Pennsylvania deer season

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Pennsylvania deer season

Post by AJMD429 »

https://www.outdoornews.com/2023/02/10/ ... nt-change/

Hadn't heard about this controversy....
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
castcat
Levergunner

Re: Pennsylvania deer season

Post by castcat »

yes having a hunting camp in pa. is not the same anymore , you leave family after Thanksgiving dinner and head camp or open camp on Friday and get to bed to hunt Saturday morning
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

As far as I’m concerned the best days for hunting upstate ended at least 20 years ago. It’s tradition….like castcat says, leaving on Thursday, open camp on Friday, maybe hunt grouse or scout on Saturday, drink all day Sunday and head out to the woods on Monday. My dad and I and a few others had a camp in Centre County and the best time of the year was opening day…on Monday…..

Then the trees grew up from the logging boom that extended into the 40’s, hillbillies poaching all year, and affluence among regular people ended that great era. Then the Game Commission allowed doe hunting on opening day and there wasn’t 5 deer in each square mile.

The deer ran like hell south as fast as they could which hurt the northern economy so the GC, in their infinite wisdom opened buck season on Saturday . Around here in Delaware County they are like rabbits, eating right up to your windows…..

Taken last week

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I hunted northeast PA for 5 or 6 years , Monroe Pike and Wayne counties . Would come up and do the first week . But for me it wasn’t about killing the deer it was more about hanging around with a bunch of guys I’d met on the Eastern Shore of MD a few years earlier . And as stated I’d leave VA on Thanksgiving day after eating with the family and stay in PA about ten days . I’d usually get a deer or two as I always applied for one or two doe tags . Never will forget the year they decided to have antler restrictions , my friends read me the riot act about making sure if I shot a buck that it had three points on one side . So first morning I trudged out in the snow to a pre determined stand site , hung my stand and waited about sixty minutes after first light . Decent eight point came by shot a 300 SAUM one time gutted the deer slid him out in the snow along with my treestand etc . Got to the graded snowmobile path and loaded the deer and all the other stuff in my Vermont Cart and walked out . After loading the truck I drove back to the cabin when I pulled in it was 9:15 AM . Later that afternoon I was sitting in the cabin watching my buddy sitting on a rock smoking a cigar waiting for deer , then I’d walk to the other side the cabin and watch the herd of deer waiting to cross the road . Finally they met and he shot , I didn’t see if he hit or not and eventually he walked down muttering to himself . I asked if he’d missed and he said no he hit , so I said and ? Told me he he picked the biggest doe and dumped her . Walked over and then noticed a pair of spikes barely as tall as the ears . So off to the bunny warden we went for him to pay $20 restitution and cut the spikes off to give to the DNR .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Don’t they realize that just because the season comes in on Saturday that they aren’t obligated to hunt then? Sounds like they just don’t want other people to be able to hunt when they don’t want to.