How much does your rifle weigh?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

How much does your rifle weigh?

Post by geobru »

I just read the thread about Model 71's and there were some gun weight comparisons in it. That got me to thinking about the weights of some of my rifles, so I weighed a few Winchesters to see how they all compare. This is what I found:

Model-Caliber-lbs/oz
1886 - 40-82 - 9/1 (26" Oct bbl)
M71 DLX - 348 - 7/13
M88 - 308 - 7/13 (w/ Nikon 3-9x scope)
1894 - 32 Spcl - 7/10 (26" Oct. bbl)
1886 - 45-90 - 7/6 (Shortened magazine and 20" barrel)
BLR - 308 - 7/6 - (W/ 2-7x Redfield sdope)
M64 - 30-30 - 7/2
M94 - 30-30 - 6/5 (Carbine)

Looking at these numbers, and knowing which guns I prefer to hunt with, I determined that the weight by itself isn't the only factor affecting my prefernces on what I prefer to carry. For me, it comes down to balance and effectiveness when you pop a cap on something.

What does your gun weigh?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: How much does your rifle weigh?

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’ve got a pair of rifles I prefer carrying now both are Mannlicher Schoenauer with full length stocks ones in 6.5x54 MS and the others in 7x57 . Both are light and kinda short but that’s kinda a moot point as I generally carry a double barrel shotgun as well loaded with a slug in the right barrel and buck in the left barrel . But I pretty much only deer hunt out of a treestand . The shotguns there more as something I just like using my home concocted buck n slug loads . My 6.5x54 MS in the first pic and a big Parker double in the second picture .
840F7716-5496-4EE8-A399-65773E330E52.jpeg
840F7716-5496-4EE8-A399-65773E330E52.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Well geo bro…..the old rifles weigh more due to the density of the wood. The walnut in those days was mostly first growth taken from the north woods.Today they use about anything they can get and the walnut they do use is sometimes grown on the tree system of a previous tree.

I can tell the difference instantly when someone hands me 2 rifles of the same design and make but from different eras…..newer ones feel “tinny”.

I’d like to say I enjoy hunting with a 7.5 lb rifle but nothing beats woodsbumming with a 5 lb Model 25 Remington.

As to your original question….anywhere from 5 pounds to 14 lbs…..to 22 lbs
Model A Uzi’s
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Geobru: Interesting topic. I have to work on flooring this morning or I would haul mine out and weigh them. By the way, that is just a lovely selection of rifles you have there. Been having night sweats about a Model 64 lately -- or a 336A in .30 WCF :lol:
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I have a few rifles in the 5-7 lb. range, but the vast majority fall into the 10-17 lb. range, and are old 1800's single shots. The heaviest is my .50 caliber 1874 Sharps at close to 17 lbs. Lightest iss my little #4 Remington single shot at probably 5 lbs., or maybe even a bit under that?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Here are my favorites for wandering through the hills. 7 to 8 pounds. I have a few lighter and a few heavier but most of mine fall in this 7 to 8 or a bit over range. I always thought it interesting that a 20# overweight guy with 10 pounds of lunch/water/etc. in his day pack could get in a lather about 6 oz. more or less of gun.
Win m92 25/20 fully loaded
2520Aloaded.jpg
336A fully loaded
Marlin336A.jpg
Win m92 38/40 loaded
Win3840151.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I gotta say, that "fully loaded" weight is probably more important than "light" weight numbers. Too bad I don't have the equivalent to share...

Probably my favorite rifle is a Uberti 1873 Sporting Rifle in 45 Colt, tipping the scales @ 7-¾ lbs. My most oft used rifle is a Uberti 1973 Short Rifle w/½round/octagon bbl also in 45 Colt at 7-½ lbs. It's wood must be much denser than its brother's as it has at least 6" less barrel. A rather newish favorite is a Winchester 94 '66 Centennial Short Rifle in .30-30, octagon bbl @ 7-¼ lbs. A dream to shoot is the "newish-to-me" 1885 in .32-40 coming in @ 9-¼ lbs. My other 1885 is a 20" ½ rnd/oct 45 Colt coming in @ 6-½ lbs. My favorite leveraction target gun is a Winchester 94 from 1978 outfitted with a Numrich 26" full octagon bbl in .30-30 and it tips the scales @ 8-¾ lbs plus maybe an ounce or two... I only have a balance beam scale that's only marked in 1/4 lb increments. My Shiloh Sharps on my scale only reads 11 lbs, but when last weighed for NRA BPCRS weighed in at 12 lbs 1 oz. My 1st year production Browning 1886 comes in @ half way between 9 & 9-¼ lbs, 26" full octagon in 45-70. My favorite hunting levergun is a 1st year mdl 64A Winchester @ 6-¾ lbs. My favorite Wild Bunch competition rifle is an AWA Lighting in .44WCF w/a 24" round bbl., weighing 6-¼ lbs. Those are all weighed on the same scale, being lightly supported to be upright and the pointer of the scale approximately half way in the range. Not exact by any means, but close enough for my purposes.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

I have three favorite heavy bench rifles:

Shiloh-Sharps #1, 34" barrel, .45-2.4" and with scope it weighs just shy of 25 lbs.
Sharps Borchardt M1878, 34" barrel, .45- 2 7/8". Weighs about 14 lbs.
Browning BPCR rebarreled to .30-40 and with scope it weighs about 10-11 lbs.

My lever rifles and other single shots are about the advertised weight.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

When I did a lot of deer and elk hunting I always wanted a lightweight rifle, but the lightweights I owned just weren't as accurate as my older heavy bolt guns. My Rem. 700VSF weighs right at 10 lbs. and I was constantly changing shoulders as we hiked around during hunting season. But it was the most accurate bolt gun I own, and the confidence it gave me when taking aim at game that was 350-400 yds. away was always worth packing the extra weight.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/