Range Day With The Forgotten .22 Single Six

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Range Day With The Forgotten .22 Single Six

Post by JimT »

The wind was blowing today .. gusting to 10/12 mph which did not help with target work. But I weathered the gale and shot the Forgotten Single Six with 6 different kinds of .22's to see how it did. Shooting 20 yards .. resting the barrel and holding as steady as I could in wind. All at 20 yards.

Aguila .22 Long Rifle copper plated hollow point
Aguila.JPG
Remington .22 Long Rifle "Golden Bullet" hollow point
Remington.JPG
CCI .22 Long Rifle "Mini Mag" hollow point
CCI.JPG
The old Single Six will do better but I am not sure I can .... :roll:
IMG_4810.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Range Day With The Forgotten .22 Single Six

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That's a nice -looking early Single Six, Jim. And not bad shooting at all in the wind. I am finding that here in the Big Country, there might be just a couple of days a week with winds less than 10-15 ...
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:50 pm I am finding that here in the Big Country, there might be just a couple of days a week with winds less than 10-15 ...
Early mornings usually. Lately it's been windy day and night.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Those groups look critter unfriendly too me, good shooting Jim.... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I love spending time with a good.22 sixgun. I use a civil war style cap box to keep my ammo clean and handy.

Looking forward to walking my new dog around the ranch with my old Single Six on my hip.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

This reminds me that I have a long neglected Bearcat somewheres that needs care and attention.....
m.A.g.a. !
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Looks like a pretty good shooter.

Along with what Ray said, I've been neglecting my .22s for too long as well.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

I'm pretty fond of those dovetail sight Sixes myself. Do you have the rear sight filed down? Seems to me they usually shoot high.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

2ndovc wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:56 am Looks like a pretty good shooter.

Along with what Ray said, I've been neglecting my .22s for too long as well.

jb 8)
Me three (or four). This is inspirational! :D
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

samsi wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:15 pm I'm pretty fond of those dovetail sight Sixes myself. Do you have the rear sight filed down? Seems to me they usually shoot high.
No. I filed down the front sight a bit to raise the POA at 20/25 yards ... all I did to the rear was widen the notch so I could see the front sight better. I had the Super Single Six front sight installed when I had the barrel cut to 4 5/8". I also installed a Borchardt all steel ejector rod housing on it.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Jim,
You’re an inspiration …you got about 8 years on me and can still shoot to the guns potential….well done pops! I’ve decided to adopt you as my dad……now…

On to business………..

I purposely waited a full day to let other see if they noticed….nuttin at all

Colt stocks on an old model car with Ruger…… :D

I’ve done it also…went to look and take a pic but I couldn’t find the gun….that’s like #4 I can’t find.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Levergunner

Post by 3030 »

WOW, very nice Single-Six JT -- I had a 1958 Old Model SS with a 5 1/2" bbl with no bluing that I bought from my LE Agency for $75.00 (it had a criminal past). I shot that SS twice a month for 8-years, it was a good shooter, I gave it to a good friend when he moved away 5-years ago.

I replaced the SS with a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Light, but I sold it yesterday and bought a new SS Convertible with a 4.6" bbl (the price has really gone up on these, but hey it's only $$$). I really missed shooting the Single-Six. Thanks again JimT for sharing, made my day... :)
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:02 am Colt stocks on an old model car with Ruger…… :D
All my Rugers wear the XR3 gripframe. It is almost a perfect fit for Colt SAA. I grew up on the SAA and that is my favorite feeling grip. The Old Model Rugers are my favorite also. I don't care for the New Model action or feel. The only New Model I have has been extensively reworked to make it where I like it.

I ain't preaching that others should do it. It is my preference and if I have a choice I like it my way. For Me. :lol:
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Thank you 3030! I am enjoying this sixgun after quite a few years. I am glad it inspires others also.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Old model grip frames…………I remember back in the day, they could be had but common sense will tell you that a gun had to “die” to part that out……..so that brings up another chapter in the “School of Hard Knocks”. Can’t remember but it was at least 20 years ago I was handling a flattop that a guy had for sale……the price was right but the “feel” wasn’t……I asked if I could pop off the grips, which were the black eagles and sure enough, the frame was XR3-RED…….

How did I know to do that?……got burnt a few years earlier…

Anyway, I got to find that OM .22 that’s around here…..I call it my “yard gun”……carry it with me when working out back……great for drilling 1/4”holes.I may have left it next to a fence post and 100 years from now some liberal will dig it up and he will make headlines for finding a rare gun that nobody is allowed to own anymore but will be allowed to keep it because it’s no longer works and instead he will sell it to a museum for 10 million dollars.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD