speaking of thirty somethings

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

speaking of thirty somethings

Post by Grizz »

I recently fired some 7.62x39 ammo for the first time. Ever. 122Gr fmj, made in russia. What a thrill. 7.5 inch barrel. Made in America... just Great.

I didn't have a blast for several reasons. the ruskie had feeding issues. and i could not see the sights, could not find the front one in the back one. I couldn't see where i was missing so i stalked up toward the stump and stopped about 2 car lengths away. once i found the plate with the first hole i could put more holes in it. basically without a front sight. Sheesh.

the surprises? no significant recoil to speak of. I one handed it for a couple pops and no problem. although i always shoot two with two hands. and he's not too loud either with decent ear gear. I don't know what i expected. but sure don't need any braces to make it go. next time i will put the 556 scope on it and see if i can see with that! Sheesh.
762_002.jpeg
† grizz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: speaking of thirty somethings

Post by piller »

7.62X39 is not all that bad. Out of some guns, it can be reasonably accurate.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

on the other hand, the holes in the paper plate are mostly all center mass, and the plate bled out before it hit the ground ! ! ! . . . :lol:
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

piller wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:41 pm 7.62X39 is not all that bad. Out of some guns, it can be reasonably accurate.
Before my boating accident I had a Bulgarian AK that was 2moa to 300 with surplus russky ammo. I had a peep sight on it. One of my most accurate rifles. Same ammo in an SKS lost in the same accident was a bit better with a scope.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Just saw an add the other day that Winchester is adding the 7.62x39 to their "White Box" line. Haven't seen any pricing yet, but it would be nice to have some cleaner 7.62s with reloadable brass.

This was the first time out and shooting offhand at 50 yds. with Wolf, 123 gr. FMJs. The trigger in this rifle is better than most ARs I've had. I've since ditched the Sig red dot. Still don't care for them.
I've had about half a dozen AKs over the years, this one tops them all.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Nice gun !

helps me recall every one i didn't buy ! :lol:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That would take a deer. I have only shot a few AK type of firearms. Like most guns, some are better made than others. One SKS I got to shoot gave a 10 round group with cheap Russian ammo that was about 2 1/2 inches at 100 yards. I would have bought if the owner were willing to sell. I have seen others which were minute of pie pan at 100 yards. I am not a fan of the SKS fixed 10 round magazine just because of limits on the number of rounds in the magazine that some States have. If you take them apart, most SKS fixed magazines can be removed to allow for the removable magazines.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost