Finally!!! I finally Got Myself A Winchester 1886

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Finally!!! I finally Got Myself A Winchester 1886

Post by Rube Burrows »

https://youtu.be/oQdp4URiQ2o

I had been wanting a Winchester 1886 for many years now but one has slipped my grasp for one reason or another till yesterday.

This is a little preview I made for the YouTube channel.

Wish I could figure out how to embed the video straight to the forum so you didn't have to click a link but could never figure it out on this particular forum.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Finally!!! I finally Got Myself A Winchester 1886

Post by Oldncrusty »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Big congrats. Here's hoping I get eighty sixed one of these years.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Congrats on a fine rifle Sir! About two years ago now I bought that exact rifle, a Miroku 1886 Takedown in 45-70 with a 26" octogon barrel. From what I've been able to determine they were made one year, 1999.

Pointer about your reloads: using dummy rounds I found that my chamber had plenty of room to load Hornadys FTX and Monoflex bullets without trimming the brass. No cycling issues either.

That tang sight looks like it may be a Soule Long Range sight.

My 86 is a bit different now. I took it to Turnbull and had a full makeover done on it along with the tang safety delete and had it rechambered to 45-90.

This is how she looks now.
IMG_20220912_155923121.jpg
IMG_20220912_155947211.jpg
IMG_20220912_155915490.jpg
IMG_20220912_155907930.jpg
IMG_20220912_155935212.jpg
IMG_20220912_155931574.jpg

I'm a big fan of the Miroku JMB Winchesters. Yes, they have the tang safety, but other than that they are very fine rifles. I also have a Winchester Miroku 1892 Short Rifle made in 2017 I picked up in December and it's made just as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by RIDERED350r on Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Excellent!!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Oldncrusty wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:04 pm :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Big congrats. Here's hoping I get eighty sixed one of these years.
Thanks. I had been wanting one for so long. I am very happy to have this one. I just ordered some dies for it so I can make up some rounds.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

RIDERED350r wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:11 pm Congrats on a fine rifle Sir! About two years ago now I bought that exact rifle, a Miroku 1886 Takedown in 45-70 with a 26" octogon barrel. From what I've been able to determine they were made one year, 1999.

Pointer about your reloads: using dummy rounds I found that my chamber had plenty of room to load Hornadys FTX and Monoflex bullets without trimming the brass. No cycling issues either.

That tang sight looks like it may be a Soule Long Range sight.

My 86 is a bit different now. I took it to Turnbull and had a full makeover done on it along with the tang safety delete and had it rechambered to 45-90.

This is how she looks now.

IMG_20220912_155923121.jpgIMG_20220912_155947211.jpgIMG_20220912_155915490.jpgIMG_20220912_155907930.jpgIMG_20220912_155935212.jpgIMG_20220912_155931574.jpg.

I'm a big fan of the Miroku JMB Winchesters. Yes, they have the tang safety, but other than that they are very fine rifles. I also have a Winchester Miroku 1892 Short Rifle made in 2017 I picked up in December and it's made just as well.

WOW man that thing is super nice. A turnbull makeover would be another part of the dream come true. This one has had the rebounding hammer corrected and the tang safety deleted.

Thanks for the pointer on the bullets. I ordered me some dies today. Now I need to source out some bullets.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Tycer wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:20 pmExcellent!!
Thanks.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Congrats to both! I believe if I could find one in 33wcf I'd jump on it if it was in good shape and reasonable!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

awesome! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Congratulations Rube, that rifle looks every bit a great hunting tool and loads of fun on the range ..... 8) :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Thanks yall. I am patiently waiting on my dies to get here now. If I can find a box of factory ammo this weekend I will pick it up so I can shoot it.

Anyone have any pet loads they want to share for the 45-70?
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Rube Burrows wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:30 pm Thanks yall. I am patiently waiting on my dies to get here now. If I can find a box of factory ammo this weekend I will pick it up so I can shoot it.

Well, my 45-70 is a Henry and my pet load that I've had fantastic performance with is using the Hornady 325gr FTX pushed by AA1680 at the max Marlin level in Hornady 11th which is 51.4gr. But, being that the Henry requires the brass to be trimmed to Hornadys spec for that bullet, it may or may not do well for you and your 1886. That said, the load has proven amazingly accurate and gets right at 2000fps over the chrony with the Henry's 19.5" barrel. Using the factory open sights I shot the best 100yds 3rd group of my life with it. I was using a bench and sandbags so there's that caveat. Also, I'm not saying I can shoot like this every day, but that day things just clicked. Here is a pic of the target, 3rds at 100yds, one ragged hole.

IMG_20220410_155540008_HDR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

RIDERED350r wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:03 pm
Rube Burrows wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:30 pm Thanks yall. I am patiently waiting on my dies to get here now. If I can find a box of factory ammo this weekend I will pick it up so I can shoot it.

Well, my 45-70 is a Henry and my pet load that I've had fantastic performance with is using the Hornady 325gr FTX pushed by AA1680 at the max Marlin level in Hornady 11th which is 51.4gr. But, being that the Henry requires the brass to be trimmed to Hornadys spec for that bullet, it may or may not do well for you and your 1886. That said, the load has proven amazingly accurate and gets right at 2000fps over the chrony with the Henry's 19.5" barrel. Using the factory open sights I shot the best 100yds 3rd group of my life with it. I was using a bench and sandbags so there's that caveat. Also, I'm not saying I can shoot like this every day, but that day things just clicked. Here is a pic of the target, 3rds at 100yds, one ragged hole.

IMG_20220410_155540008_HDR.jpg

Very nice. Thanks for the info.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Any time.

As I said earlier in this thread, using a barely seated FTX in an empty case, I determined my 1886 chamber had lots of breathing room to allow the use of those bullets on standard length cases. And I do recall they shot very tight from my '86 but I don't recall which powder I used. I think it was AA1680 in those loads as well.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

RIDERED350r wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:39 pm Any time.

As I said earlier in this thread, using a barely seated FTX in an empty case, I determined my 1886 chamber had lots of breathing room to allow the use of those bullets on standard length cases. And I do recall they shot very tight from my '86 but I don't recall which powder I used. I think it was AA1680 in those loads as well.
Nice. I will experiment with mine to see what it likes.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I tell ya Rube…..you, me, and Jay (Old Win) would get along fine…….I can see your a “good ole boy redneck”, just like we are…

Anyway, you bought proper my man, the Japs make the best of all reproductions which in my opinion, will outlast the originals. They cost more than the Italian junk but that gun you have will outlast you, me and the moon.:D………

You’re concerned about the vernier sight……it’s an “exacting sight” with precision in mind and it usually on single shots. For all around shooting, you would be happier with a regular Marbles tang sight……..while your sight is not hard to learn it’s more time consuming along with head thinking. You even have the adjustable aperture that you can adjust according to your eyesight and daylight. Personally, I can’t even see the lines anymore on a vernier so I just use a regular tang sight and mark the turning knob with a dot of white paint and count the turns according to the distance I’m firing.

Yea….load cast at 13-1500 for all around shooting. 13 grains of Unique, loose in the case will work with any grain bullet. Size them .459. 28-30 grains of 5744 will work just as good……..no need to be a bad azz and push them 1800……unless you want to……….I hear guys all the time, “oh yea, I shoot my 45-70’s at 2,000 fps.”, pumping their chest out….. :D What they don’t tell you is they may shoot 20 rounds and call it quits…..I like to shoot hundreds without flinching……

Your rifle will handle about anything and that’s your business how you load them. You can’t hurt it at any velocity but you will leave the gun club with a smile on your face when you shoot “pleasurably.”

A man who knows his rifle is less concerned with velocity……feel free to ask anything ….fellow redneck. :D ———6
Model A Uzi’s
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

I hope I didn't come across as chest thumping as that was not my purpose. Just sharing a load that shot extremely well for me 🙂.

That said, I don't find those loads particularly punishing from my Henry that tips the scales at a pretty lightweight 7lbs. The wide carbine buttplate I think helps spread out the energy a bit.

Here is my crazy 14 year old daughter firing that rifle for the first time using that exact load. She begged and begged to shoot it for a good while and I finally relented and after some coaching on what to expect she sent it. Crazy kid 🤣

https://youtu.be/lPyjMk5FvFo
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Sixgun wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:06 am I tell ya Rube…..you, me, and Jay (Old Win) would get along fine…….I can see your a “good ole boy redneck”, just like we are…

Anyway, you bought proper my man, the Japs make the best of all reproductions which in my opinion, will outlast the originals. They cost more than the Italian junk but that gun you have will outlast you, me and the moon.:D………

You’re concerned about the vernier sight……it’s an “exacting sight” with precision in mind and it usually on single shots. For all around shooting, you would be happier with a regular Marbles tang sight……..while your sight is not hard to learn it’s more time consuming along with head thinking. You even have the adjustable aperture that you can adjust according to your eyesight and daylight. Personally, I can’t even see the lines anymore on a vernier so I just use a regular tang sight and mark the turning knob with a dot of white paint and count the turns according to the distance I’m firing.

Yea….load cast at 13-1500 for all around shooting. 13 grains of Unique, loose in the case will work with any grain bullet. Size them .459. 28-30 grains of 5744 will work just as good……..no need to be a bad azz and push them 1800……unless you want to……….I hear guys all the time, “oh yea, I shoot my 45-70’s at 2,000 fps.”, pumping their chest out….. :D What they don’t tell you is they may shoot 20 rounds and call it quits…..I like to shoot hundreds without flinching……

Your rifle will handle about anything and that’s your business how you load them. You can’t hurt it at any velocity but you will leave the gun club with a smile on your face when you shoot “pleasurably.”

A man who knows his rifle is less concerned with velocity……feel free to ask anything ….fellow redneck. :D ———6

Haha.....Thanks Six. Yeah, That is about me in a nutshell. Just a good ole boy that loves to shoot and has a love for older style "Cowboy" era guns. I have plenty of Unique on hand so that sounds good to me.

I watched a pretty good video on youtube that explained the sight very nicely. I have had plenty Marble's style tang sights but never one like this.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

RIDERED350r wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:49 am I hope I didn't come across as chest thumping as that was not my purpose. Just sharing a load that shot extremely well for me 🙂.

That said, I don't find those loads particularly punishing from my Henry that tips the scales at a pretty lightweight 7lbs. The wide carbine buttplate I think helps spread out the energy a bit.

Here is my crazy 14 year old daughter firing that rifle for the first time using that exact load. She begged and begged to shoot it for a good while and I finally relented and after some coaching on what to expect she sent it. Crazy kid 🤣

Oh man, That is awesome. Her smile says it all.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

RIDERED350r wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:49 am I hope I didn't come across as chest thumping as that was not my purpose. Just sharing a load that shot extremely well for me 🙂.

Oh man!..I was saying that figuratively……I didn’t know how much experience good ole boy Rube has with the 45-70………If there was anybody who is guilty of “man loads” it’s me…….in the beginning everything had to be “full load” or at least warmish…….

You daughter sure looks surprised and she handled it better than most grown men……..:D….she smiled but I bet she wouldn’t want to do it again.:D

You see, this was when I was “chest thumping”….yea…I was bad….a real b.a…..this is an original 1886 made in 1903 in 45-90.
This is for you younguns as the old heads here have seen this.

This went off in my face and for the grace of the Good Lord, I’m as handsome as I’ve always been…….I must have picked out pieces of wood and metal out of my arm for a month…………ask any soldier who has been in an explosion and that’s all you see is a bright white light. $4,000 of gun gone in a split second but I bought this gun in 1974 for $400 when a $100 was a decent weeks wages. This happened in 2003.

Model A Uzi’s
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Holy cow Sixgun!! That's terrible across the board! Glad you weren't permanently injured

Did you figure out what happened to cause the failure?

Believe it or not, she fired it a second time, there's a video of her second shot on my channel. And she still bugs me about shooting it more 🤣 . She has a '53 Win 94 in 32Spl and will blow through a box of ammo in pretty short order with that. Not a factory box either, one of my reloaders boxes that holds 50rds. I also have a 94 in 32Spl so we share that ammo. I load them midrange. They shoot well and still get the job done just fine.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Hey...very nice to see you took the time and knowledge to introduce your daughter to our great sport.......sometimes as youngsters they will hide their pain to impress dad. :D load up 50rds with 12-13 gr. Of unique and she just might pester you more.....

You tell her "ole 6" is proud of her.

The old 86 "went" due to a lifetime of shooting warm loads.....1800+ rds on my log....metal fatigue I was told. It was bp steel before the advent of nickel steel.--6
Model A Uzi’s
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

I love my Browning's!
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

veeman wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:38 am I love my Browning's!

Very nice.

Six, I have had a few 45-70s over the years but mainly Marlin 1895s and some single shots.

Its been at least 10 years though since I have owned one. I never loaded for it but I am def. planning to load for this one since Ammo is like it is these days.

I did pick up two boxes of factory ammon yesterday at a gun show and shot it some yesterday. Video coming to my YouTube channel tomorrow morning. I will post it here for those who are not subscribed.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

https://youtu.be/jvjWuvgdjZ4

Here is a video from my first outing with the 1886.

On a side note, how in the heck to you post a video here where all you have to do is click the play button instead of having to click the link ?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I commented on your video about the crescent buttstock and where to place it on your shoulder than maximizes the amount of muscle the buttstock has to help absorb recoil. With your elbow held high, the point of the shoulder has more padding out toward the point of your shoulder. With your elbow tucked in, it may feel like you have more padding, but, it is more fleshy in nature, the muscle is a better than the flesh covered bone structure on the inside of your shoulder. Some even like to place the buttstock on their bicep, but I find that very uncomfortable.

My 1886 is the earlier Browning copy from Miruko... also in 45-70, not a take-down. :( While I've hot-rodded it in the past, I've found better groups in the less than 1400 fps area. It still wears the factory sights, which have always worked, but I'd like to change them to a tang & globe front... One of those... when I get "round-to-it" deals!
Browning.jpg
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Good video Rube, all this 86 & 45-70 got me interested!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Had my 1886 for several years now. Many miles on multiple countries on it
Now recovering from some months of distraction by Covid and such.
Will try to catch up soon.
Dang, even typing is a challenge , but. onward and ,,,
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Rube, nice rifle and video! I found a Browning 1886 Saddle ring carbine a couple of years ago. I have it set up with a padded buttcuff similar to Veeman's
because that steel butt is a little rough shooting from the bench.
Very well made.

Thanks for sharing,
JBowen
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Griff wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:38 pm I commented on your video about the crescent buttstock and where to place it on your shoulder than maximizes the amount of muscle the buttstock has to help absorb recoil. With your elbow held high, the point of the shoulder has more padding out toward the point of your shoulder. With your elbow tucked in, it may feel like you have more padding, but, it is more fleshy in nature, the muscle is a better than the flesh covered bone structure on the inside of your shoulder. Some even like to place the buttstock on their bicep, but I find that very uncomfortable.

My 1886 is the earlier Browning copy from Miruko... also in 45-70, not a take-down. :( While I've hot-rodded it in the past, I've found better groups in the less than 1400 fps area. It still wears the factory sights, which have always worked, but I'd like to change them to a tang & globe front... One of those... when I get "round-to-it" deals!
Browning.jpg

Got your comment there. I thought that may be you from this page. Thanks for the pointers. I should def. try that. I have tried shooting like that in the past but find myself with my elbow slipping back down if I am not thinking about.

I def. like my first results with this one. Can't wait to shoot it some more. My dies should arive today.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Drawdown wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:08 pm Good video Rube, all this 86 & 45-70 got me interested!

Thanks. I have had several 45-70s in the past but they were Marlin 1895 rifle or single shots like a Sharps. The 86 was on my wish list for a long time.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

crs wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:57 pm Had my 1886 for several years now. Many miles on multiple countries on it
Now recovering from some months of distraction by Covid and such.
Will try to catch up soon.
Dang, even typing is a challenge , but. onward and ,,,

Oh yeah. Well hope you get fully back at it sooner rather than later. Good luck.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

JBowen wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:15 pm Rube, nice rifle and video! I found a Browning 1886 Saddle ring carbine a couple of years ago. I have it set up with a padded buttcuff similar to Veeman's
Very well made.

Thanks for sharing,
JBowen
Nice, those carbines are pretty nifty. Maybe one day I can run up on one of those as well. The longer configuration is what I was after for the first one though. Just love the look of them.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Rube Burrows wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:37 pm
JBowen wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:15 pm Rube, nice rifle and video! I found a Browning 1886 Saddle ring carbine a couple of years ago. I have it set up with a padded buttcuff similar to Veeman's
Very well made.

Thanks for sharing,
JBowen
Nice, those carbines are pretty nifty. Maybe one day I can run up on one of those as well. The longer configuration is what I was after for the first one though. Just love the look of them.
I'm with you there, an 1886 or 1876 with a long octogon barrel are my favorite for style points. That said I also own a super handy and light weight Henry 45-70 brass with the side gate that has a 19.5" barrel. It's proven superbly accurate with my handloads and carries in the woods light and handy. Wouldn't mind finding one of few and elusive 1886 Trappers that Winchester/Miroku put out in limited numbers several years back. But man when you find one the prices get bid up pretty high. If I recall the last one I bid on about a year ago went north of $3000. And I haven't come across another since.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

RIDERED350r wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:43 pm
Very well made.

Thanks for sharing,
JBowen
I'm with you there, an 1886 or 1876 with a long octogon barrel are my favorite for style points. That said I also own a super handy and light weight Henry 45-70 brass with the side gate that has a 19.5" barrel. It's proven superbly accurate with my handloads and carries in the woods light and handy. Wouldn't mind finding one of few and elusive 1886 Trappers that Winchester/Miroku put out in limited numbers several years back. But man when you find one the prices get bid up pretty high. If I recall the last one I bid on about a year ago went north of $3000. And I haven't come across another since.
For sure. Seems everything has gone or is going through the roof lately.
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

Very well made.

Thanks for sharing,
JBowen
CDNN has some saddle ring 1886 carbines right now. Pricey but so is everything else:

https://www.cdnnsports.com/winchester-r ... -ring.html
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

ndcowboy wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:22 pm
Very well made.

Thanks for sharing,
JBowen
CDNN has some saddle ring 1886 carbines right now. Pricey but so is everything else:

https://www.cdnnsports.com/winchester-r ... -ring.html
That price these days is actually not all that bad.