Warmed up the 410

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Warmed up the 410

Post by GunnyMack »

Getting to the end of the season for bird hunting, our supplier is or has run out of pheasants so they are supplanting with chukar.
Parker was in bird nirvana this morning with a dozen chukar and 2 hens to find.
This hen had flew in to the woodline, thick with rose,brambles, barberry and every kind of sharp poking thing you can imagine but Parker dove in and was able to get it into her mouth and delivered it to hand alive and well as we never shot at it.
20230226_112151.jpg
Never found 1 of the hens but we got 11 of the chukars.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Warmed up the 410

Post by 2ndovc »

Very cool!

I haven't bird hunted in forever, should probably fix that. I have a cousin that works for Cesar Guerini and have been obsessing over one of their field grade O/Us for some time. One of these days. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Good For You Gunny!! That's a Great Day. :D .
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

What a grand time 😎
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I know everyone says it, I'd go just to watch the dogs work, such enjoyment seeing a pup find a bird and to watch that pup grow up and mature into a bird machine but I carry a fowling piece as most of the guys i hunt with are terrible shots :lol: !
Can't wait for Parker to come into season so I can breed her and start my next pup come fall!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Gunny, I am just so happy for you that Parker has turned into such a wonderful bird dog.
Of the upland birds I hunted, I preferred to eat a chukar above all the others. Quail not far behind.
When you hunt them in the basalt rimrock and canyon country that feeds into the Snake River, you truly hunt them for revenge after the first outing. :lol:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Thanks Bill! Parker has been snoring all day :lol: .
Yes I have heard that chukar hunters are quite vengeful in their quest to fill a game bag!! Only bird thats more fun to hunt are doves.
They are very good on the plate, it's a toss up between quail and chukar for me. Although ruffled grouse ( partridge) are probably the best. Sadly here there are no grouse or quail and doves are a song bird.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Positively infested with doves in this section: whitewing, mourning and European collared. They sure make a racket before sunrise ... :twisted:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:00 am Positively infested with doves in this section: whitewing, mourning and European collared. They sure make a racket before sunrise ... :twisted:
Time to get yourself a 410!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Great hunting Gunny. 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Thanks Lenn.
This was a couple weeks ago, Parker and I were hunting and she did an amazing job of getting behind this rooster and flushing it out of the hedgerow towards me. Again the 410 spoke, the shot was close , look at its face- or lack of .
20230115_103901.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

A .410 makes perfect sense, over the years I keep coming back to the .410 it's more versatile than a lot of folks think if you do your part.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Wonderful. Thanks for sharing. I have an itch for a nice .410 double but I honestly don’t hunt birds like I did when I was younger. Nostalgia I suppose.
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

I used to hunt chukars along the Snake River gorge in WA State....bumper sticker version is "Chukar hunters= huge thighs and tiny brains!" Some of those places I wished I had worn a parachute!

I love .410s and hunt quail and doves with one. But for WILD chukars in their adopted habitats, you need at least a magnum 20. (Sometimes my hunting companions would mumble about calling in an airstrike or nerve gas....My Marine son sometimes heard chukars while on patrol in Afghanistan. THEIR nasty native land).