Shooting The Old H&R This Morning

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Shooting The Old H&R This Morning

Post by JimT »

I got to messing around with the old H&R this morning, wanting to shoot it. I had noticed weeks ago that the 9mm case is just a tad shorter than the .38 S&W case. I pushed a .375" diameter round ball on the end of a 9mm case and dropped it in the chamber. Lo and behold it was the exact length that would be needed. So today I decided to shoot some of them.

I loaded one with 1.5 gr. Bullseye and fired it into a wadded up old flannel shirt. It was quite wimpy and did not even penetrate the cloth. So back to the shop and I loaded one with 2.0 gr. Bullseye. Fired into the shirt it still did not penetrate 1 layer of cloth. A fun load for shooting rats but I am not sure it would hurt them severely. Back to the loading bench and this time 2.6 gr. Bullseye. The report was more like a gun and the wadded up shirt was knocked off the table I had it on. Checking I found it penetrated 1 layer of cloth and dented the next layer. THIS would be a rat load!

None of the cartridges swelled out to the chamber at all. All 3 were smoked pretty well. I don't trust this old gun too much and don't plan on going any heavier right now. I may work up to 3 gr. in a couple steps, but I am not real sure I want to. It's more for fun than anything else.

Here's some photos of the steps during testing this morning.

9mm case with .375" round ball .. a little grease on the ball
IMG_4915.JPG
In the chamber, loaded with 2.0 gr. Bullseye. Note that it protrudes enough from the chamber to headspace close to normal.
IMG_4917.JPG
Fired into a wadded up flannel shirt, it did not penetrate 1 layer of cloth!
IMG_4918.JPG
The fired cartridge was driven into the chamber by the firing pin after firing. You have to use a small rod to eject the empties
IMG_4925.JPG
Bullet hole! 2.6 gr. Bullseye penetrated one layer of cloth.
IMG_4934.JPG
Fired balls ...they measure .359"

IMG_4932.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Shooting The Old H&R This Morning

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Where there is a will, there's a way. Nice job of MacGyvering up some loads, Jim. 8)
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Thanks Jim. pretty fun from here! :D .
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

We need a like button :D 8)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Nath wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:38 pm We need a like button :D 8)
Agreed!

Jim, was there any lead spray at the forcing cone? .375" starting diameter certainly is significantly larger than the .359" recovered rounds. Granted, they weren't trucking along, and the soft lead helps, but I was curious.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:45 pm Jim, was there any lead spray at the forcing cone? .375" starting diameter certainly is significantly larger than the .359" recovered rounds. Granted, they weren't trucking along, and the soft lead helps, but I was curious.
No. The balls are sized down in the cylinder throats before they hit the forcing cone.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Glad to see it up and running. I could use something similar. Got someone pilfering eggs.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

8)
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com