Recently.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Recently.....

Post by Ray »

an acquaintance desired a 9x19mm carbine but wanted it to look like a real gun so I suggested a Ruger PC and that is what he bought. That got me to thinking and I began digging about in the raycave and dug out this.....
IMG_20230113_141449397~2.jpg
It stayed so long neglected that the stock turned green :D

So I took it apart to clean it and replaced the shock buffer and factory recoil spring. The only negatives to me are, it seems heavy for what it is and it has a magazine disconnect safety.

Here is an excellent review by the late mister quinn.....

https://www.gunblast.com/Marlin-Camp9.htm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
m.A.g.a. !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Recently.....

Post by AJMD429 »

I don't think mine in 45 ACP had a magazine safety; that's interesting. Maybe it did. Took 1911 single-stack mags.

One of the folding-stock companies made a nice folder for it so it could be used as a 'camp carbine'.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Carbines in 9mm never interested me much, but the shooters at our range had a lot of fun with their Kel-Tecs SUB 2000s.
I had forgotten about the Marlin -- and yet I remember their bolt-action "Goose Gun" clear as day ...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The new Ruger is heavy for what it is intended to be. If they could cut the weight, then it would be great. 9mm out of a carbine is not a powerful round, but it is probably enough for anything where there are not any bears.
Ray, that looks like a fun rifle to plink with.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

piller wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:50 am The new Ruger is heavy for what it is intended to be. If they could cut the weight, then it would be great. 9mm out of a carbine is not a powerful round, but it is probably enough for anything where there are not any bears.
Ray, that looks like a fun rifle to plink with.
When I bought the camp carbine from a co-worker I knew exactly what was wrong with it.....original shock buffer decayed and disintegrated due to use of those flush type spray solvents which are harsh on most plastics and stock finishes. However, all the replacement buffers were out of stock. So I reassembled the frame parts and locked back the bolt and filled the recess aft of the bolt with hot glue to act as a buffer.

Another co-worker found interest in the project and asked to borrow it to kill a deer. Seems he was absolutely allergic to recoil and muzzle blast. He still lived with his parents despite his age in one of those high-falluting country club subdivisions adjacent to a golf course and they had a deer problem. So he began feeding them and as they followed the trail of feed closer and closer to the house, he gradually acclimated them to the sound of his raising the bathroom window of his basement apartment. Eventually, after many attempts, there came the day when everything came together and he put the red dot on a fat doe's neck and dropped her with a single factory speer 124 gr. gold dot at about 20 paces.
m.A.g.a. !
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I bought one of the new PC9 carbines to replace an original model I'd bought when they came out. I really liked the original, but magazines were sometimes and issue. I have the adapter for using Glock mags in the new one and have had zero reliability issues with it. It's quite accurate as well. May be a bit on the heavy side, but nothing compared to my MPX. The Sig has the edge on accuracy and "cool" factor, but the PC9 far cheaper and would fill the same roll just as well. I don't shoot the PC much though, and I'm thinking I'll give it to one of the boys this spring for a birthday present.

I still wouldn't mind one of the Kel-tecs in .40 S&W to try out. I have a G23 stashed in a pack pack in my company wheels, I'm thinking one of the K-Ts would fold up nicely in the same pack.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

2ndovc wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:24 pm I bought one of the new PC9 carbines to replace an original model I'd bought when they came out. I really liked the original, but magazines were sometimes and issue. I have the adapter for using Glock mags in the new one and have had zero reliability issues with it. It's quite accurate as well. May be a bit on the heavy side, but nothing compared to my MPX. The Sig has the edge on accuracy and "cool" factor, but the PC9 far cheaper and would fill the same roll just as well. I don't shoot the PC much though, and I'm thinking I'll give it to one of the boys this spring for a birthday present.

I still wouldn't mind one of the Kel-tecs in .40 S&W to try out.
I have a G23 stashed in a pack pack in my company wheels, I'm thinking one of the K-Ts would fold up nicely in the same pack.

jb 8)
IMG_20191215_170230_kindlephoto-134637198.jpg
Yes, adding the scope negates the handy foldability.

I poetically call it the butt-ugly thirty eight forty since it has comparable .38 w.c.f. ballistics.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
m.A.g.a. !
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I have one marked on my GB watch list. Just haven't "pulled the trigger".
Still think it would be a useful little carbine.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Out of a 16 inch barrel, the .40 S&W and the 38-40 have respectable velocity and power. Out of a handgun they are not anything I want to get hit by, but a few hundred fps increase from their handgun velocities does step it up into a different category. If it were all I had with me in a survival situation, I would be confident that the Kel-Tec in .40S&W could easily take a deer at 50 yards or more. The 38-40 out of a carbine has probably killed more deer than many people would believe.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

piller wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:38 pm Out of a 16 inch barrel, the .40 S&W and the 38-40 have respectable velocity and power. Out of a handgun they are not anything I want to get hit by, but a few hundred fps increase from their handgun velocities does step it up into a different category. If it were all I had with me in a survival situation, I would be confident that the Kel-Tec in .40S&W could easily take a deer at 50 yards or more. The 38-40 out of a carbine has probably killed more deer than many people would believe.
E.N. Woodcock wrote.....

I have read with interest the discussion of the many different makes of guns, the different calibers for large game hunting, etc., and as I am not well up on "gunology," I have listened and wondered why there was so much agitation on the gun question. I believe that nearly all of the modern guns that are manufactured today are good--at least sufficiently good shooters for all practical purposes. Shotguns can be bought at $3.00 or $4.00 that do good work. Perhaps there is not a man in the country who has carried a gun as many days as the writer, but what has done more target shooting than I have.

Back in the 70's when men hunted deer in this section for the money that was in it, I often did not take my rifle down to shoot from one season's hunting to the next, unless by chance something in the way of game came into fields near the house. I was always in love with my gun and if I did not like it I would get rid of it at the first opportunity. I am still of the opinion that a gun is similar to a man's wife, you must love them in order to get the best results.

I always wanted as good a gun as there was on the market. By this I do not mean the highest priced, nor the highest power gun, but the gun that would do the business. A man by the name of Orlando Reese and I were the first to buy Winchester rifles in this section, and I think in this county. The guns were the common round barrel .44 caliber and we paid $60.00 apiece for them. The same kind of a gun can now, I think, be bought for $12.00 or $14.00. Previous to the time I bought the Winchester, I had been using a Henry rifle for a time, but it was not a good gun for hunting purposes. A few years later the .45-75 Winchester came into use, so I sold my .44 and bought a .45-75. I did not like it so I sold it and bought a Colts, which was a good gun, but one day I was doing some fast work on a bunch of deer and in my haste I did not work the lever just as I should and it jammed. This made me rather angry, so I sold it and got another .44 Winchester, which I used for a long time, but I disposed of it very unexpectedly.

I was coming out from camp after a new stock of provisions. My partner, Amersley Ball, was with me. We had not gone far after getting in the wagon road when we met a man by the name of Lyman who was on his way to the Cross Fork of Kettle Creek, for the purpose of inspecting the timber lands and wanted a gun to carry with him. Before Mr. Lyman was hardly in speaking distance he yelled at me and asked what I would take for my gun. Thinking that he was only joking I said $40.00.

Mr. Lyman came up to me, took my gun from my shoulders, looked at it and asked me if it was alright. I replied that if it was not I would not be carrying it.

Mr. Lyman replied, "I guess that is right," and taking a check from his pocket dropped down on one knee, filled it out for forty dollars and handed it to me, so I was without a gun right in the midst of the hunting season.

My protest was of no use, as Mr. Lyman took the gun and went his way, laughing at me. I received a little more for the gun than the usual price at the time, but there was no dealer at our place who kept the Winchester in stock. The dealers were always obliging and would take your order and get you a gun for a small profit of about sixteen dollars. I had no time to wait for a gun to be ordered, so I began to look about to find some one who had a gun for sale. Mr. Wm. Thompson, the publisher of a local newspaper in our place had bought a new .38 caliber Winchester to use in his annual outing and said that he would have no further use for a gun until another season that if I would give him $35.00, I could have his gun. I gave Mr. Thompson the money and the next morning we went back to camp.

After we had arrived at camp, I crossed the divide from the Sinnemahoning side of the Pine Creek side to hunt. I had not gone far after reaching Pine Creek before I struck the trail of five or six deer. After following the trail a ways I concluded that the deer would pass around the point of the ridge and pass through a hardwood balsam on the other side of the ridge.

I climbed the hill and made for the balsam in hope to head the deer off. I had only reached the brow of the hill so that I could look into the basin when I saw the deer. I thought to myself, there is a good chance to try my new gun, for I had not yet shot it. I drew on a large doe that was in the lead of the bunch and cut loose. The doe made a leap into the air, made a jump or two down the hill and went down, while the rest of the deer made two or three jumps up the hill towards me and stopped and looked back down the hill in the direction of the doe that I had shot. I pulled onto the shoulders of a buck, the largest deer of the bunch, who gave his tail a switch or two, wheeled, made a few jumps down the hill and fell, while the rest of the bunch made a lively break for other parts. I continued to scatter lead as long as I could see them.

I ran down to the deer that I had killed, cut their throats, removed their entrails, climbed some saplings, bent them down, cut off the tops and hung the deer on them. Getting a pole with a crotch at the end to place under the sapling, I pulled the deer up the best that I could and started on the trail of the others. I did not follow the trail long when I saw one of them had a broken leg. The deer with the broken leg soon dropped out from the others and went down the hill, crossed the hollow and went into a thick hemlock timber and laurel.

As it was nearly night, I left the trail and went home to camp. The next morning, Mr. Ball went with me to help get the wounded deer. We did not follow the trail far until we saw the deer fixing to lie down. I backed up and went up the hill above where we thought the deer might be lying. While Mr. Ball waited for me to give the signal to come. Mr. Ball had not gone far after I had howled, letting him know that I was ready, when out of the laurel came the deer. Mr. Ball was close, so that we both got a shot, killing the deer almost before it was on its feet.

Now I was so infatuated with my new gun, that it was a case of love at first sight. This was in the late 70's. I have used several different makes of guns. I also had a .30-30 Savage, which I considered a good gun for big game, and in fact, I can say that the most of the guns that I have tried were all good. I however am still married to my little .38 Winchester. I can say that in all these, considerable more than thirty years, I have never run up against a subject but that this little Winchester was equal to the emergency.

Now I wish to ask, why it is that a hunter cares for a high power gun that will shoot into the next township and kill a man or a horse that the hunter was not aware of existing, when a gun of less power will do just as good execution in deer hunting? The ammunition for the gun of lower power costs much less and there is far less danger in killing a man or beast a mile away. We hear men talk of shooting deer 200 and even 300 yards. In the many years that I have hunted deer, I believe that I have killed two deer at a distance of from 50 to 75 yards, to one a distance of 100 or 150. I believe most deer hunters will agree that there are far more deer killed at a distance of 50 or 60 yards than over that distance. I think that if those hunters who kill deer at a distance of 100 or 200 yards will take the trouble to step off the distance of their long shots, instead of estimating them, they will find that 100 yards in timber is a long ways. Yes, boys, 20 rods through the timber is a long ways to shoot a deer. Why? Because the deer can not often be seen at a greater distance, where there would be any use of shooting at all, and the little .38 will do all of that and more too.

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/34063
m.A.g.a. !
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Thanks, Ray! That's a fascinating look at a far different time and place...
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com