Another So. VT "Primitive Biathlon"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Another So. VT "Primitive Biathlon"

Post by Old No7 »

Yup, I did it again...

I missed this event in 2021 (Covid, not held) and 2022 (was busy), and my twin really wanted me to attend again this year -- so I did. As a refresher, this event is usually run on wood & rawhide snowshoes, timed, with stops at 4 stations along the course to engage steel swingers with blackpowder firearms. There's always a good mix of flinch-locks and percussion, with some single-shot pistols. Since we did the Woods Walk, which is not a timed event, I was allowed to use a revolver this year -- single-loaded only. Again, I got out my Union Infantry Master Sgt uniform (not 100% authentic, but I'm not a reenactor). I just tag along to spend a weekend in Vermont with my twin and his group of friends; I'm not into the French & Indian War era stuff like they are, but I do like to shoot BP when I can. You could only find as-good camaraderie on here or at any shooting range, as everyone was friendly and helpful, even though it was a competition. Great folks all around.

Unlike 2020 when I shot a Zoli .58 Zouave, I'd sold that off; and with my cataract getting worse in the right eye, this year I used my Ruger Old Army (.457 ball). No, it's not authentic to any one cap 'n ball design, but I figured the adjustable sights would help me out -- not! Turns out most of the targets were 40 to 49 yards out, and I didn't get any practice in at those ranges. But I still had fun. The Old Army fit into the black right-side/reverse-draw holster I had for my 1861 Navy, and I also wore my late father's real 1864-dated Mansfield & Lamb cavalry saber. That was cool! The best part was all the kids from ages 4 to teens to 30-year olds who wanted to see or handle it. It was great to see all the youngsters and many women attending this awesome event.

Here's a pix of my twin and I -- he's shooting a French smoothbore in .60 caliber:

( Click any image to enlarge )
03 med.jpg

Here's me on the line with the Old Army:
(Check out his Badger Hat -- man, he loves that thing!)
05a med.jpg

A good shot of my firing the Old Army:
07 med.jpg

Then just for fun, some guy grabbed two replica Colts that were for sale on a nearby table and he asked me to hold them up. He said he'd send it to his friends saying I was "Going out after the outlaw Josey Wales"! (Wait a second -- I've seen that movie -- I know how that ends for the blue bellies!)
04 med.jpg
Anyhow, it was a lot of fun, but I can't wait to get my "new eyes" so I can see and hit something next year!

Cheers!

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Another So. VT "Primitive Biathlon"

Post by JBowen »

Great fun, great firearms and great pictures!

Thanks for sharing
JBowen
Swagman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Swagman »

Looks like a great event!, thanks for the post.

Here is a photo of myself at a gathering at Lithgow, NSW a few years back, it was a speed shooting event hence I am shooting holding my ramrod. A bit warmer than the Primitive Biathlon, it was around 100F on the range!

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Now that looks like FUN...

"...The best part was all the kids from ages 4 to teens to 30-year olds who wanted to see or handle it. It was great to see all the youngsters and many women attending this awesome event..."

THAT is even better; gotta involve and educate the future shooters.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JRD
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JRD »

Looks like a good time. I'd like to try something like that myself.

The Mansfield & Lamb saber is a personal favorite of mine. They were a company in Forestdale, Rhode Island that reportedly made farm implements such as sickles and scythes and were given a contract to make cavalry sabers during the war. Forestdale is a village in my hometown. I always think of those sabers when I drive by the spot where their mill is said to have stood.

I've got one of those sabers and enjoy showing it to people and asking them to read the markings- then watching as the light goes on when they realize it was made in town.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That's what I would call "fantastic" fun :D glad you and your twin brother got together for this years shoot...... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

JRD wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:57 am I've got one of those sabers and enjoy showing it to people and asking them to read the markings- then watching as the light goes on when they realize it was made in town.
Thanks for your comments and that info!

I was incorrectly told it was made in "Mansfield" Mass, but never did any research on it. And now, I know "the rest of the story".

My twin just sent me the B&W image below; it shows the saber really well. I don't think they'd wear the gold knot in combat, using it for dress parades or special events -- but nobody was shooting back at me that day! :o

Old No7

09b.jpg
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

Most excellent!

Old No7 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:49 pm
here's a pix of my twin and I --
which one is you? ;)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Looks like fun! But... BRRR!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Outstanding pictures love the write up. Way to hook the young ones!👍👍👍👍
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Glad you had fun.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old No7 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:49 pm The Old Army fit into the black right-side/reverse-draw holster I had for my 1861 Navy, and I also wore my late father's real 1864-dated Mansfield & Lamb cavalry saber.
So cool Darryl! 8) 8) 8)

That type of holster was often referred to as a "cavalry twist" holster, given how the pistols were drawn. I think the theory was that it was a retention holster, especially for those on horseback, and not built for speed. If push came to shove, the pistol could be withdrawn with the off hand.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Wonderful post, Old No. 7. Man, that air looks so cold my ears are stinging just thinking about it.
Your brother's outfit looks to be very well thought-out and authentic. Is he wearing French Canadian "Solier de Boeufs" on his feet? Also liking that fishtail-ish stock on his smoothbore.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:55 am Your brother's outfit looks to be very well thought-out and authentic. Is he wearing French Canadian "Solier de Boeufs" on his feet? Also liking that fishtail-ish stock on his smoothbore.
Thanks Bill, my twin has worked hard on his outfit -- or what my daughter calls: "Dress up for grown men...". ( :? Groan... :roll: ) and his growing collection of blackpowder rifles (including the flintlock grenade launcher I'd posted about months ago).

Here's what he says about the gun:
"I was shooting a 1630s English Lock Fishtail Musket, .75 caliber with a 48" barrel, that weighs 8 pounds. Made from Rifle Shoppe parts that were cast from originals. That lock followed the snaphaunce in lock evolution (the snaphaunce and English locks have a horizontal sear); which evolved to the doglock, and eventually to the French-style flintlock (the doglock and later flintlocks have a vertical sear)."

As for his footwear:
"Yes, those are copies of early French 'Soulier de Bouefs', with moose hide soles, elk hide uppers & wraps, and fully lined with real shearling. In PA deer hunting one year, it was 8 degrees out in the morning and never topped 14; I stayed out all day and my feet never got cold."

Thanks for your interest.

Edit to add...
I can't see myself in a badger hat -- ever! I'll continue to wear the kepi and carry the sword. :wink:

Old No7
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Darryl, we could arrange for a skunkskin cap without much effort, as the poor critters are throwing themselves under motor vehicles at an alarming rate just now in Texas. Coonskin is probably out. From the Boone Society Web site:
“My father, Daniel Boone, always despised the raccoon fur caps and did not wear one himself, as he always had a hat.”
— Nathan Boone, My Father, Daniel Boone, The Draper Interviews with Nathan Boone

Prolly best just hang on to that fine kepi, relax and take a couple of fingers neat, but with a drop of stump water to open the nose ... :lol: