Learning .....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Learning .....

Post by JimT »

Today I received a package I had ordered recently.
IMG_4579.JPG
IMG_4580.JPG
This kit has the tools to make paper cartridges for both the .36 caliber and the .44 Walker and Dragoon. I had contacted Guns of the West and asked if they could put together a kit for and was assured it was no problem.

When I got the kit today I went out to the shop and to try my hand at it. I decided to start with the smallest one ... the .36 caliber. I figured if an old fumble-fingered guy like me can make the little ones, the bigger .44's will be much easier. My first attempts ain't as nice looking as the owner of Guns of the West makes 'em, but they will do for a start.

Paper Cartridges
IMG_4585.JPG
Adding powder - the kit includes a powder measure for each caliber and a funnel.
IMG_4590.JPG
IMG_4591.JPG
IMG_4592.JPG
Seating the ball in the paper cartridge
IMG_4593.JPG
Finished
IMG_4595.JPG
IMG_4597.JPG
The last ones I made were better than the first. I think I will get better at it as I go along. It was an enjoyable reloading session! I loaded 10 and am gonna load some more. And I want to load some .44's also.

If you are interested, here is the contact information.

Dustin Winegar
Guns of the West, LLC
P.O. Box 544
West Jordan, UT 84084

gunsofthewestllc@gmail.com
https://gunsoftheweststore.com/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Learning .....

Post by gamekeeper »

It seems to be a growing hobby. I see a lot more about paper cartridges these days now I ain't got my Cap n Ball revolvers... :(
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Like it :D .
They look to good to shoot!

Capandball (on YouTube) sells the boxes that hold the cartridges, reproduction of the old ones.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Thanks Nath!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sooo.... would this company set a person up to do same with a rifle...? That sounds fun.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

AJMD429 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:35 pm .
Sooo.... would this company set a person up to do same with a rifle...? That sounds fun.
Contact 'em and see. You never know.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

So how do you load it? Stick the whole thing in the front of the cylinder and ram it down?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

44shooter wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:09 am So how do you load it? Stick the whole thing in the front of the cylinder and ram it down?
Yessir. Simple to load and if you use a capping tool it makes reloading fairly quick.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Wow, that's really cool! How delicate are they once they are made? I guess my thoughts are, do they have to be set in a cartridge box like the 1800s style boxes we see where they are separated from each other, or packed in a smaller box? Just wondering how one would get them from point A to B without mashing them up.

It's kind of a dumb question, but I find stuff like this really interesting though I have very little knowledge when it comes to BP shooting. Thinking this would be fun with my ROA.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

2ndovc wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:51 am Wow, that's really cool! How delicate are they once they are made? I guess my thoughts are, do they have to be set in a cartridge box like the 1800s style boxes we see where they are separated from each other, or packed in a smaller box? Just wondering how one would get them from point A to B without mashing them up.

It's kind of a dumb question, but I find stuff like this really interesting though I have very little knowledge when it comes to BP shooting. Thinking this would be fun with my ROA.

jb 8)
They are a lot more "delicate" than metallic cartridges, obviously. But they won't fall apart real easily and can be laid in a container. I wouldn't stack them. I am setting mine base-first into old 5.56mm cartridge boxes. Holds 20 rounds and are kept from moving around, getting crushed etc. I will put the .44's in a .44Special/Magnum/.45 Colt plastic cartridge box.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Jim. I went to the site and watched the video on how they are assembled. While looking through the kits I saw he had some cartridge boxes for sale as well. I ordered a kit for my Ruger, figured I can make my own cartridge boxes or use some boxes like you suggested.

Thanks for the post and answering my questions!

jb 8)

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

thumbsup.JPG
HAVE FUN!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Just a question based on knowing nothing about them: Does the flame from the percussion cap burn through the paper to set off the powder? It appears that it would. I guess what little paper that does not burn is blown out with the rest of the powder, flame, and bullet.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

piller wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:14 pm Just a question based on knowing nothing about them: Does the flame from the percussion cap burn through the paper to set off the powder? It appears that it would. I guess what little paper that does not burn is blown out with the rest of the powder, flame, and bullet.
The paper included with the kit burns leaving almost no ash. The flash from the cap goes right through it and sets the charge off. There is no delay or at least not one you can "feel" ... some people use coffee filters for the cartridge and while I haven't, my understanding is that it does not burn clean like cigarette paper. The originals used nitrated paper and some who want to do it all the old-time way either buy it or make it themselves. For me the thin cigarette paper made with rice paper works very well.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

The .44's are easier to make than the .36's, though by the time I did a box of 20 of the .36's I was doing much better. I am glad I did not get a kit for the .31!!!! I am too thick-fingered to try and make those little bitty things.

.44's from today
44-1.JPG
44-2.JPG
The home-made conicals were the hardest to get started into the paper. I found by making small slits in the paper it helped "funnel" them in. I can see I am gonna have to work on techniques for loading them.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Slick!

I'm really looking forward to trying this out.

Thanks again for "Lessons on How to be Cool"! :D

jb 8)

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JimT wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:04 pm I figured if an old fumble-fingered guy like me can make the little ones, the bigger .44's will be much easier.
You should try making the .31-caliber ones! You darn near need tweezers!!! (and a magnifier) :shock: :shock: :shock:

I enjoy loading the .44 ones more as well. I've got a set from Dustin, as well as Cap-n-Ball's set. Like them both. I like the built-in powder cavity on Dustin's as well. Before these came out, I used tapered dowels I had made back in the early 1980's. :D

These things work great with Mark Hubbs "Eras Gone By" period-correct conical molds (made by Lee Precision).

I got into paper cartridges in the early 1980's after reading one of my Dad's old "American Rifleman" magazines, I think from the early 1960's, on paper cartridges. Used cigarette paper and those dowels I made. A ton of fun! :D
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I figured there were some of you on here who are what I would call "Advanced" in the art of paper cartridges and other old-time ways of doing things.

I enjoy learning and doing this stuff ... and like reloading .22 rimfires, it's a skill that one day quite possibly will be needed. I would rather learn it now than when the wolf is howling at the door.

Besides ... it's a fun way to shoot more. As if I needed an excuse ..... :lol: