Smith & Wesson M1917 Value?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Smith & Wesson M1917 Value?

Post by shooter »

Hello gentlemen,

I have not posted here in quite a while, but still browse the forums from time to time. I have an old M1917 that a guy at work is trying to get rid of. I am unfamiliar with these guns. It seems like a pretty neat little gun, but I have no idea where to start on valuing it. I've provided pictures of all of the markings I can find. I'm thinking the barrel has been cut down, and it looks like it may have been ribbed at some point? There is also a small hole worn in the latch on one of the cylinder chambers. I wasn't sure how big of an issue that is. I am finding stock guns that are going for $800-$1,000, but I have no idea on one that has been modified. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
IMG_4439.jpg
IMG_4447.jpg
IMG_4446.jpg
IMG_4445.jpg
IMG_4444.jpg
IMG_4443.jpg
IMG_4442.jpg
IMG_4441.jpg
IMG_4440.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Smith & Wesson M1917 Value?

Post by Rockrat »

I would say definitely, the barrel has been cut down. Add that it looks like a hole has been drilled in the bolt stop notch of the cylinder, what for I have no idea, unless it was for pressure testing of loads, but that chamber in the cylinder has been rendered useless. Then you have the missing lanyard loop. You might be able to find a replacement cylinder, but that would probably be $$. Same with a replacement barrel (which used to be cheap---long ago). If I saw that in a gun shop, I might give $250 for the 5 shot revolver. I would also loctite something in that chamber to prevent an accidental loading of that chamber.

That $800-$1000 would be for a gun in original and very good condition, which the above is neither
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I agree with Rockrat. You could restore that thing but it would take at least another cylinder and barrel. Perhaps more. I am not sure why anyone would drill a hole in a bolt stop? Unless that one was bulged by an overload ...... If you can get it for $200 or less you can afford to put some money into it and have it restored.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

That hole in the bolt stop doesn't look like it was drilled. It really looks like it was rusted through or something. The cylinder has some heavy pitting marks toward the front and along the edges of the flutes. But the hole is jagged on the edges and not perfectly round. The rifling in the barrel is also pretty heavily worn, and has pitting inside. It was probably neglected at some point in its long life. I thought it was a pretty handy little sixgun, and I bet it's got plenty of stories to tell. Now just to decide if I want to put in the money and effort into getting it in a little better shape :lol:
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Jim is spot on as usual. You have a $200 paperweight, of spend a couple of bucks on it and make something interesting out of it. Looks like the acceptance marks are already gone, so trying to restore to "original" would be difficult. Even finding the correct grips these days takes a while. I still need a couple sets.

I love the 1917s and military issue Second Model Hand Ejectors, but my favorite to shoot is the .455 Webley second from the left. Even though it's been worked over. That big, heavy slow moving bullet is just fun!

There's a couple of K frames that snuck into that picture. :D
jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Sounds like you're going to need at least a cylinder and a barrel to get it up and running proper. After watching JimT's restoration of that old H&R, this one would be a cake walk. :D I'm still stuck in the late 20th Century as for prices, seems like it's a $50 - $100 project gun. Today, yeah, probably double that. BUT, if you can locate a good cylinder and a barrel that could be set up similar to what it has - that's one handy looking belly gun!
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

2ndovc wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:44 pm Jim is spot on as usual. You have a $200 paperweight, of spend a couple of bucks on it and make something interesting out of it. Looks like the acceptance marks are already gone, so trying to restore to "original" would be difficult. Even finding the correct grips these days takes a while. I still need a couple sets.

I love the 1917s and military issue Second Model Hand Ejectors, but my favorite to shoot is the .455 Webley second from the left. Even though it's been worked over. That big, heavy slow moving bullet is just fun!

There's a couple of K frames that snuck into that picture. :D
jb 8)
That's a nice collection you've got there! I coming around to liking these guns pretty well. I wish this one was in better shape.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AmBraCol wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:58 pm Sounds like you're going to need at least a cylinder and a barrel to get it up and running proper. After watching JimT's restoration of that old H&R, this one would be a cake walk. :D I'm still stuck in the late 20th Century as for prices, seems like it's a $50 - $100 project gun. Today, yeah, probably double that. BUT, if you can locate a good cylinder and a barrel that could be set up similar to what it has - that's one handy looking belly gun!
Paul, my estimate was closer to yours. About $100 as is for an interesting discussion piece, especially considering the additional detail on the condition. Not sure if it has that much worth in what is left of the original parts. Shame.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Definitely a project gun. But I've worked on much worse.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:32 pm
AmBraCol wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:58 pm Sounds like you're going to need at least a cylinder and a barrel to get it up and running proper. After watching JimT's restoration of that old H&R, this one would be a cake walk. :D I'm still stuck in the late 20th Century as for prices, seems like it's a $50 - $100 project gun. Today, yeah, probably double that. BUT, if you can locate a good cylinder and a barrel that could be set up similar to what it has - that's one handy looking belly gun!
Paul, my estimate was closer to yours. About $100 as is for an interesting discussion piece, especially considering the additional detail on the condition. Not sure if it has that much worth in what is left of the original parts. Shame.
Numrich shows barrels and cylinders out of stock, but if they had them (at the listed prices) you'd be looking at around $400 in parts. Plus $100 for the pistola and whatever the smith wants to join them together. If you can do your own smithing then you're ahead of the game, as long as you don't mind donating your work and calling it "free". So you'd have a gun that'd sell for a bit more than you have in it, perhaps. Granted, I've not paid a whole lot of attention to these poppers, although they're on my "want" list. But most folks who are willing to spend $$$ on one want one in at least matching condition, not easy to pull off with a frame, a cylinder and a barrel from who knows how many different donors.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I too looked at GPC and saw no bbl/ cylinder available.
I bet the cylinder is safe to use as is with low pressure ammo... maybe hard extraction.
A real good wheelgun guy can make you a barrel easily enough, the cylinder is a bit more work.
I would try and find specs for the cylinder, compare it to other S&W models( might find a 45 Colt cylinder could work) and could be easier to find.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!