SAA question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

SAA question

Post by gcs »

So as not to interrupt the SAA thread I have a question...

If I was to consider obtaining a SA revolver, just for funzies , Other than the Colt, are there any similar options?, new Vaquero, Italian clones?, Is the Single six comparable in handling?

I handled a USFA, at a show once, that was a nice gun....
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: SAA question

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Gcs, the recent Uberti copies imported by Taylor's, Cimarron and others have a very slightly larger cylinder than the originals -- a small extra margin of safety for those handloading .45 Colt. This is less important if you buy one in a lesser cartridge.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Not exactly a straight answer. The Ruger Blackhawk is bigger and heavier. More metal. The New Model Vaquero is closer in size and weight, but still not quite there. The use of a transfer bar gives it a different feel.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

If you think you want an SAA, but aren't sure about laying out the cash for the real deal, I'd buy one of the higher quality reproductions. Try it out. Shoot it awhile, and see how you like it. If you get the bug, and think it's just the coolest thing ever, start planning on how to get a real deal Colt.
I always liked the SAA, and wanted one when I was young, but had never really been around them other than my dad's Colt Frontier Scout. I bought a Uberti 5.5" 45 and played with it for awhile. It was a good shooter, but I was just never satisfied. I swapped it for a Ruger Vaquero when they first came out. Nice revolver, but again it just didn't scratch the itch. Being a New Model, I didn't care for not having the half cock.
I finally was honest with myself and waited till I could find a first generation Colt I could afford. I sold the Vaquero and never looked back. That was 3 Colt SAAs ago.

Now, before I get hate, there is nothing wrong with reproduction SAAs, or ANY Ruger Blackhawk or Vaquero.
Many folks will say they are "better", cause they are more modern, may have adjustable sights, and are stronger. All true.
However, if you want a Colt Single Action Army because you love what they are, and what they were so long ago....?
Well.....now you know why they're so expensive. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I’ll go with the idea that you can go with a Colt to see what where it all started is all about. Think I might have SAA types by seven different makers. All the examples are a bit different. If you just want shoot any will do that. I have looked over one 1883 so no experience on the comparison of different generations. Have had a dozen Colts wish had some back. Shooter not a collector here so the variations for that don’t matter to me. Accuracy can be very good.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

The newer Uberti's have their funny new safety hammer which I would avoid.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

With very few exceptions, all my single actions have adjustable sights. In my humble opinion, Rugers are the best bang for your buck (ha!). They have an excellent warranty program and their customer service is as good if not better than anyone else's. If I were looking for a single action today and if the ability to "stir the soul" as Taffin would say was a secondary priority, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Ruger Blackhawk, probably in .45 Colt with a 5 1/2" barrel.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I like my Ruger. Adjustable sights, and it can shoot anything I want in .45 Colt. Let everyone have their preferences.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Generally they all handle the same as far as they have similar controls and shape. There are some minor operational differences between Colt style lock work and newer guns with transfer bars like new model Rugers, BFR, Freedom Arms. There’s lots of quality differences too and generally you get what you pay for. Best to decide what you want it for. Then read on it and go out and handle some, compare prices, compare barrel lengths, finishes etc. All my Single action revolvers are Rugers, four of them. I do like Colts too, and have been considering a BFR. I’ve never really been all that intrigued by the clones other than when USFA made them rather well and affordably. Many of the clones do look good though. And you can get Remington and Smith and Wesson clones as well.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Thank You all!...
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

If you're looking for something that will be more accurate, then you'll need to compromise and not get one of the clones that is a closer copy since most have a fixed notch at the top strap. Ruger can be either way, so a Vaquero will be a closer clone than their adjustable sight versions, but adjustable sight SAA handguns will give you a better sight picture.
I personally prefer my clones to be closer to original Colt SAA 1st or 2nd Gen guns, so mine all have fixed notch sights. I know they're not target handguns, but I just like the look better. I also bought all of mine in like new condition, but as used guns because they were great prices. So if I was looking for another I'd always try the used market first.
My favorite in my collection is my AWA (American Western Arms) SAA in .45 Colt. It has a buttery smooth action that's as good as any SAA I've ever shot. And the color case and bluing is as god as anything I've seen. I was told the parts or castings were purchased from Uberti, and then final machine work, and assembly was all done here in the US. It's got the original style firing pin, and is based on the early 2nd Gen Colt style. But they also made them based on 1st Gen takedown style too. I'd buy another AWA if I ever saw one, but they seem to be almost non existent on the used market.
Here's one identical to mine, except mine has stag grips:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/963770474
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I always wanted one, but My standard Load is too hot for much use in a Colt. But I love looking at Them. Rugers for Me.
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

Of late, the Pietta Great Western Ii Californians seem to be the closest in feel and function to Colts. While they are not Super Blackhawk strong, a 250gr bullet at 900fps or so will still handle about 95% of most handgunners' issues.