Parker VH SxS 16ga.?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Parker VH SxS 16ga.?

Post by Mainehunter »

I have an opportunity to acquire what I think is a decent Parker VH but I'm trying to figure out the chamber length. I didn't have with me my chamber length gauge when I was looking at it but doing some research, I've read there were a few different lengths over the years. Shouldn't there be a stamp under the breach to determine what length? I didn't see anything stamped but who's to say the chamber wasn't modified later?

Mainehunter
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Parker VH SxS 16ga.?

Post by GunnyMack »

Our in house Parker man 6pt should chime in and give you a definitive answer.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:21 pm Our in house Parker man 6pt should chime in and give you a definitive answer.
That's right! I completely forgot about 6pt! Hope he can shed some light on this!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

No stamping except on some 10 gauge 3 1/2” Parker’s and maybe a few 3” 12 gauge . If you’ve got chamber gauges the chamber should show 2 5/8” . Parker as a general rule cut chambers an 1/8” short . I do however have a Parker on a 2 frame with 32” barrels that left the factory with 2 7/8” chambers . I didn’t know until I get the letter on that gun that once upon a time there were factory loaded 3” 16 gauge ! Now back to 2 5/8” chambers , I used to load a relatively light load for a circa 1912 GH 16 I have , but at some point I tried some factory dove/quail loads and they worked fine . That’s not so say a rule etched in stone but I shoot a lot of Damascus guns so it is what it is . But I’d say it’s a pretty general rule that factory dove/quail , rabbit/squirrel and regular field loads”should be” safe in any fluid steel barreled gun in decent shape .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

FWIW , usually if the chamber length on a Parker is stamped on the underside of the barrels it was done if someone ran the chamber out themselves and not done at the factory . Only ones I’ve seen that the factory stamped had the chamber length stamped on the side of the barrel lug .
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Thanks for the reply 6pt-sika! :D When I did look at the Parker, the gentlemen said he thinks the chambers are 2 1/2" which really threw me off! The shotgun belongs to a friend who passed away a while ago. He's not into shotguns so doesn't know much about it. From what I gathered it's on a "1" frame, 26" barrel, VH model and built in 1928. Most the color case finish is pretty much gone but has nice a patina finish. Lock up is tight and the bore is spotless. The only issue is the stock has been repaired at some point in the usual spot where they crack. A gunsmith did a plug job which looks OK. Overall, it's in really good shape for its age. :D

Mainehunter
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Mainehunter wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:37 am Thanks for the reply 6pt-sika! :D When I did look at the Parker, the gentlemen said he thinks the chambers are 2 1/2" which really threw me off! The shotgun belongs to a friend who passed away a while ago. He's not into shotguns so doesn't know much about it. From what I gathered it's on a "1" frame, 26" barrel, VH model and built in 1928. Most the color case finish is pretty much gone but has nice a patina finish. Lock up is tight and the bore is spotless. The only issue is the stock has been repaired at some point in the usual spot where they crack. A gunsmith did a plug job which looks OK. Overall, it's in really good shape for its age. :D
Mainehunter
I’ve had Parker 16’s hammer and hammerless on 0 frames , hammer and hammerless on 1 frames and the 2 frame hammerless mentioned above . I had a very nice VH 16 on an 0 frame with factory 26” barrels that was IC/M if I remmember correctly . Didn’t have it long but while I had it , it accounted for a fair number of dove and quail as well as a couple rabbits . At the moment I have a very nice VHE 16 lettered skeet gun . By letter I mean reference letter from the PGCA that uses the old factory records to validate . That ones on a 1 frame straight grip , checkered butt , factory single selective trigger , beavertail forend and 26” skeet in/skeet out choked barrels .
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I have a 16ga Parker Trojan, has 2 1/2" chambers.