Marlin Model 1936

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin Model 1936

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

Just became the caretaker of this fine gun in 30-30. Fired it a few times and now the firing pin is broken. Have never replaced one before. The bolt is like the 1893 and not the 336. I have the bolt out and tried to punch out the two retaining pins. They are stuck so I have then soaking with some breakfree. Do these pins come out in only one direction? Looks like you punch from the bottom side out through the top? Is that correct?
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Marlin Model 1936

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

Got them out this morning with an alternate method. Many may know this but just in case some don't I did it with a heavy duty drill press. Put in a pin size drill bit and used some wood to make a block. They came out hard but it moved them where pounding with a punch did not.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I don't have much experience with the early models but I do think the pins punch from the bottom to the top. Obviously you figured it out on your own before anybody responded...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

We'll be needing photo verification of said 1936, ya know. :lol:
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I have a block of hardwood that I drilled 1/8" holes in specifically for the task of punching pins out on Marlin breech bolts to remove firing pins. It allows the old square bolts to sit flat, and the hole gives the pins a place to move to as I tap them out.
You have figured them out now, but they can drift either direction. I generally don't drift them completely out, just to make reinstallation easier. Drift them out enough to allow the pin halves to be removed, but leave them slightly in place so I just need to tap them down flush once I install the firing pin halves.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

20230305_115216.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

Still waiting on the firing pin so the breech block is still out. It shot good but too high so I put in a taller front sight. dry fired it a few times to see how it felt. Went down to the range to see if the front sight was tall enough and she would not fire. Never had any issues with dry firing causing issues before. Maybe a different steel in these older ones?
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Sharp, sharp, sharp. :mrgreen: Never seen one in the flesh.