UPDATE .. the old H&R pistol

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

UPDATE .. the old H&R pistol

Post by JimT »

Awhile back I posted on here and on other places that I needed a cylinder hand and a mainspring for the old gun. I found a guy on Ebay selling old H&R parts and bought a cylinder hand from him. Sixgun was kind enough to send me his spare mainspring that he kept for his CCW pistol. Even though it was from a .32 S&W it worked just fine.

I installed the mainspring and then put the trigger group together and put it in the gun and tried the double action pull. It felt mushy but I kept pulling slowly and found out why it felt mushy. The trigger broke off!
21.JPG
So I went back to the guy on Ebay and sure enough, he had a trigger and I bought it. I received it today and this afternoon I went out to the shop and installed it. Once I had it working I decided I wanted to shoot it. I trimmed a .38 Special case to the length of the .38 S&W, primed it and dropped in 1.5 gr. of Bullseye. Then I pushed a 124 gr. Bear Creek 9mm bullet into the case. I did not crimp it. I laid some rags on the tool box and shot it into the rags and recovered the bullet.

I still do not have the single action working. I am looking for a small enough spring that I can make a return spring for the sear. Once that's done all I need to do is put some grips on it. Sixgun sent me a nice set of pearl grips that I can make a pimp gun out of it if I decided to. We shall see.
firing1.JPG
firing2.JPG
firing3.JPG
firing4.JPG
firing5.JPG
firing6.JPG
My nephew who found the gun says that it is now named Lazarus!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: UPDATE .. the old H&R pistol

Post by Grizz »

Outstanding great tale you have going . . .
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Looks fun. And it's got enough horsepower to toss rags around!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jim, looks like the rifling took. Are the grooves .360 or so, as with so many of the old .38s?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:35 pm Jim, looks like the rifling took. Are the grooves .360 or so, as with so many of the old .38s?
The bullet is a 9mm .... .355" ... the barrel seems to be fairly tight for a .38 S&W ....
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Whoa…whoa….whoa there……it’s not from my CCW gun….I don’t have one as I’m not allowed by law….I killed a “pistol packing preacher” some time ago for bad mouthing me and they took my license away……..plus I had to pay a $25 fine…….

Hey, I’m catching up to the Master in “comebacks”….

Jim…….for real, if you need a spring of any kind let me know……I have every type of leaf or coil spring known to man. ….all different lengths, thicknesses and strength…….

You’d be surprised how many guns I got working by using the springs out of Bic lighters.——-006 and 11/32nds
Model A Uzi’s
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

OH BOY! A Bic lighter! I never thought of that one. I will have to check and see. It's a very small diameter spring that I need. But thank you for the offer. I will let you know.

So you can't have a CCW license? Do they know about the RG in your boot? :lol:
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Heck no! I'm 68 years old....a "life sentence" don't mean much anymore... :D

In addition to a box of loose springs, I have another box of new stuff from Wolff......mainsprings for Colt, Smith and a Ruger . trigger return springs, AR15 springs....on and on......if you need one bad I can overnight it...for real...that's what buddies do.

Don't ask for nuttin for that "R" gun...I use them for concrete reinforcement.....

LOVE YOUR BOOKS......That jackalope story really got me..."hooves like razor blades" :D ....and the one about the Mexican druggies........pops was in the hospital but you had to get revenge...you know somethin'? That's me..for real..

3 a.m. and I'm reading and laughing...mom tells me to shut the f up. :D

Model A Uzi’s
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

THANK YOU SIXGUN!!

You said you fixed some guns with a spring from a BIC lighter ... and I have 3 of them sitting on my reloading bench! I ran out to the shop and got my BIC LIGHTER DISASSEMBLY TOOL and sure enough! The correct diameter spring PLUS it's long enough I can make 3 return springs from it! THANKS AGAIN! That was a great tip!
IMG_4894.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Oh yea…..I got one of those tools for getting the springs out of Bic lighters…….I use the same tool for getting springs out of ball point pens and any broken appliance like microwaves, toasters, etc…..For real, I strip everything out of anything that breaks.

I tell ya Jim, you gotta get one of these tools….it’s almost as good as “Ain’t much that can’t be fixed with a little determination and a 30 ought six….

Model A Uzi’s
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Ha! That looks like my tool! :D
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

You guys are just the best, true tinkerer's, men of my own heart :lol: 8)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Nath wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:04 pm You guys are just the best, true tinkerer's, men of my own heart :lol: 8)

You got that right Nath…in THIS life it can end in a seconds notice…..I figure dead is forever so party on dudes!…..and leave the idiots on another planet.
Model A Uzi’s
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:38 pm
Nath wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:04 pm You guys are just the best, true tinkerer's, men of my own heart :lol: 8)

You got that right Nath…in THIS life it can end in a seconds notice…..I figure dead is forever so party on dudes!…..and leave the idiots on another planet.
:lol: you'll be back, mark my words!

That aside I've used lighters springs but can't remember on what....another tip talking springs, cz 452 family triggers can be creepy. Get the right size coil spring to slip over the appropriate pin, you'll have to work it out and you lose some sear engagement but can retain the standard spring to have a safe trigger. Obviously test first.
Pay me later :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I hope not Nath….would not want to do it again. As the animals which we are in the truest sense of definition, it’s not normal for us to have a job, drive cars, etc..blah…blah…..life is stressful and while I’m not the brightest light bulb in the room, I feel for people who do not have the smarts to navigate in a so called “civilized” world……I’m not laughing
Model A Uzi’s
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:05 pm I hope not Nath….would not want to do it again. As the animals which we are in the truest sense of definition, it’s not normal for us to have a job, drive cars, etc..blah…blah…..life is stressful and while I’m not the brightest light bulb in the room, I feel for people who do not have the smarts to navigate in a so called “civilized” world……I’m not laughing
👍🏻✌️🙂
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!