Javelina hide?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Javelina hide?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Hey fellers, there is a guy on my muzzleloading forum planning an Arizona javelina hunt, and he is asking if the hide can be tanned and if it is useful for anything. I don't recall ever hearing a word about javelina leather.
JimT
Shootist

Re: Javelina hide?

Post by JimT »

The was someone used to make gloves from the hides. If I remember correctly where the hairs were form a unique pattern of 3's on the hide. (3 small holes or dots that is.)
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

A couple of older friends spoke of javelina gloves as being very thin and flexible while being quite tough. I would think that it would take one hide per hand. I would have loved to have a pair but always became so preoccupied with other tasks (such as getting them ready for the pit) that I would forgot to save the hides at the time.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Blackhawk, I assume by "getting them ready for the pit" that you were barbecuing them? How did that go? How did they taste?
Seems in a lot of reading over the years that many just take the head for the skull and leave the carcass.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:29 am Blackhawk, I assume by "getting them ready for the pit" that you were barbecuing them? How did that go? How did they taste?
Seems in a lot of reading over the years that many just take the head for the skull and leave the carcass.
I am not Blackhawk but I can testify that we ate Javelina a lot! My wife usually fixed them and made many meals with them. A lot of the people that had problems with them tried to cut out the musk gland during skinning. Get it into the meat and it's pretty well ruined. If you don't mess with it and jut pull the hide off the gland comes with the hide and does not get on anything.

The meat is extra lean. My wife always added fat or oil to them when she cooked them in the crock pot. I have a recipe or two of hers as to how she fixed them.

One hunt we had another hunter who was an American Indian camp with us. I shot a Javelina the first day and gave the meat to him for his family. That night at the campfire he cut off the right rear leg where the bullet went in (I shot it as it was running away from me.. the bullet went in the right rear ham and exited front left chest). He browned it by holding it over the fire and turning it until the meat had cooked on the outside ... then he propped it on 3 sticks over the fire and slowly cooked it. It cooked in its own juices. When it was done it was amazing! A little salt was all it needed.
Joe Reilly
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joe Reilly »

Football? :D
NRA Benefactor Member

My mind is like a steel trap,
rusty and illegal in 37 states.
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

A couple of buds usually liked to play cook and had the recipe already worked out.
First pull the hide off with the gland. Rinse out carcass with plenty of water. Split the carcass to lay flat on a bed of mesquite coals in the pit. Using a child's toy mop, thoroughly soak both sides with a "sop" made of 50/50 cooking oil and vinegar mixed with a small can of Rotel in a big saucepan. Using the large can of Rotel supplies a bit too much zip for most folks. Place meat on the chimney end opposite the coals. Every time anybody walked by, during breaks in the domino or spade games or while fixing breakfast, whatever, they were to sop it down and turn it over, all the way up until mealtime.
We would put it on after the hunt on Friday evening to be ready for midday next day. Along with warm tortillas and pinto beans, always on the fire for the weekend, it worked for us. I'm sure there are fancier recipes, but this one served us well over the years.
Last edited by blackhawk44 on Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Wow, I haven't played spades since college. Nixon was president ... :shock:
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

It was LBJ when I learned. In the days before satellite tv, we occupied ourselves with hearts, spades, dominoes, moon and 42. Really doesn't seem so long ago, but...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:13 pmWow, I haven't played spades since college. Nixon was president ... :shock:
Not college, but in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club during the SEA War Games!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

No peccary hide info but a card playing story.....

Repair Locker #1 was way up forward starboard side so the 5" mount and magazine and all of the a.s.r.o.c. stuff including the variety we were forbidden of ever mentioning was in its sphere. I was the on-scene leader and most of my fire party were boatswain mates and non-designated deck apes. Huge responsibility what with 80 + % of the boom-booms onboard along with the bridge, combat, and all of the sonar fundamentals in our territory. However, none of us were security cleared to enter either the 5" nor a.s.r.o.c. magazines.

So all we could do during general quarters is set zebra where we could and hope that the ft's, fc's, gmg's, gmm's os's and st's (griff knows what these letters mean) set zebra in the spaces that we were forbidden. Then, after muster was taken we settled down to either reading as the ship's library was the next space forward of the repair locker or, the brothers would play tonk. You can well imagine that they got quite loud but, though I was in charge of the fire party, I was still just a humble HTFN/HT3. One day we were dead in the water but thankfully aux 2 was running(emergency diesel generator) and we were bow to the waves. One of the brothers, a BM3, invited me to play tonk.

I never had the faintest clue what was going on and there was no money or chips or markers on the table but apparently there was a ghost pot that someone was ciphering and when general quarters lapsed and the game busted-up it was said that I owed the pot some $700 and change. You can easily imagine just how much of that $700+ that I paid.

With billy's....er, I mean mister powell's permission I will continue part two later or if I am censured for the thread drift I will gladly delete.....
m.A.g.a. !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Now Ray, there you go channeling my late grandmother again, calling me Bill + y ... :lol: