New Marlin is a keeper.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

New Marlin is a keeper.

Post by 2ndovc »

A little cold, snowy and windy for a proper range report, but had a little fun anyway.

The Remington-Marlin ran perfectly and seems to prefer a 405 grain bullet.

Shooting offhand at 50 yds.
First group on the left was a 350 gr. Hornady JSP & 45 gr. IMR-3031.
Target on the right was 405 gr. Cast Performance WFNGC hard cast and 45 gr. of Varget.

Looking forward to getting back out, but looking at the weather forecast, it's going to be a while.
I still haven't shot the .35 Remington and another revolver. I used to have a lot more tolerance for this weather. :shock:

Only complaint is that dumb folding rear sight. That's gotta go. Contemplated giving it the Scout Rifle treatment, but I like it as is. i bought it cheap enough to use as a knock about and not worry about a little wear and tear. I have to dig through my parts cabinet and see what I have. I know there's several other Marlin folding sights in there. :shock:

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New Marlin is a keeper.

Post by .45colt »

Yep , it's kind of cold on the North Coast for range time today Jason. In the low 30's here on the far East side. :D . When loaded with reasonable loads these 1895's are handy to carry all day and won't beat You to death in the process. Just put a Williams Foolproof on it and Be Done! :shock: .
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

My Marlin 1895 sports a Williams FP Aperture sight and carries very comfortably. My hunting load is a Rem 405 gr SP over H322.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

.45colt wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:22 pm Yep , it's kind of cold on the North Coast for range time today Jason. In the low 30's here on the far East side. :D . When loaded with reasonable loads these 1895's are handy to carry all day and won't beat You to death in the process. Just put a Williams Foolproof on it and Be Done! :shock: .
Forgot to mention, that this particular Marlin made it out of the factory w/out being drilled and tapped for a receiver sight. Found that rather odd. I prefer the Lyman 66 over the Williams, but I have several other rifles set up with peep sights. Just going to change out the rear sight and call it good. :D

Vic,
I still have one box left of the Rem. 405 JSPs. I've never tried the H322, but have lots of Varget and 3031. If I see a pound, I'll have to give it a try.

jb 8)

TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

2ndovc wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:44 pm
.45colt wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:22 pm Yep , it's kind of cold on the North Coast for range time today Jason. In the low 30's here on the far East side. :D . When loaded with reasonable loads these 1895's are handy to carry all day and won't beat You to death in the process. Just put a Williams Foolproof on it and Be Done! :shock: .
Forgot to mention, that this particular Marlin made it out of the factory w/out being drilled and tapped for a receiver sight. Found that rather odd. I prefer the Lyman 66 over the Williams, but I have several other rifles set up with peep sights. Just going to change out the rear sight and call it good. :D

Vic,
I still have one box left of the Rem. 405 JSPs. I've never tried the H322, but have lots of Varget and 3031. If I see a pound, I'll have to give it a try.

jb 8)
Years ago I bought 500 Rem 405 gr bullets from Midway. To say the least I have a bunch of these yet. Anyway, when I was working up loads for my Marlin I found equal performance (3/4" @ 100 yds) using H322 or RL7. I'm planning to work up a new load, a bit less warm than the current one.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I've had very good luck with Varget accuracy in 358 Winchester with a compressed load. I think with better sights you will be ready to hunt! -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Even if it's not got the holes tapped in the side for the Williams FP 94, you can get essentially the same site as the Williams FP 336. It uses either the front two or the rear two scope mount holes. I generally use the front ones.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I'm also a fan of the Lyman 66 and I believe I have one on my 454 Puma, however, I don't see the same model for sale anymore! :cry: -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

A couple options you might consider for replacing that rear sight.
The barrel mount works well despite the distance from one's eye and many have claimed it works far better than a typical buckhorn or other leaf type rear sight. The standard Skinner is the one I'd look at as they are rugged and compact. I think that's the model that Ruger is supplying on the current 1895's.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
WCG
Levergunner

Post by WCG »

An old school tang sight is an effective option.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Rats, Jason. I was hoping you would grow quickly disillusioned and decide to try to dump it for pennies on one of your poor Texas comrades ... :lol:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:07 pm Rats, Jason. I was hoping you would grow quickly disillusioned and decide to try to dump it for pennies on one of your poor Texas comrades ... :lol:
You're going to have to try harder than that, Bill! :D
i think this one is going to be around for awhile. I don't easily part with .45-70s.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, but I have plenty of other rifles to choose from that are set up with peeps, tang sights and scout scopes if I'm needing a target or hunting set up. This one is going to stay as a general all purpose fun gun, camp gun and all around lead slinger.

jb 8)

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Another vote for the Skinner rear sight. Even better would be to add their front sight, too. I find precise aiming is much easier with a square post.
NRA Life Member
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

2ndovc wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:44 pm
.45colt wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:22 pm Yep

Vic,

jb 8)
It has holes in the top of the receiver doesn’t it?
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

It does, but sit seems as though, no one is paying attention. I don't want a peep sight on this this rifle. I know what I'm going to use it for. I have five other .45-70s to choose from if I need something precise.

jb 8)