Good gun show this morning

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Good gun show this morning

Post by 2ndovc »

The little shows are hit and miss around here, but had some luck this morning. I traded an older, large frame Vaquero in .45 Colt that I just couldn't get a good group out of for this stainless .44 Special. There's hardly a spot on it, inside or out. Don't think it's been fired since it left the factory. One of the Lipsey's special runs from a few years ago.

Also picked up three magazines for my CHP .40 S&W for $25. The guy said he's had them on his table for years and wanted to get rid of them.

A good day all around. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Good gun show this morning

Post by ollogger »

After having 8 45 Colt in the Ruger Vaquero or blackhawk, i think you made a very good trade!
Any other Ruger ive had or have now would & will shoot very good, from 22 - 454, i gave up on the 45 Colt :cry:

ollogger
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I have a Bisley Blackhawk convertible .45 that shoots .45 Colt really well, but it's the first one I've had that does. My .44s have been far more accurate. Either way, I just like it better anyway. I was eyeballing a set of stag grips for it this afternoon. Need to behave, but it probably won't happen. :shock:

jb 8)

AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

ollogger wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:43 pm After having 8 45 Colt in the Ruger Vaquero or blackhawk, i think you made a very good trade!
Any other Ruger ive had or have now would & will shoot very good, from 22 - 454, i gave up on the 45 Colt :cry:

ollogger
Interesting. Caz gifted me a Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt way back at the beginning of the 21st Century. It had been gone through by Milt Morrison and was slicked up and finished beautifully. I shot it first at Taffin's range out in Idaho, took it to Shapel's and had their 'smith turn the barrel in slightly to get it centered and went on my merry way - but couldn't get it to group well with my loads. Out in Nebraska I asked a good friend to give it a try when we were shooting at the range there and he got one tiny little cluster dead center on the target. He was the state champion of the state of Pará years before, by the way, so I knew he could shoot - and so I knew the pistol could too. So I went to working on tightening up the nut that gripped the grippystockhandlethingies 'til it quit anticipating the recoil so much. Anyway, that one could shoot - and still does. I don't recall what all was done to it, but a Taylor Throat job was part of the package deal, along with a Belt Mountain base pin. I've NO idea how it shot before Milt did his work on it, but it's a honey now.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

So I trade off a revolver that doesn't group any better at 25 yds than seven inches, or spent $1000 or more to make it do what it should have from the factory? I've only had three Rugers in .45 Colt, one of the three shoots well. Like Olloger said, all the other Rugers in several different calibers I have shoot well. A couple of them shoot extremely well and both are .44 Magnum. It had some issues that needed to be straightened out, but I didn't like the gun well enough to put the money into it. It was rare enough to trade it straight up for the .44 Spl. that I do like, that's out of production and who knows if we'll see any more or not.
I know one thing, if it was me that couldn't shoot, the same would be true with all of my handguns.

jb 8)

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sounds like a great gun show day Jason. Looking forward to the range report on your new score! :D