More Primitives

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

More Primitives

Post by Oldncrusty »

I dusted off and snapped a couple pics of some of my native artifact collection. I wanted to show an authentic version of American knife making. The black knife blade is from the Adena culture, circa 200 b.c to 200 a.d.

Misc. Atlatl and bow points from 5000 b.c. to 1200 a.d.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: More Primitives

Post by gamekeeper »

That's quite a collection, I have spent hours looking for flint arrow heads in the UK but without any success, mostly iron and bronze age sites around where I live.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very nice indeed, :mrgreen: i too have been looking most my life and haven`t found a single one. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Crusty, how do you differentiate the atlatl from the arrow points?
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:45 pm Crusty, how do you differentiate the atlatl from the arrow points?
Size plays a part. The AtlAtl point will be bigger than a normal arrow can handle because the AtlAtl darts are much bigger.
Click Click Boom
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Pitchy wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:24 am Very nice indeed, :mrgreen: i too have been looking most my life and haven`t found a single one. :)
Thanks. I was lucky enough to grow up in prime arrowhead country. It was nigh impossible to turn plow a field around here without turning up several. But, nobody plows any more, so it is much more diffcult to find them now days.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:45 pm Crusty, how do you differentiate the atlatl from the arrow points?
That's a great question. I sure wouldn't claim to know for sure. I can only speculate by studying collector's guidebooks in order to learn established point type to date range associations, which are based on archaeology reports. The point types that predate the introduction of the bow (circa 800 a.d. in my area afaik) I have to assume were atlatl dart points. Definitely not a scientific approach, just good enough to satisfy my curiosity.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I`m going to keep looking as there were lots of Native American tribes here in MN.
I think there may have been a camp here on my property as there`s a flat area this side of a lake, also small rivers are a good place to look.
A old friend that is diseased now that he was standing by a boat ramp on Leach lake and about a 6 inch spear point washed up on the ramp, he called to his wife in the car and when he looked back it washed back into the lake.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

My Grandfather found about 3 dozen and some really nice ones too! I have found two broken ones and one day talking with my Dad at Gramps place he bent over and picked one up! He said look at that a perfect war point!!! You have to look where they are. One of mine I found in a sand bar while trout fishing.
DadsMod12
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DadsMod12 »

Nice collection! I grew up 1/2 mile from the Olentangy Indian Caverns. Every spring I would go out and search for arrow heads when Dad tilled the garden. Dad used to have a 3 pound coffee can half full of arrow heads. They were not perfect, Dad thought maybe they used this area to make them. Most of them were very imperfect.