Quickload

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Quickload

Post by GunnyMack »

I was just rooting around in the bowels of my loading bench and there is a 1000 count box of 200gr 338 bullets.
I'd like to find a load for my 338 federal, my Lyman cast bullet hand book has the 338 federal listed but I don't have any or much of the powders listed.
700x, Universal and Longshot, Lilgun I have plenty of so if anyone would be kind enough to see if these powders would work behind a 200gr cast I'd really appreciate some data.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Quickload

Post by earlmck »

Well... QL thinks that 24 grains of Lil' Gun would get you 1750 fps for a very nice load if those are gas checked bullets, or drop back to 18 grains for 1400 fps if they are plain base. Pressures 24k psi for the "hot" load or 13k psi for the mild, which is a range I have happily used Lil' gun within with 25/20 and 32/20. Never had any experience with the 338 Federal, so just giving you "book" values. Oh yeah, your velocities might be a scosh higher and pressures a scosh lower than my figures because all QL had in it's repertoire was the 220 grain Lee bullet.

And you could get the same velocities using Universal, 12 or 18 grains, with pressures quite a bit higher, though still well within SAAMI specs.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Quickload

Post by GunnyMack »

Thank you Earl!
I really need to get a QL cd! I kind of figured Lilgun would work but I wasn't sure about Universal.
If memory serves these are plain base but I'll have to actually open the box and make sure.
Most appreciated.
Nope not plain base but indeed a GC bullet.

My 338 Federal is a Ruger 77 Hawkeye, bought it in 2008, sighted it in and went to CO and shot a cow elk 2 hours into the season. It has since sat in the safe( like my 338 win mag, 7x57, .257 A. I. Roberts. I need to work up loads for all of em) of course I've picked the WORST time to get the load development bug!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!