.45 Colt’s reloading tool.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

.45 Colt’s reloading tool.

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

This is an interesting tool. But I’m missing the decapper/neck expander piece.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .45 Colt’s reloading tool.

Has everything else though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Scott, I have a few of the Winchester tools from the late 1800's. Similar to the Ideal tool you have there, but the bullet mold was separate. The decapping pin is often missing on these, since it was a detached part and easy to lose. I got lucky and the first one I bought, a .32-20 WCF (last year), had the original decapper! You can make replacements for these. I need to do so for a few of them. I have a couple of the Ideal tools too. Very cool tool!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Also, if I recall, the external dome on the bullet seater can be used to expand the case mouth.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I’m fixing to start loading some black powder .45 Colt ammo. It will be interesting to see if I can at least seat and crimp with this tool.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:28 pmI’m fixing to start loading some black powder .45 Colt ammo. It will be interesting to see if I can at least seat and crimp with this tool.
It's fun to load a few on one... but I wouldn't want to do even 25 or so! :wink:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Griff wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:11 am
Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:28 pmI’m fixing to start loading some black powder .45 Colt ammo. It will be interesting to see if I can at least seat and crimp with this tool.
It's fun to load a few on one... but I wouldn't want to do even 25 or so! :wink:
I have loaded hundreds of rounds with the Lyman 310 Tool. And of course it is a direct descendant of Scott's .45 Colt Tool. When I was a teenager my Dad started me out on the Lyman 310 and I loaded all my .38's, .357's and later .45 Colts with that. Every now and again I get my 310 stuff out and load something. Last time it was some .44 Specials.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Every .50-70 cartridge I have ever loaded was on my Lyman Tong Tool. Sometimes it’s just relaxing to sit outside and enjoy loading a few.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've got probably 3 dozen Ideal and Marlin-Ideal tong tools, and only a few came with their decapping rods. The rest I had to make, but they're very easy to do. I took some round rod of various diameter to a friend and had him put them in his lathe and center drill for RCBS pins. Then took them home and used my drill press to spin them while I held a file to them to shape them to the correct diameter and shape for each tool. Then just cut them off the rod with a hacksaw and finish them by using Loctite on the pins before pushing them in.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:17 am Every .50-70 cartridge I have ever loaded was on my Lyman Tong Tool. Sometimes it’s just relaxing to sit outside and enjoy loading a few.
I recently was gifted a Lyman 310 tool complete kit in the original box for .50-70 Govt. And also about 70 .50-70 cases too. I don't own a .50-70, but have had a few in the past. So guess I need to find another now!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Griff wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:11 am
What you are missing is ya gotta sit around the camp fire then get to loading! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:08 pm
What you are missing is ya gotta sit around the camp fire then get to loading! :D
I agree with you Brother.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:17 am Every .50-70 cartridge I have ever loaded was on my Lyman Tong Tool. Sometimes it’s just relaxing to sit outside and enjoy loading a few.
Sounds like pure heaven is the relaxing department! :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

You will most likely find the bullets cast from them are accurate.....I have several in 38-40, 32-20, and 45-90. Wrap some duct tape around the handles.......I believe they knew more then that what they know today....one bullet for each caliber in all makes of guns.....

With over 200 moulds I find myself using about a dozen of them.....the same dozen....
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I cast with one in .38 Long to get the correct heeled bullets for that cartridge. I just slip rubber hose over the handles when using the mold, but just leather gloves also works fine. The nice thing about 1/2" heater hose is it's easy to put on, and take off when done.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

marlinman93 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:58 am I've got probably 3 dozen Ideal and Marlin-Ideal tong tools, and only a few came with their decapping rods. The rest I had to make, but they're very easy to do. I took some round rod of various diameter to a friend and had him put them in his lathe and center drill for RCBS pins. Then took them home and used my drill press to spin them while I held a file to them to shape them to the correct diameter and shape for each tool. Then just cut them off the rod with a hacksaw and finish them by using Loctite on the pins before pushing them in.
One of these days I would like to visit with you about this as I would like to make this complete.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:22 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:58 am I've got probably 3 dozen Ideal and Marlin-Ideal tong tools, and only a few came with their decapping rods. The rest I had to make, but they're very easy to do. I took some round rod of various diameter to a friend and had him put them in his lathe and center drill for RCBS pins. Then took them home and used my drill press to spin them while I held a file to them to shape them to the correct diameter and shape for each tool. Then just cut them off the rod with a hacksaw and finish them by using Loctite on the pins before pushing them in.
One of these days I would like to visit with you about this as I would like to make this complete.
Sure thing Scott!
Since these don't need to be any special hardened steel, they're easy to build from drill rod, or most any steel round stock. A friend gave me a large quantity of round steel rods long ago that are all about 2' long, and range in diameter from 1/4" up to 1/2". I use them for all sorts of projects, and just grab one close to the diameter I need so they wont take much to turn down.
I use my lathe sometimes, but the odd shape of these decapping pins makes them easier to shape with a file than a lathe tool. So whether I use the lathe or the drill press, I still shape with a mill file.