Interesting video on the different types of AR-10's

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Interesting video on the different types of AR-10's

Post by AJMD429 »

I'm not sure if I agree with his conclusions about AR-10's in general, but I sure learned a lot watching the video.

https://youtu.be/UtjRRYOY8IU

Since I don't primarily depend on a 308, I am more interested in aesthetics and fun than practicality with the semiauto class of 308, therefore as a traditionalist in some sense, I really like the blue steel and walnut of the M1A, or the historically awesome Garand.

The AR-10 'platform' (even the shorter ones) just seems huge and unnecessarily big and flat and awkward when compared to the M1A or the even more compact Garand. I've tried to see if I can get to like a bullpup 308, but I just don't like a high pressure rifle cartridge going off that much closer to my face vs a regular one. (...now I do think I could get used to the much lower pressure 12 gauge round going off in that location with a good bullpup 12 gauge... :twisted: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Interesting video on the different types of AR-10's

Post by Griff »

Interesting video. I knew that the AR-10 rifles did not enjoy the commonality of parts the AR-15 family does. The one modification I've made to each of my AR-15s is the replacement of the recoil spring & buffer with the JP Enterprises noiseless buffer & spring system. No more "SPROING" next to your ear. Besides, I have a Garand in .30-06, so have no need of an AR-10.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yup, the Armalite i have is BIG & HEAVY. Nope ya cant interchange parts. It uses M1A mags that ya have to cut the mag catch into the body.
But having 3 times the bullet weight BIG BROTHER is for 400yds and out, inside that the AR15 gets to play.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

This is what makes that new Ruger attractive. AR-15 size but in 308.

Yes, the interchangeability in the AR-10 world is awful. You have to be very careful about what lower you get to match up with mags and uppers. Way more research than the AR-15. There's way too much DPMS based junk out there.

I wish everyone had just adopted the KMC SR-25 specs.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Even the most basic AR10 with a free float barrel will be more accurate than an M1A. While I like the platform the M1A requires A LOT of modifications to come even close.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus