New LEVERGUN cartridge?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New LEVERGUN cartridge?

Post by .45colt »

In Ohio a Hunter can use any straight wall case from .357mag all the way to the big 50cal sharps rounds, probably even straight wall African stuff too. shotguns and rifle's can only be loaded with three rounds total . I see the Buckhammer in inexpensive bolts and single shots. I don't know many people around here that would fork out a grand for a Marlin or Henry ,no matter how much I like them.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

So just for grits & shins I emailed Henry asking if & when production might start. The reply was 'no plans to produce at this time '. The article said it was a prototype rifle so maybe they are re-engineering before a release.
Who knows what will happen.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

One thing for sure Gunny if enough people ask for it Henry will make it. bought a Henry lever action .22 Youth model for the kids a few years ago. the rear sight didn't look right to Me and I sent an e-mail about it . a few days later there was a new on at the door. Great service. I wish they would make their single shot rifles hammerless then I might buy one.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I've had 2 different results in dealing with Henry.
First was I ordered a scope base for a friend, I called them ,gave my CC and when I got the bill that month there was the charge from Henry and not minutes later were $350 tickets for a playoff football game! I called and went off on whoever answered. After I blew up Anthony Imperato got on the phone and assured me that no one at Henry stole my CC info. Of course I called my CC company and they made good.
The second time I had every local dealer trying to find a 41 mag for me. I finally emailed them about getting the 41 and within days my LGS had my 41 waiting for me.
They are a great company.
Also have a suggestion box where you can give your 2 cents. The other manufacturers don't do that!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

A 357 levergun is at the top of my list. I've looked the Henry's over and am tempted, "but" am also waiting to see the new RugerMarlin 1894 offering whenever it finally shows up. The problem is I'm not getting any younger..
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

.45colt wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:15 pm. . . I see the Buckhammer in inexpensive bolts and single shots.
Same thing happened in Indiana with the 500 S&W. A repeating rifle in it would be pricey enough that few would bother, but the Handi-Rifle breakopens in 500 S&W made a great 'entry-level' rifle for whitetail for those who didn't realize that the same gun in 44 Mag or 45 Colt would do just as fine on whitetail, and I doubt many who were buying those $140.00 Handi-Rifles were planning on also using them when they went to Africa for Cape Buffalo...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I read the article. Its slightly faster than 35 Remington and significantly faster than 350 Legend. Doesn't kick much and kills well as you might expect from a slightly faster 35 Rem. Performance seems to be right between 35 Rem and 375 win. It doesn't hang with 356, 338 MX, 444.. good cartridge but no new territory in performance and the guns will be exactly the same.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I'm at the range today and see an empty case on the ground. I think to myself "A .375 Win? That's unusual to find." I pick it up and notice the diameter is too small. "a .350 Legend? I'll keep it for my cartridge collection/accumulation. No wait, it's rimmed!" I can't read what it says so I take out my phone. I'm surprised to read it. "I though this was still in development? I guess not."

I wonder if there's more around? I look and don't see any. What about in the trash can? An empty box? No.
But I do find some paperwork from Remington marked R&D , to an aspiring gun writer who obviously needs to work on his OPSEC. ;)
Slow is just slow.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

cas wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:06 pm I'm at the range today and see an empty case on the ground. I think to myself "A .375 Win? That's unusual to find." I pick it up and notice the diameter is too small. "a .350 Legend? I'll keep it for my cartridge collection/accumulation. No wait, it's rimmed!" I can't read what it says so I take out my phone. I'm surprised to read it. "I though this was still in development? I guess not."

I wonder if there's more around? I look and don't see any. What about in the trash can? An empty box? No.
But I do find some paperwork from Remington marked R&D , to an aspiring gun writer who obviously needs to work on his OPSEC. ;)
Well whattya know about that!! And what are the odds! 👍🏻
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Dang me, it's real!
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I said I couldn't read it. I sort of could, but my brain wasn't processing what I was able to read. "300? That don't make sense. No, 360? That doesn't make sense either." (in spite of having read about it the other day)
Slow is just slow.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I don't recall if I have a Max case, but I didn't look for it.

Left to right: 40-65 , 375 Win, 356 Win, 35 Rem, 360 Buckhammer, 30-30

Slow is just slow.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I'm tellin' ya, that case loaded with drop-tubed Curtis and Harvey Diamond Grade No. 6 under a 250-grain paper-patched bullet is going to win the single-shot matches. 8)
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Hmmm--have a 357 mag. Handi barrel that could be turned into a 360 BS errr BH. Just need a reamer, brass , dies and a new extractor!!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Once again, "wir brauchen ein like button," Herr Rockrat. :lol:
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:39 pm Once again, "wir brauchen ein like button," Herr Rockrat. :lol:
I don't know what you just said but I think I agree 🤣
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

cas wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:06 pm I'm at the range today and see an empty case on the ground. I think to myself "A .375 Win? That's unusual to find." I pick it up and notice the diameter is too small. "a .350 Legend? I'll keep it for my cartridge collection/accumulation. No wait, it's rimmed!" I can't read what it says so I take out my phone. I'm surprised to read it. "I though this was still in development? I guess not."

"accidentally" left behind?
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

The shell was in an odd spot, I barely saw it, I certainly could see why he couldn't find it.
Slow is just slow.
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

"We need a Like button" if I translate that correctly.

Hmm---maybe take my BFR in 30-30 and slap a new .357" barrel on it and rechamber the 30-30 cylinder. Wonder if JES reboring would do the barrel if I pulled it off?
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

cas wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:34 pm I don't recall if I have a Max case, but I didn't look for it.

Left to right: 40-65 , 375 Win, 356 Win, 35 Rem, 360 Buckhammer, 30-30

Would you be so kind as to measure the case length of the 360BH and post your findings?
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

I had a similar experience on Sunday, but it was three .350 Legend cases.I initially thought they were 357 Max's when I spotted them.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Just saw a Remington commercial on the Outdoor channel for the 360 Buckhammer. The guy in the commercial had a Henry.
But when I emailed Henry the reply said they didn't have plans to produce a 360 chambered rifle.
I smell a rat...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Gunny, supposedly Henry and Remington have fully spilled the beans at the SHOT Show.
weiler
Levergunner

Post by weiler »

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:01 pm I'm tellin' ya, that case loaded with drop-tubed Curtis and Harvey Diamond Grade No. 6 under a 250-grain paper-patched bullet is going to win the single-shot matches. 8)
Single shot matches wont have the 1.8" restriction, so I doubt this is going to even see many matches.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I just got an e-mail from Remington Ammo about the BuckHammer . A "starwars" type presentation that lasted about a minute and told Me nothing We don't already know. could see the Henry rifle because of the tube loading.....some of the comments below the ad were funny. One Guy said He won't be plunking down $979.00 for a new Henry, but if Marlin brings the 336 back they will sell all day at $600.00.............let the Games begin. :lol: .
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Ruger-Marlin is reintroducing the 336 at SHOT - in .30-30 and .35 Remington. Just when I'd fully convinced myself that I could call off the search for a .35...
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

.45colt wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:31 am I just got an e-mail from Remington Ammo about the BuckHammer . A "starwars" type presentation that lasted about a minute and told Me nothing We don't already know. could see the Henry rifle because of the tube loading.....some of the comments below the ad were funny. One Guy said He won't be plunking down $979.00 for a new Henry, but if Marlin brings the 336 back they will sell all day at $600.00.............let the Games begin. :lol: .
News flash for that commenter: Henry rifle cartridge chambered rifles are almost an exact copy of the 336. And if he thinks the new 336 will be $600 I think he will be in for a truck load of disappointment. I'll bet MSRP is right about even with Henrys steel side gate model. And that's right around $1000. I believe the days of new rifle cartridge chambered lever rifles from the main brands for under $800 are gone forever.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

samsi wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:43 am Ruger-Marlin is reintroducing the 336 at SHOT - in .30-30 and .35 Remington. Just when I'd fully convinced myself that I could call off the search for a .35...
Seems 35Rem is pretty scarce to come by these days. Even brass for reloading. Alot of people are on the hunt for it lately. Maybe these new 336 hitting the market might spur some supply?? Hopefully.....
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

As I said here before I don't know any body around here that will spend 1k for a lever to deer hunt with. put the Buckhammer in a plastic stocked bolt action ,"cheap" and it will sell like ice water in Hell. :wink: .
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I think it will be difficult to bring in any rifle that is accurate for $600 today. Maybe Savage could do it with a bolt-gun. Maybe. Even Rossi Lever guns cost more than that now. Much less a better quality firearm with good customer service like Henry or Ruger Marlin???? -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Only drawback to the 360 buckhammer in a bolt gun, is the rimmed cartridge. Don't think Remington will bring back the 788 , but maybe Savage could the 340. Other than those, I cannot think of a bolt gun that would handle a rimmed cartridge as the Buckhammer.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

RR, good point! And truly, I would rather have a lever gun anyhow. The cartridge was specifically developed for lever guns, so I agree, not sure it would be a good fit for a bolt action gun. Sorry, I had to brush up on the subject again as I don't personally have much interest in it as I have a 358 Win BLR that I can use here so no need for the 360 BKHMR.

But RR, you are correct and the cartridge was specifically designed for lever guns. Maybe Rossi may want to get into the act, but I doubt it.

-Tutt

RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

CowboyTutt wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:23 am RR, good point! And truly, I would rather have a lever gun anyhow. The cartridge was specifically developed for lever guns, so I agree, not sure it would be a good fit for a bolt action gun. Sorry, I had to brush up on the subject again as I don't personally have much interest in it as I have a 358 Win BLR that I can use here so no need for the 360 BKHMR.

But RR, you are correct and the cartridge was specifically designed for lever guns. Maybe Rossi may want to get into the act, but I doubt it.

-Tutt
🍻

One thing, it's a pretty narrow market the BH is targeted for. Best I can tell, there are four states with a case length limit of 1.800" along with the general straight wall restrictions. It's great that they are looking to fill that need. The 1.800" case length restriction pretty much takes everything but pistol cartridges off the table. Heck, even my 45-60WCF cases don't make the cut.

That said, it will be interesting to see if any other rifle manufacturers roll the dice on that market. I can see it selling descent initially and then petering way off. I'm sure there will be some level of interest in other states, but how much remains to be seen. It will be interesting to see how it plays out that's for sure.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Henry also released its ' Rancher ' , a semiauto 9mm feeding from pistol mags( adapters for various makes), threaded for a can, ambidextrous controls.
Say what you will about Henry but they aren't letting moss grow under their feet. Its nice to see new stuff that isn't an AR or plastic.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
WCG
Levergunner

Post by WCG »

OldWin wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:43 pm Too bad....
They should have called it .360 Creedmoor. Then it could have done anything better than anything else.
💯 👍🤣👍
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I bet these Guys are already planning to chamber their single shot for the Buckhammer. less than $500.00 .https://cva.com/product-line/scout/
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

I will bet that you are right about that!!!

Now, if the case was designed with a smaller rim, say .473" in diameter so a regular 308 bolt face would work, then maybe it could have been put in an inexpensive bolt gun. That should give roughly .025" per side rim diameter, over case diameter. About like a 44-40 rim, so a lever gun should still be able to eject the fired round. Companies could still make the cases on machinery they have, just smaller rim. Win-Win,the cartridge would function in a lever gun, enough rim for a single shot and probably something in the order of a 3 or 4 shot bolt gun.

I would bet if Henry would cut down the rims on a few cases, and run them thru a gun, it would function just fine.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Just got another E-mail from Remington Ammo about the new round. click the link and it goes to Henry 2023 . :lol: .
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Well, I remain tickled by what seems to be such a retro cartridge, and the fact that it is supposed to edge the venerable .35 Remington in the deer woods (and the hog thickets here in Texas).
I am already daydreaming about a proper single-shot platform for it. Workin' hard here to re-up as a "certified rifle crank." :lol:
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I think I would have started with a 284 Win case, straightened it, cut it off at 1.8 inches and put a .458 or .452 bullet in it. It would work in either a bolt or lever gun, and probably had better ballistics. A .452 bullet would offer all sorts of light to heavy bullets including 200 grain bullets. However, I don't think they were looking for maximum performance, just slightly more than the 350 Legend. The mild recoil of the latter seems to be one of its selling points. -Tutt

Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

C.T.---Sounds like you are talking about the 450 Bushmaster. Its based on the 284 Win. Another one close would be a 45 Raptor, which is based on the 308 win, but 1.8" long and cylindrical. Basically a rimless 460 S&W. You can use 45 Colt dies to load it.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Didn't know that about the Bushmaster to be honest. Jason at Aria Ballistic Engineering is a big fan of the Raptor cartridge and I came close to making a gun for it with him.

But I kept to my game plan for a 416/284 cartridge on a model '88 Win. Still awaiting the results.

Thanks for educating me, I do appreciate it. I don't really follow AR stuff at all.

Thanks and kind regards, -Tutt

P.S. My old brain cells might be kicking in here slowly, but didn't I read somewhere that the Bushmaster operates at much less pressure when compared to the Raptor because of the AR 15 design? Help an old man out! :D -T-

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The 450 runs the same as 223/5.56 pressure. I have one in a AR and it's an accurate cartridge. The loads I have worked up regardless of bullet/powder combos all shoot to same POI and roughly same size groups.
It's a thumper for sure, I'd like to shoot some kind of animal with it. Heck it's virtually the 45-70 , we know that works on game!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Gunny, ditto on the .450 Bushmaster's accuracy potential. If I posted this before, forgive me, but my first time out with a new Bear Creek 18-inch upper with 1-6X Vortex Strike Eagle scope, I shot this group at 100 yards after getting on paper at 50. I couldn't believe it when I walked out to the target butt. Another target was nearly as tight. Good old 296!

Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

I believe the 450B runs at 50K like the 223, but not the 5.56 @62Kpsi, at least in an AR. Bolt gun would be a different story I have only seen the 45 Raptor suggested for the AR10. Thinking about making a bolt gun for the 45 Raptor, but I have a #1 in 460 S&W.

C.T.--funny you mention the 416/284. Years (decades) ago I built an XP100 pistol with a barrel chambered in 44/284. Shooting pistol silhouette at the time and rang a pig with a 7-08 and someone walked by and laughed saying "more powder, bigger bullet'. So, thats what I built. Knowing then what I know now, I would have gotten a bolt with a magnum bolt face and built a 44/350mag. Oh well, the 44/284 was intimidating enough. IIRC, I used 65gr of H335 with a 240gr slug and velocities were right around 2000fps out of a 13" bbl. Quite a fireball and concussion.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Like to see this in Remington 740 , 760 series guns, but doubt that will happen. :cry:
Rumble.com/ hickock45
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

RIDERED350r wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:25 pm
Would you be so kind as to measure the case length of the 360BH and post your findings?
Sorry I didn't see this till just now.

Slow is just slow.
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Apparently, they made a few of the Henry Levers. Here is a couple of links to two different videos.

https://cdn.jwplayer.com/previews/IkhgCvxz

https://youtu.be/nlkHhkLgnkI

JBowen