.22- 30/30 anyone?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

.22- 30/30 anyone?

Post by Oldncrusty »

I'm really curious about this wildcat. Wondering if any one has any experience with it. I think I read it was also called .22-30. I bought a .32-20 Hand Ejector a while back from a guy whose grandfather was a bigtime reloader. He threw in a ziploc of these loaded rounds, probly 30-40 pieces. He said his grandfather was into T/C Contenders, so I am guessing he had a barrel for this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Re: .22- 30/30 anyone?

Post by Shasta »

Looks like the .219 Zipper caliber to me.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Hey, you are right. I guess I didnt google long enough.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

First thing I thought of, 219 zipper.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
arclight
Levergunner

Post by arclight »

Not to mention the .22 Savage Hi-Power (aka "Imp).
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I knew a guy that did a 22-303, had a hard time getting bullets to stay together, anything under 50grs would vaporize going down range. If I remember he was getting 55s at about 4000fps or better.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

arclight wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:59 am Not to mention the .22 Savage Hi-Power (aka "Imp).
Yep, also real similar, but the "Imp" case would be fully as long as the 30/30 case and have a longer neck than we see in the picture. To go along with a .228 diameter bullet.

That's a 219 zipper made from a 30/30 case and doesn't look to have been fired after the forming operation. I have an "improved zipper" for which I make the brass from 30/30, so recognize the look.

Always wanted a levergun in the zipper cartridge and never met up with one when I had the funds to make the acquisition.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I had a Marlin 336SC Zipper for awhile . I used it as a two shooter since I loaded Nosler 60 grain Partitions for it . One in the pipe and one in the Mag tube . Thing actually shot fairly well . I’d wanted to kill a deer with it but never did before I liquidated it .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

6pt-sika wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:30 am I had a Marlin 336SC Zipper for awhile . I used it as a two shooter since I loaded Nosler 60 grain Partitions for it . One in the pipe and one in the Mag tube . Thing actually shot fairly well . I’d wanted to kill a deer with it but never did before I liquidated it .
That's why it should be the old earlmck shooting one of those levergun zippers: I know you don't have to worry about using pointy bullets. 4 generations of gun writers have told us not to use pointy bullets in our levers and not a one of them knew whereof he spoke (or wrote).
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I had to look it up. It sounds like a reasonably close performance to the .222, or the .223, and if it were in a levergun with a stiffer and shorter barrel with modern powders that it would be a great varmint round. A 94 angle eject or a Marlin with a scope should make it death on coyotes.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost