Hard to find Blackhawk

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Hard to find Blackhawk

Post by Walt »

I was browsing Guns.com last Friday, looking for a nice used 4 5/8" Ruger Blackhawk in .41 mag. I've been looking for months and was pleasantly surprised to find one on their site. I ordered it and it arrived at an FFL gun shop today. I went by to pick it up but it was marked .357 mag. Drat, foiled again!
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Re: Hard to find Blackhawk

Post by Paladin »

Sorry to hear about the error. I understand the hunt.
It is not the critic who counts
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ream the cylinder to a 357/41 Bain & Davis…???
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Is it a 41 mag?…..was it advertised as a 41mag without disclosing the barrel/cyl swap?….I’d raise hell unless you paid $250 for it…
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I agree with Sixgun.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

You could be right, Six. I think I'll go back to town this morning with a fired and sized .41 mag cartridge and see if that's the case. I haven't spoken with Guns.com about returning it yet.

Thanks
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Sorry for your disappointment, Walt. I agree that a price reduction -- or a refund -- are called for.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I went back to the FFL/gunshop this morning, unsure whether the bore had looked like a .357 or a .41 and just to be certain, I brought along a fired .41 case as well as a .41 caliber range rod. There's no question that the Blackhawk is a .357 mag after examining it.....and it appears unfired. A .41 mag was really my preference but I also had a short-barreled .357 in the back of my mind. I called guns.com and told them I would accept a $100 credit or they could send the shop an authorization to return. I haven't heard back from them yet.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I’m missing something……..you say the you brought in a fired case for the 41 mag? A .41 mag. will not fit in a 357 cylinder….. is this a case that you fired because if it is you have a 41 magnum cylinder and a 41 mag barrel that’s been installed on a .357 marked frame.

How about this, take some detailed pictures of the cylinder, barrel and the marking on the gun and post them…..I can decipher your problem with pictures…..good ones.—-6
Model A Uzi’s
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Six, when I looked at it yesterday I saw that the frame was marked .357 mag, but I didn't look closely at the bore or the cylinder to be certain whether that's what it really was. You had suggested that a previous owner might have done a barrel and cylinder swap to .41 mag since it was listed on Guns.com as a .41. I brought along the fired case to make sure of the caliber. It turned out to be what's apparently an unfired .357. I told Guns.com I would keep it if they gave me $100 off the original asking price or they could arrange its return. I have not picked up the gun.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Is it an old model 3 screw? Or even a pre warning Blackhawk?……I don’t like to ask these thing but how much loot did it cost you as you may have got a good deal if it’s an old model or a flattop.
Model A Uzi’s
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Six, it's just an ordinary New Model Blackhawk in .357. If it had been a .41 mag I would have paid the $650 before tax and shipping that they wanted for it but since it's a .357 which is somewhat more readilty available, I think the $100 price reduction I'm requesting is reasonable. If they don't like that they can take it back. I have not gotten a response from them yet.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Well Walt……it’s not worth the aggravation to hunt down these “on the fence criminals”. Put it in your notes as a learning phase in the “School of Hard Knocks”. I have a doctorate in that school.

But what I would do is leave nasty comments on the sellers review page so future buyers will be warned. Make it nasty, very nasty. Save any documents related to the sale…..then go back and make it more nasty but you need the documentation in case he sends a lawyer your way.

I tell ya, I fixed the Kubota dealer and a local car repair shop real good by doing that. Sure put a smile on my face when I was getting 50 “likes” on my comments.:D people are afraid to fight back anymore…it’s like we have a nation of sissies so put the ball in your court by having the proper documentation ……have your ducks in a straight row and f. em over good. you’ll sleep better.:D——-6
Model A Uzi’s
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I had a 4 5/8" .357 mag Blackhawk in the back of my mind anyway so I decided should an opportunity arise I would keep this one. I got a call from Guns.com this morning and was told if I wanted to keep this gun, they would give me a $100 off coupon on a future purchase rather than sending it back. I drove back to town and picked it up. It only has a very light drag mark around the cylinder so apparently has been fired only a little and the blue is 100%. I usually replace the cowboy hammer with a super Blackhawk hammer on my Blackhawks, slick up the action and bring the trigger pull down to 2 1/2# with zero creep. I'll put a nice set of grips on it and then take it out and shoot it. The search is on again for a 4 5/8" Blackhawk in .41 mag.
arclight
Levergunner

Post by arclight »

Probably just luck of the draw but I am zero for three with guns.com. One was an Inland M1a1 .30 carbine, which, when it arrived, was not an Inland and the stock was aftermarket. Another unrelated transaction took a month for the rifle to arrive. But they do have cool stuff, and I'm a slow learner...
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Arclight, did you end up keeping the 30 carbine or did you send it back? If you did return it, how much of a hassle was that?