I have .38 S&W's coming ... thanks everyone .. I appreciate the help.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

I have .38 S&W's coming ... thanks everyone .. I appreciate the help.

Post by JimT »

The following is outdated and is no longer needed ... thank you all!

I would like to have 5 or 10 cartridges .... fired ones would be great. So far I can't find anything online. I can make cut-down .38 Specials but would like a few of the real thing.
Last edited by JimT on Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Re: Anyone have some .38 S&W's they can spare?

Post by Leverluver »

Jim
I've enjoyed the resurrection of the popgun. I know I have at least one box of new casings in my stash, maybe two. They were for a project I dropped almost 40 years ago.
Casings depend on how much hurry you're in. I go in for a shoulder replacement tomorrow so it could be two weeks or more before I could get them sent. If that's too long, just do your 38 special to test and the cases will be waiting for when you need them.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Leverluver wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:03 pm Jim
I've enjoyed the resurrection of the popgun. I know I have at least one box of new casings in my stash, maybe two. They were for a project I dropped almost 40 years ago.
Casings depend on how much hurry you're in. I go in for a shoulder replacement tomorrow so it could be two weeks or more before I could get them sent. If that's too long, just do your 38 special to test and the cases will be waiting for when you need them.
Thank you. I don't need but 5 or 10 .. whatever you can spare. And I am in no hurry. I pray your surgery goes well and you heal up quickly!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

PM me your address, Jim. I can drop some in the mail tomorrow.
NRA Life Member
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Thank you Ted!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

You can get them for $0.22 each from Starline! 500 at a whack, of course. Here to help! Or stir the pot. Or whatever. Yeah, Ted's offer's a better deal by far. :D
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Well….good ole Ted did a proper deed…..before he responded I was getting ready to send 500 rounds of factory fresh stuff. :D No. :D

Jim, I’ve had several of those guns and I know you have too but don’t know if you ever reloaded for it….I’ve always used cut down 38 Spl’s and a 150 gr. 358 cast bullet with whatever Bullseye I used,,,wasn’t much….2.5?……out of a recently sold Colt Police Positive that’s a 98% gun and over a sandbag on a bench it was close to being beer can accurate. I’ve always used a 7” plate at 100 meters and with the rest.(loose rest, nothing fancy) I could hit it 2 out of 6 times with the 4” barrel.

I’ve had a mess of those “suicide specials” and a few of them I shot…..ones in excellent condition…….EXCELLENT……not good……

Then Philly has these gun buy back programs where only suburban white guys show up and a $200 ShopRite Supermarket card for each one turned in was better than the $50-60 dollars they were worth. junk rifles would get $100

One time I walked away with $2200 in cards…..I’d buy the junk at auctions for $10 and make a tidy profit…all legal….—-006 and 2 x 38 or 32 S&W.
Model A Uzi’s
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Yes I have Sixgun. I have a few .38 Specials cut down for some distant past project or other ... and I will use them. I have another thing or two that I can do also. This gun is not the gun to see if you can get .38 Special power. The loads will be light loads of Bullseye or else black powder. And not heavy charges of that! :D
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

JimT, Lee sells a 105gr SWC mold, that might work for light defense loads for you. :wink:
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

JimT, Lee sells a 105gr SWC mold, that might work for light defense loads for you. :wink: Then again, your 45LC would work a LOT better for that job! :)
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Thanks but this is a Light Load Only gun as far as I am concerned. :lol:
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

JimT wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:18 pm I would like to have 5 or 10 cartridges .... fired ones would be great. So far I can't find anything online. I can make cut-down .38 Specials but would like a few of the real thing.
Hey Jim:

I will take a look later tonight; I'll see what I have here.

Will let you know............

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Old No7 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:56 pm Hey Jim:
I will take a look later tonight; I'll see what I have here.
Will let you know............
Old No7
Thank you but I don't really need any more. TedH is sending me some ... I don't need but a few. It ain't gonna get shot that much. I do appreciate the offer though! Thanks again.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: I have .38 S&W's coming ... thanks everyone .. I appreciate the help.

Post by Sixgun »

Jim,
You have done well….look at all the offers……I could have asked for one .22 L.R. fired empty and would have had no responses….but they sure sucked up all of my past offers….and deals…..

But thats also two way….

I have original black powder 38 S&W and I know they will fire and if they don’t you know what to do with them…….let me know whatever else you need and I’ll throw it all in the same box. It’s getting sickening here, boxes and boxes and boxes and boxes of stuff from the turn of the century…the “previous century”……must have 40-50 original tang and receiver sights from Lyman and Marbles, some still new in box with instructions. There’s even a like new Winchester brand tang sight from 1873-1882………some claim one of those will bring what 6 imported guns will bring. :D

Well gotta go Jim…..good ole arrogant me…….or so they say…:D—-006….
Model A Uzi’s
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Thank you Sixgun. I am gonna load some modern black powder loads for the old thing. :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

If you need any more let me know. I have been saving up my empties to reload but haven't acquired any bullets yet. I've got dies etc., just no bullets. I just saw this tonite... I spent yesterday in the shop with my trailer and driving home from New Orleans. Anyway, if you need/want more...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Griff wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:44 pm If you need any more let me know. I have been saving up my empties to reload but haven't acquired any bullets yet. I've got dies etc., just no bullets. I just saw this tonite... I spent yesterday in the shop with my trailer and driving home from New Orleans. Anyway, if you need/want more...
Thanks Griff. Bear Creek Supply has bullets for the .38 S&W. A 200 gr. for standard loads and a 95 gr. RN for old weak top break pistols. I ordered some of the 95 grainers to use in this thing.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JimT wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:47 pmThanks Griff. Bear Creek Supply has bullets for the .38 S&W. A 200 gr. for standard loads and a 95 gr. RN for old weak top break pistols. I ordered some of the 95 grainers to use in this thing.
And thank you, I was going to order a mold, but as much as I shoot this old S&W, I haven't ever seen the benefit. The 95 grainers sound perfect!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

JimT wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:47 pm
Griff wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:44 pm If you need any more let me know. I have been saving up my empties to reload but haven't acquired any bullets yet. I've got dies etc., just no bullets. I just saw this tonite... I spent yesterday in the shop with my trailer and driving home from New Orleans. Anyway, if you need/want more...
Thanks Griff. Bear Creek Supply has bullets for the .38 S&W. A 200 gr. for standard loads and a 95 gr. RN for old weak top break pistols. I ordered some of the 95 grainers to use in this thing.
That's an interesting looking slug. Similar to the reamed out round ball mold type, just a bit longer.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com