My first double- 1928 Ithaca

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

My first double- 1928 Ithaca

Post by Oldncrusty »

Been hankering to try a SxS for quite a while to see if I like them. Just an entry level classic American version in 20 or 16 was my goal.I was not having any luck finding anything in my price range that wasn't either shot loose, or cobbled on. Finally! A local had just taken this in on trade and had put a 599.00 tag on it. It's well used, but well taken care of. Locks up like a vault. It is a 12 ga., but I couldn't resist, especially since it has hard to find 26" bbls. Rabbits beware!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: My first double- 1928 Ithaca

Post by gamekeeper »

Congratulations and welcome to the world of proper shotguns..... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Ithaca NID Field Grade I believe with cocking indicators . Very nice 8)
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Nice! Certainly worth every penny. Nothing wrong with the Ithaca guns, well done.
Like you I too have been looking for a 20 bore gun, I'm still looking!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

gamekeeper wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:54 am Congratulations and welcome to the world of proper shotguns..... :D
Thank you. I think I will like it there. Already eyeballing the next higher grade. :D
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very cool congrats. 8) 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

6pt-sika wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:37 am Ithaca NID Field Grade I believe with cocking indicators . Very nice 8)
That's it. My post was getting long so I didn't get to the details. The New Ithaca Double (NID). Made from 1925 to 1948, but due to the depression, and war, only made around 45,000 in all grades. Supposedly the strongest action they made. Thanks
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Pitchy wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:56 am Very cool congrats. 8) 8) :)
Thanks Len.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Classy bunny buster!
Have fun.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
JRD
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JRD »

I'd be happy to shoot a few birds with that one. Good luck with it and welcome to the world of vintage doubles.
Take good care of it, don't use it to shoot "cruise missile" loads, and it will last you for many years afield.
cj57
Levergunner

Post by cj57 »

Congrats, very Nice! You will love it! and then try to grab others! I like 16s!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Very good. :mrgreen: I have about 6 doubles, all 12s, but only 2 are vintage, all except those are imports. One double is a "store" gun, that isn't in good enough shape to shoot with anything but very light or BP loads. Which means I've never shot it! The other is "house" gun by Stevens and the first shotgun I used in cowboy action. I bought as a full choked 28" bird gun, but cut it down to 20" after a robbery. Somewhere in its life before me the owner'd restocked and refinished it. Luckily, Stevens 311 parts fit, so when I broke it, I could fix it. Good luck, I hope you're a better caretaker than I've been for my vintage shotguns!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

Classic double!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

That there's a lovely bit of American ordnance! I've been looking for a SXS here in coffee country for a looong time. O/U's are everywhere, and a fair number of semi-autos, but have only seen one SXS and it didn't have papers. Like gamekeeper said, welcome to the world of proper shotguns! :lol:
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Oldncrusty wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:59 am
6pt-sika wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:37 am Ithaca NID Field Grade I believe with cocking indicators . Very nice 8)
That's it. My post was getting long so I didn't get to the details. The New Ithaca Double (NID). Made from 1925 to 1948, but due to the depression, and war, only made around 45,000 in all grades. Supposedly the strongest action they made. Thanks
I had an Ithaca NID Grade 2 in 10 gauge 2 7/8” . Bought the gun forty plus years ago and finally let it go last year . Killed two deer with the gun using my buckshot handloads . The first with 000 buck and the other with #3 buck . I’ve got a friend in PA that has quite a collection of Ithaca doubles in most all grades and gauges .
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Ya did well and you know, the test will be in the field or clay birds…..I just sold a 95% Ithaca made in 1919 with factory engraving and never could hit much with it as with a shotgun everything is how it fits to your physique. My very best and almost the last shotgun I own that I can hit with is a beat up Lefever 12 ga m&f…..the last is a model 24 Winchester….
Model A Uzi’s
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

AmBraCol wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:15 am That there's a lovely bit of American ordnance! Like gamekeeper said, welcome to the world of proper shotguns! :lol:
Thanks for the welcome Paul. Best of luck in your search.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

6pt-sika wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:28 pm
I had an Ithaca NID Grade 2 in 10 gauge 2 7/8” . Bought the gun forty plus years ago and finally let it go last year . Killed two deer with the gun using my buckshot handloads . The first with 000 buck and the other with #3 buck . I’ve got a friend in PA that has quite a collection of Ithaca doubles in most all grades and gauges .
I used to crave a 10 ga., But I don't think my bum neck would approve any more. This 12 might be too much. Can't believe how light it is.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Sixgun wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:32 pm Ya did well and you know, the test will be in the field or clay birds…..
I really like the way this one feels. But I've never been much of a wingshot. Got to get down to the local club and join up and try some trap shooting. I was expecting some open choke on the 26" bbls., but she's a 2 and 4.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Old and Crusty……trap shooting isn’t difficult at all to be a good shooter……being an “excellent” or “master” shooter is difficult. It all has to do with leading at the proper speed and angle…..under 40 yards elevation means little….

Knowing where your gun hits is paramount as I’ve had shotguns that would put the bulk of their pattern a foot high and a foot to the left at 20 yards….you really don’t “aim” with a shotgun. …it’s an extension of your body.

Don’t listen to the “experts”…they don’t want you to know common secrets. Like anything else, it’s practice and devotion.——0006
Model A Uzi’s
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Oldncrusty wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:46 pm
6pt-sika wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:28 pm
I used to crave a 10 ga., But I don't think my bum neck would approve any more. This 12 might be too much. Can't believe how light it is.
You’ve probably got a more acute neck ailment than myself , but my neck bothers me all the time and I shoot the 10 gauge guns as much as my 12’s and 16’s . And at the risk of sounding boastful I shoot my 10 hammer and hammerless guns quite well . I’ve got a 10 1/2 pound Parker Grade 2 10 gauge hammer gun that’s been restocked and an extra set of fluid steel barrels added that have 3 1/2” chambers and Briley screw ins . It’ll thump you with factory 3 1/2” stuff but with my 2 7/8” handloads it isn’t bad at all . The second picture is of a Parker DH 10 I acquired right before Xmas that I also shoot quite well , those two good Lord willing will be used at most of the shoots this spring/summer . The DH in the second pic is the gun on the bottom .
93E35327-0076-4B79-B0D0-BEEFFD0063F4.jpeg
00BE911C-7D95-410D-9994-0A7C8EAD18FC.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

I'd sure be bragging on that hunt. Other than migratory birds, I am sol for bird hunting. The grouse disappeared after the turkeys were reestablished, and we have never had enough quail to hunt. I need to find a pay to play outfit.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Oldncrusty wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:10 pm I'd sure be bragging on that hunt. Other than migratory birds, I am sol for bird hunting. The grouse disappeared after the turkeys were reestablished, and we have never had enough quail to hunt. I need to find a pay to play outfit.
When I shoot pheasants it typically is at a tower shoot or the following day doing walk up . I did eight tower shoots this year , a quail box bird shoot and a quail preserve hunt . Two of the tower shoots were 150 pheasants and ducks combined . One tower shoot was 500 pheasants , the rest of the tower shoots are 400-500 total birds combined of pheasants , Partidge and pigeons . Not hunting as such but generally it’s a good group of folks that I usually know most all of them . Thanks for the compliment but you need to under stand I’ve been shooting clay targets in ALL forms for over forty years . Many years of competitive skeet/trap and now SxS competitive sporting clays as well as shooting in the pigeon rings whenever I get an invite . To be totally honest you could say I’ve wasted almost an entire life killing deer shooting birds smashing clay targets and punching holes in paper . But it is what it is and I enjoyed it .