented use in the northern plains buffalo slaughter."
Davis, an enrolled member of the Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa, said hunters' use of the rifle to kill buffaloes robbed Indigenous residents of their livelihood and "almost wiped out our Native nations."

"The way I feel about having such a gun celebrated can only be shared by asking you to imagine us voting on celebrating something that wipes out your livelihood or a weapon to kill your family," Davis said. "My opposition is not about guns in general. It's about this gun."

Rep. Mary Schneider, D-Fargo, noted that North Dakota has gone more than 100 years without naming an official state gun. She said there was no need to upset Native American residents by cementing the weapon as a symbol of the state.

Nine states — Alaska, Arizona, Indiana, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and West Virginia — have established a state firearm, according to the National Rifle Association.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/n ... untain-rep
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 1876 almost gets its due

Post by .45colt »

What a load of bull pucky. I may be wrong but how many model 1876 rifles made it to the Buffalo Hunts? I thought the Buff rifles were almost all heavy single shots?
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

So even the Indian was clueless about the history of the 1876 Winchester? I seriously doubt the 1876 had much impact on native Americans back in the era. The Trapdoor Springfield, and other smaller lever action rifles like the 1873 likely had more impact.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

In the book "Letters from Keith" Elmer wrote at length about his collection of Buffalo rifles. I think His were all big Sharps rifles.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

I for one am tired of the current trend in everything political to look backwards focusing on all of the wrongs that have occured through our history as a nation while ignoring what we got right and the blood shed as a cost. Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating ignoring our history by any means as we should never forget.

But alas, yet another inanimate tool blamed for the action of the user....let's get back to toppling more statues 🙄

Makes me wonder if the vote would have turned out different were the rifle chosen the Winchester 66 or 73 which the natives used to great effect against the Army during the plains wars.... It's not difficult to find old pics of natives posing with their prized Winchester repeaters.
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

RIDERED350r wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:51 pm I for one am tired of the current trend in everything political to look backwards focusing on all of the wrongs that have occured through our history as a nation while ignoring what we got right and the blood shed as a cost. Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating ignoring our history by any means as we should never forget.

But alas, yet another inanimate tool blamed for the action of the user....let's get back to toppling more statues 🙄

Makes me wonder if the vote would have turned out different were the rifle chosen the Winchester 66 or 73 which the natives used to great effect against the Army during the plains wars.... It's not difficult to find old pics of natives posing with their prized Winchester repeaters.
Couldn't agree more. It seems to me as soon as somebody gets emotional or offended in any way we are all supposed to instantly give in to whatever demand that person has. Tired of it.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

ndcowboy wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:06 pm
RIDERED350r wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:51 pm I for one am tired of the current trend in everything political to look backwards focusing on all of the wrongs that have occured through our history as a nation while ignoring what we got right and the blood shed as a cost. Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating ignoring our history by any means as we should never forget.

Couldn't agree more. It seems to me as soon as somebody gets emotional or offended in any way we are all supposed to instantly give in to whatever demand that person has. Tired of it.
Indeed Sir.

I haunt the traditional muzzleloading forum a bit. I am not a reenactor as many are on that forum, just a casual bystander who has a few old TC traditional muzzleloaders. Believe it or not, the woke virus is even having an impact on reenactment events that would make your head spin.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Look no further than the party designation... :roll:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

No need for all that power…..I saw Kevin Costner kill a train load of buffalo with a Henry rifle….when he shot the buff, that 44 H blew em over……all one shot DRT’s….

Every documented story I read said the single shots were the most used gun, including the 50-70 Trapdoors which probably took the highest percentage….I wasn’t there to see what they used but not many people had the money for a quality Sharps……military guns and their ammo were commonplace.

Lie after lie after lie comes out of their mouths for who really knows what was used except guncranks like us. The republicans, who are not much better than the democrats will go along with them until someone with credentials makes a stink.
Model A Uzi’s
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Six, I saw that, too, in "Dances with Wolves" -- tumbling a bull bison head over heels with a long-range shot from a .44 Henry. Gosh, do you think it wasn't real? :lol:
As to the main point, I wonder how many bison were actually taken with the 1876. I'd sure want it in .45-75 if forced to use it for such.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Don't forget to kick that heel up for those extra long range shots on the buffalo 🤣
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I have a picture showing a group Blackfoot Chiefs with one holding a Winchester 76 carbine maybe he is the one that shot all the Buffalo with a 76 lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

I wonder if Sitting Bull realized how evil the rifle was that he owned:

https://www.outdoorlife.com/guns/sittii ... odel-1876/
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

You can have the 1876. I have a couple 1886's that I think work better on the big stuff.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

The 76 was the last of the real winchesters everything after that was all John Browning.The 76 filled a gap for a need of a more powerful lever gun albeit for a short time.The 76 also served the North West Mounted Police for 32 years ,It s due it’s place in history
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

ndcowboy wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:06 pm

I dont disagree but let us not forget we’re all white I suspect . Folks that were stuff upon years ago are looking for anything to get their ideas across . I’m sure if I were mostly native or god forbid African I’d be looking for something also .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:42 am Six, I saw that, too, in "Dances with Wolves" -- tumbling a bull bison head over heels with a long-range shot from a .44 Henry. Gosh, do you think it wasn't real? :lol:
As to the main point, I wonder how many bison were actually taken with the 1876. I'd sure want it in .45-75 if forced to use it for such.
I’ll take the 50-95 ! Only original 1876 I’ve ever had in my hands was a 50-95 and at the time I couldn’t afford it :?
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !