Range day

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Range day

Post by Drawdown »

Well I wanted to finetune this 94 Carbine with what I think to be the best deer load for it. I'm just getting well acquainted with this rifle, and the more I handle it the better I like it! I'd zeroed the sights last year but shooting off hand and today I wanted to check 3 different loads of my own and a box of Win PowerPoint 170gr factory ammo I've had stashed since before all the shortages.
20230315_133936.jpg
20230315_121602.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Range day

Post by Drawdown »

One things obvious about this rifle, contrary to my previous experiences with carbines? It shoots everything reasonably good, with pretty much same POI, and it's not critical of hold or setting on a rest, theyre all same POI! All these resoons are why I fell in love with my Mod 64, and still do! But now, I'd have a hard time choosing the 64 over the 94 carbine. It's really the ultimate hunting rifle for around here in steep heavily brushed and wooded mountains!
I'll drift the front sight for a little more right, and I found what I'd known for years. The Factory Win PP 170,s are the most accurate 30-30 load again, and the best bullet IMO, along with the Rem CL, but most often the Win PP is more accurate in all my rifles. I finalized my zero first with the 150gr Sierra PHs, and ive got to believe the one high shot with the Nosler 170 Pt was the first shot after changing or my fault? They've been grouping excellent in my other rifle. The Hawks are never as accurate bit not bad no doubt a good bullet!
20230315_154334.jpg
20230315_121739.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

As far as the open irons of my 94 Carbine vs the receiver sight of my Mod 64, I'm equally good for both. I've killed a train load of squirrels with open sighted 22's, and for pinpoint accuracy out to near 100yds and certainly out to 50yds with a squirrel rifle, I much prefer the open sights. But a receiver has advantages at longer ranges and when shooting in bad light, such as standing in lighted woods shooting back into shadows. Neither are perfect for every situation! But this 94 Carbine as is, will get the job done under 99% of what I've encountered hunting here in the past, it's a jewel and I love it!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Since I can't get the old Winchester 170 grain SilverTips anymore, I have the best accuracy and good performance using the 150grain Sierras and W748
powder. Works good in several 30-30s that I have tried them in.

JBowen