The Whitney-Laidley Rolling Block Safety Rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

The Whitney-Laidley Rolling Block Safety Rifle

Post by marlinman93 »

Had to dig this one out of the safe so I could answer a question about how they reassemble for a guy. I bought this a decade ago at the Reno gun show, and was very excited to find a 1st Model Whitney-Laidley Rolling Block. They were only made one decade starting in 1871, to 1881, and are the safest Rolling Block version ever made!
Whitney purchased the 1866 patent from Laidley and Emery in 1870, and put it into production the next year. But the mechanism was complicated, and expensive to produce, so Remington outsold Whitney. The design allows the Whitney's 3 piece hammer to let the shooter put the hammer in half cock, and open the breech block to load. So unlike the Remington that goes to full cock, the Whitney doesn't need to lower the hammer after loading, and can't drop the hammer by accident when closing the block.
This one is in .45-70 and has an excellent bore. The .45-70 in these guns didn't get offered until around 1874, so mid production, or later. It has a carbine style ladder sight, and a sporting graduated tang sight also. One of my favorite Rolling Block rifles.

As for reassembly....it ended up taking me 5 or 6 tries to get it assembled, and actually functional! I thought after taking it apart reassembly would be no problem. I found it locked up each time, until I finally realized the dual springs stacked on the lower tang for the hammer and cam need to be the last thing to install. After that it was back to working great again.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Ysabel Kid

Re: The Whitney-Laidley Rolling Block Safety Rifle

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Beautiful! 8)
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:51 pm Beautiful! 8)
Thanks!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I learn something every day, I did not know about the Whitney-Laidley rifle. Thanks for posting.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

It's a wonderful example, Vall. Your collection never ceases to amaze!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Thanks! I haven't had this one out of the safe I keep my Remingtons in for quite awhile. Almost forgot about it until I needed to break it down to help someone. I really need to get it back to the range as it's a great shooting Roller too.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Another Whitney I didnt know about. Thanks.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Incredible collection, Vall! Beautiful rifle.....thanks!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Walt wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:15 pm Incredible collection, Vall! Beautiful rifle.....thanks!
Thanks! I wish this had been a better seller, as there'd be more of them around. It is such a huge improvement to the Rolling Block design, but as usual cost dictates acceptance by most manufacturers. Even back in the 1870's! Eventually Whitney dropped it and also gave in to making their 2nd model Rolling Block the same design as Remington.