Arm Brace Trap

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Arm Brace Trap

Post by jkbrea »

I didn't put this in politics because it may apply to several members and potentially make you a felon. Gun Owners of America made this video at ShotShow. What it boils down to is if you have a pistol with an arm brace, it is going to be classified as a short barreled rifle,(SBR). You have 120 days to apply for a free tax stamp to make it an SBR. Sound good?You send in your name, address, gun pics and your ID. BUT....any application not processed in 88 days is automatically denied. Now you have an illegal firearm and need to turn it in. No way on earth they can process tens of millions of these. These are the same people that take over a year to clear a suppressor. The GOA guy asked ATF what would happen if after an application is denied, the owner did not turn it in. She answered enforcement action would take place. Unfrigginbelievable! Click on the link to hear GOA explain it.
https://youtu.be/DggOmUXxVWY
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Re: Arm Brace Trap

Post by wvfarrier »

Also, if you own a 922 class "pistol" under this ruling it must be turned in or destroyed
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I think the best advice right now is to hold for a bit and see if the challenges result in a stay or reversal. Hoping some sane judge slaps an injection on this.

The ATF is baiting people into registering these with the promise to waive the $200 tax stamp. Either they won't approve them in 88 days, or if they do, they now have "the list". We know what they will do with that list later.

So, if no challenge works, then removing the brace altogether is a possibility, but I'm not convinced this will still comply with the new code. If the lower was a multi, one could reconfigure it into a rifle and call it a day. I don't think you can do this with a firearm bought as a pistol, but I'm not sure. Therein lies a major part of the problem; no one can really understand this 293-page monstrosity, nor the calculation in the form 4999. That alone warrants an injunction against implementation of the new code.

Write your congress-critter. E-mail them. Call them. Flood their offices.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

i have pistols WITHOUT braces . . . . how's that addressed?
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

wvfarrier wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:37 pm Also, if you own a 922 class "pistol" under this ruling it must be turned in or destroyed
what is a 922 class pistol?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Since it’s obvious that the organization is creating a ‘solution’ for something that is not a problem, (crime due to SBR’s owned by law-abiding individuals - the only ones who would register them, by definition) they will continue to create progressively more strict ‘solutions’ until they solve what they consider the problem which is that citizens own firearms, of ANY type.

All you have to do is look at other nations and even certain states within the United States, and it’s pretty clear that is their agenda.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:26 pm ..... Either they won't approve them in 88 days, or if they do, they now have "the list". We know what they will do with that list later. ...

Our promised 60 days for electronic Form 4s for suppressors is more like 310 days :roll: And instead of getting better, that time frame seems to be getting longer and longer
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

As well if you live in "non NFA" state you'd be violating state law to comply with Federal law... that isn't really law.
Slow is just slow.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Grizz wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:50 pm
wvfarrier wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:37 pm Also, if you own a 922 class "pistol" under this ruling it must be turned in or destroyed
what is a 922 class pistol?
Its firearms made in foreign countries. They are required to have a certain number of US made parts in them. The stock or brace counts as a part. They become illegal without them and are subject to confiscation and destruction
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Another trap: Currently to legally build an SBR you must submit your request for registration BEFEORE YOU ASSEMBLE THE GUN. Note that in applying for the permit to reclassify your pistol as an SBR you are required to SUBMIT A PHOTO OF THE PISTOL. In other words, they are requiring you to provide them with self-incriminating prima facie evidence that you own an illegal SBR.

Not me, thanks. There is a fifth amendment, ya know...
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Let’s be careful guys.

The regulation says that these are ALREADY classified as Short Barreled Rifles.

So if you own one right now, you are already in violation of the NFA.

Our government has too much money and power.

There’s no grandfathering in this regulation. This is a regulatory taking of private property without due process in violation of the 5th Amendment

The Constitution specifically states “nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.”
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:00 am Let’s be careful guys.

The regulation says that these are ALREADY classified as Short Barreled Rifles.

So if you own one right now, you are already in violation of the NFA.

Our government has too much money and power.

There’s no grandfathering in this regulation. This is a regulatory taking of private property without due process in violation of the 5th Amendment

The Constitution specifically states “nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.”
+1
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I don’t see how they were ever NFA compliant. If You cut the barrel of your rifle to 10 inches you have a SBR. Put a buttstock on a Contender with a pistol barrel-SBR. That’s why trappers, UZI, MP5, AR, AK, etc carbines for U.S. civilians have barrels of least 16 inches. I never saw how making a AR “pistol” and sticking a buttpad on it and calling it a forearm stabilizing brace isn’t the same thing. It’s a rifle in appearance and operation even if your brace isn’t an optimal LOP.

I get that they were interpreted as exempted from NFA and are very popular. However per NFA they have been illegal about 88 years, without registration that is. I always felt it was a matter of time. I think amending or revoking NFA is the only lasting legal shot at owning these rifles made into huge pistols and then into some weirdly stocked carbines. At least then you can get or make them as you wish without going through these naming semantics.

I’m not sure those short “AOWs” that fire shot shells won’t be called shotguns eventually either.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

OK. I'll trade my American pistols for micro dracos straight across. that should make everyone happy, right?

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Grizz is on the right track here.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Got a question, does anyone make a brace for HANDGUNS? Such as Glocks or 1911s?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

1894cfan wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:06 pm Got a question, does anyone make a brace for HANDGUNS? Such as Glocks or 1911s?
Kind of intermediate between Glocks and AR-15's, but they make them for the Ruger 'Charger' pistols in 22LR and 9mm. They attach via short 1913 rail sections on the posterior of the factory 9mm stock or various 22LR aftermarket replacement stocks.

https://enoch-industries.com/product/de ... is-system/

It turns either pistol into a really compact firearm one could use for everything from home protection to backpacking, especially if you add an integrally suppressed barrel.

1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Thanks, AJ. At least somebody makes an armbrace for something other than an AR. Does the AR armbrace thing effect these as well?