6.5 Needmoor vs .243 Win.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
WCG
Levergunner

6.5 Needmoor vs .243 Win.

Post by WCG »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 6.5 Needmoor vs .243 Win.

Post by 6pt-sika »

The Crudmoor is a solution to a problem that didn’t exist ! It’s no great secret I’m a big fan of the 260 REM , and in practical application the two cartridges are one in the same . I’ve owned a bunch of 260’s since the legitimization of the cartridge . I’ve also killed a huge amount of deer with the cartridge . A lot of folks want to seat long Olive bullets out further to closer to the lands and grooves as well as leaving more room more powder inside the case . To do all that you need to build the rifle on a single shot IE Ruger #1 type rifle or build a bolt action with a long action . The initial idea behind the 308 family of cartridges was to use a smaller slightly lighter and shorter action. To me building a Crudmoor or a 243/260 on a long action defeats the purpose . If I want a 6mm or 6.5mm in a bolt action on a long action I’ll build a 6mm-06 or a 6.5-06 ! But oh wait just a minute I’ve already built both . The Crudmoor while a fine cartridge will never be amongst my accumulation of necessary and unnecessary rifles .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

6pt-sika wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:34 am The Crudmoor is a solution to a problem that didn’t exist ! It’s no great secret I’m a big fan of the 260 REM , and in practical application the two cartridges are one in the same . I’ve owned a bunch of 260’s since the legitimization of the cartridge . I’ve also killed a huge amount of deer with the cartridge . A lot of folks want to seat long Olive bullets out further to closer to the lands and grooves as well as leaving more room more powder inside the case . To do all that you need to build the rifle on a single shot IE Ruger #1 type rifle or build a bolt action with a long action . The initial idea behind the 308 family of cartridges was to use a smaller slightly lighter and shorter action. To me building a Crudmoor or a 243/260 on a long action defeats the purpose . If I want a 6mm or 6.5mm in a bolt action on a long action I’ll build a 6mm-06 or a 6.5-06 ! But oh wait just a minute I’ve already built both . The Crudmoor while a fine cartridge will never be amongst my accumulation of necessary and unnecessary rifles .
Yup, just something new that is similar to something that is old!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

My Son in-law bought an inexpensive Savage in 6.5 Creedmoor two years ago. He doesn't reload. It must be pretty popular as the local wally world and farm store always have ammo for it. We sighted it in at 100yds with the Hornady 143grn vld ammo , it shoots little bitty groups and Paul is thrilled with the Gun. I soaked an old bluebook of gun values in the creek overnight (about 4" thick) and He shot several types of ammo at it. He never has shot much and the look on His face at the wound channels was priceless. Low recoil easy to shoot. I can see why it has caught on.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

6.5 Creedmoor offers nothing new in the hunting fields. It’s popular though which means availability and development. Well designed for long range applications. I would take it over 243 any day for anything over about 80 pounds just on the virtue of bullet weight. But if you have a 6.5x55, 260, 270, 7mm-08 or anything similar you have it covered. I have all those except 260 and I have a CM. But I don’t think it’s better than any of the rest or 308 for that matter
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Just my experience. A good .270 with 140 grain bullets seems to be as accurate as one could hope to get. I tried the 140 grain bullets, and my rifle loves them. 130 and 150 are nothing to complain about. Dime sized 100 yard groups with either one are the rule for my model 700, but the 140s are half that. I have never had any problem with components. If the Creedmore can do any better, I don't care because I cannot do any better. Why should I jump on the bandwagon when something I already have is just as good? Maybe even better. Never having shot a .260, 25-06, or a 7x57, I cannot say much. The 7mm08 is no slouch when it comes to accuracy. PillHer has one, and it has a mild recoil. My Daughter started with a .243, and she only went to a 30-06 for an elk. That .243 with 100 grain CoreLokt bullets was deadly on deer and pigs. Accuracy, recoil, and ability to get a clean kill as far as she could see were all perfectly matched for her. Her eyesight is better than normal.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Well...I hunt elk with a 45-70 or 30-06. In my opinion, that's a little much for antelope. I bought a Savage .308 for antelope but could not get consistent small groups. I don't reload so I tried several different rounds. So I sold it and bought a Sig Cross in 6.5 CM. I shot Sako TRG 136 gr, Hornady 140 ELD M, and Hornady Hunter Precision 143 gr. All of them are shooting one hole groups under half inch! It almost feels like cheating. I'm the R/0 here and see every imaginable hunting cartridge. Several people have taken bull elk and moose with the 6.5 CM. Personally I wouldn't. Mine is just for antelope and shooting tiny holes at long range. My best is 2790 yards on 24" plate.
I envy guys like 6pt-sitka that can load up and experiment with their favorite rifle.. Wish I had the room to set up and learn. I sure do have the brass! Almost everyone here leaves their brass.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I was told when I became of legal age to buy guns to pick a caliber and get it in whatever flavor ya want. Next gun go up or down in caliber and so on until you have everything you want. I have lived by that ideal, I've got .17 Remington to .450 Bushmaster and everything in in between.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

A couple years ago the wife -a week before season- says "I want my own rifle to shoot my own deer". Scrambling (during Covid) to find a Youth 7mm-08 for the petite lady of my life the only option was an Savage Axis 6.5 CM. The only good thing hunting wise to come out of that season was the rifle. While she never took a shot that season, hunting with her before and since, has always been enjoyable. The frustrating hunting,shooting parts was all the simple, automatic things and actions we as hunters do that a non hunter has to learn. Of course we had to learn them at first also. She had been hunting with be for years but always as an observer. A long way around the bush to say I have a 6.5 CM by default. That being said this rifle is the most accurate out of the box I've ever seen. It stays. What I'll use it for remains to be seen.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

.45colt wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:26 am My Son in-law bought an inexpensive Savage in 6.5 Creedmoor two years ago. He doesn't reload. It must be pretty popular as the local wally world and farm store always have ammo for it. We sighted it in at 100yds with the Hornady 143grn vld ammo , it shoots little bitty groups and Paul is thrilled with the Gun. I soaked an old bluebook of gun values in the creek overnight (about 4" thick) and He shot several types of ammo at it. He never has shot much and the look on His face at the wound channels was priceless. Low recoil easy to shoot. I can see why it has caught on.
The availability is the new standard operating procedure.
They come out with a new cartridge, hype the living daylight out of it, then that's all they load ammo for for the first two years. Same with 350 Legend. It's always on the shelves. Then half the people buy them simply because there is ammo for them. I think it has less to do with popularity than a strategy. "Maybe if folks can't get ammo for gramps 30-30, they'll buy one of these."
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Let me clarify a bit while I don’t specifically have anything against the Crudmoor I kinda take exception to some of the expert FB/Google wanna be snipers that come in the shop making declarations about the cartridge doing this or that . And if I can stand talking to them after awhile it becomes obvious that all their info/experience came from the net . I’ve shot a bunch of Savage LRP’s in the Crudmoor and all did extremely well , but they did no better than an LRP I used to own in 260 or the Remington 700 5R HB I have now that’s also in 260 . The Crudmoor isn’t the only cartridge that gets escalated BS opinions the 6.5 Grendel gets the same stuff , mostly about how far a shot was made on this or that . Seems a good many people have lost the idea that a deer or elk is a living thing and not a piece of steel . Shoot steel by all means at a mile if it floats your boat , but living animals give them a little respect and GET CLOSER . If you’re 300 or more yards away I’m pretty sure you can most certainly get closer , but the TV hunting/shooting shows make Joe Blowhard think if he buys a such and such rifle with this huge scope and plug it in to their laptop they can darn near shoot from state to state . Certainly far from the truth . I blame the TV bull s..h..I..t..t..e..r..s for this .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

OldWin wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:18 pm
.45colt wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:26 am My Son in-law bought an inexpensive Savage in 6.5 Creedmoor two years ago. He doesn't reload. It must be pretty popular as the local wally world and farm store always have ammo for it. We sighted it in at 100yds with the Hornady 143grn vld ammo , it shoots little bitty groups and Paul is thrilled with the Gun. I soaked an old bluebook of gun values in the creek overnight (about 4" thick) and He shot several types of ammo at it. He never has shot much and the look on His face at the wound channels was priceless. Low recoil easy to shoot. I can see why it has caught on.
They come out with a new cartridge, hype the living daylight out of it, then that's all they load ammo for for the first two years. Same with 350 Legend. It's always on the shelves. Then half the people buy them simply because there is ammo for them. I think it has less to do with popularity than a strategy. "Maybe if folks can't get ammo for gramps 30-30, they'll buy one of these."
If one reloads and saw far enough ahead what was happening with components this is a moot point . And yes I was stocking up when thatJack o Lantern the Obamite was you guys president . I never called him president but I called him plenty of other things . A true Jack a..s..s if there ever was one .
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

6pt-sika wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:32 pm
OldWin wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:18 pm
If one reloads and saw far enough ahead what was happening with components this is a moot point . And yes I was stocking up when thatJack o Lantern the Obamite was you guys president . I never called him president but I called him plenty of other things . A true Jack a..s..s if there ever was one .
Absolutely, that's why I have plenty for my firearms.
The point I was trying to make is that in spite of all these shortages, there seems to be plenty of ammunition available for these new cartridges they are trying to push.
It's much easier to sell new guns when thise are the only ones the bulk of the population can get ammo for.
Most firearms owners and hunters don't handload. They are relegated to what they can find.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.