Colt New Frontier .22LR/WMR

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Colt New Frontier .22LR/WMR

Post by Pat C »

Picked up a like new in box Colt New Frontier .22 for decent price. Been test fired so Ill probably shoot it some.
Had the Peacemaker version years ago but was perfect ,hated to put a mark on it as it was New unfired so I traded it off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Colt New Frontier .22LR/WMR

Post by OldWin »

I've got one just like it, but mine has a shorter barrel. Have the box with mine too. I traded for it when I was in HS. It's still in really nice shape, but I dont dare guess how many rounds I've put through it. Have a Scout convertible the same way. All the Colt SA .22s I've shot have been great shooters.
Last edited by OldWin on Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Nice!! I wish now I had kept the Peacemaker too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I wish I had one too! However.....I have a friend who has a couple of beauties. One has a short barrel and it's the one I have my radar on. I'm hoping I can get it.
The Peacemakers are really neat.

I have a soft spot for the Colt SA 22s. My dad has a Frontier Scout that was the first handgun I ever fired when I was a kid.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Arrgh, you guys know I'm looking at 22 Mag single actions and holding out a bit longer for a Ruger Single Nine, and then you just HAD to post this, didn't you????
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Just call me Mr. Green.... -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I’d shoot the hell out of it!
WCG
Levergunner

Post by WCG »

(1974) L Series.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

shoot it !! i have two of the short barrel new frontiers, two of the longer barrel, and one of the 7 1/2 "...i shoot them all and all of them outshoot any ruger single six that i have had. and they sure are right pretty too.
cable
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

With the Browning 1911
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Old Savage, is your Colt 22 LR or 22 Mag? I suspect the 1911 is 22 LR. You can PM if you wish. See you Saturday night for pizza and beer! -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Both 22 LR. I did get a mag cylinder and fit it but not a Colt.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

hfcable wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:43 pm shoot it !! i have two of the short barrel new frontiers, two of the longer barrel, and one of the 7 1/2 "...i shoot them all and all of them outshoot any ruger single six that i have had. and they sure are right pretty too.
I have found this to be true also. While I've shot a bunch of Single Six's, it's why I've never owned one. The Colts are lighter, prettier, and shoot better for me.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

I had a small collection of NIB Colts ,wasn't for me so I traded them . This one has been shot but remains excellent but I will shoot it. Maybe later today if weather permits.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Fun stuff. I think the first handgun I ever shot was a Frontier Scout, though it may have been a .32 Beretta that my granddad always had on him. Around the same time whichever it was.

I'm pretty sure that I snatched up the first Ruger Wrangler that I ran across because it reminded me of the Colt .22.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Nice one! Thanks for reminding me to put one at the top of my shopping list. I've had a couple mint ones that got traded because they were too pretty to shoot. Gotta get me a shooter.
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Have the same 6" New Frontier with both cylinders and a blued Colt-marked screwdriver, but no box or papers. Same condition, too; only bluing wear is at the muzzle from drawing out of a leather holster. Shoots great, except that it doesn't like the non-lead .22 WMRs that we are now required to use for hunting here. Fortunately it does like the Remington "Green" .22 LRs a lot. Fits my hand better than just about any handgun except my Ruger .32 H&R Single Six Bisley with Herretts grips. But it's a lot purtier, for sure a keeper.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I'm kicking myself now for passing up on Colt New Frontiers in .22LR/.22 Mag at a local gun shop. There were some nice ones that passed through their hands at very reasonable prices but the place essentially closed down during the pandemic. I wasn't looking at them back then but I will be henceforth.
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 308magtip »

Colts are like old Corvetts and old T-Birds They are made to shoot and drive. Never know what you might hit/pickup with one.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

hfcable wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:43 pmshoot it !! i have two of the short barrel new frontiers, two of the longer barrel, and one of the 7 1/2 "...i shoot them all and all of them outshoot any ruger single six that i have had. and they sure are right pretty too.
I had the opportunity to buy a Colt Peacekeeper .22 at a small swap meet in a little town in Iowa on the IL border. The guy had it and a Winchester 94 .30-30 rifle, 1929 mfgr date and wanted $400 for the pair. I only had $200 on me. He offered either for the $200. I often think I made the wrong choice, as I have 7 Winchester .30-30s in a rifle configuration and not a single Colt Peacekeeper. :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Finally had a chance to shoot the New Frontier today,
First two shots dead in the X ,next four shots vertical stacked in the 8 ring left . last twelve shots all in the 9,10 ring .All eighteen shots fired sitting with barrel rested.
CCI .22LR HV
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very nice indeed, congrats. 8) :mrgreen:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’ve had two of the New Frontier Buntline Specials but for some reason they’ve both moved on . I do however have a Peacemaker Buntline Special my grandfather ordered right after I was born in 1961 and recieved in 1962 . I’ve got box all paperwork original grips and a set of walnut target grips my grandfather carved right after he got the gun . That revolver may go in the box with me .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

I found out the Colt cylinders chambers are tapered with .223/.224 throat and .228 case side.May promote fine accuracy once I find the best ammo it likes.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Have had a half dozen of these
in various models.

Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Beautiful little gun, Old Savage! Thanks
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

With a SAA