Color contrast

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Color contrast

Post by Old Savage »

Carbon steel frying pan, layers of oil burned on in cooking. Silver/gray when they come but change color with seasoning and use.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ysabel Kid

Re: Color contrast

Post by Ysabel Kid »

So, is that how the Italians do the ones without true bone-charcoal color-case hardening?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

In my experience, those thin pot metal pans get hot spots that heat up unevenly, stick, and burn stuff. No substitute for quality cast iron.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:04 pm So, is that how the Italians do the ones without true bone-charcoal color-case hardening?
Hi Jay, I've read that they use some type of acid wash to get that effect.

Just drop one of yours in vinegar (a mild acid), swish it around, and show us how it comes out. :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

The good carbon steel pans are thicker and heavier then the thin restaurant pans, yes they do heat up faster but hot spots aren't as noticeable, and they do season to a point like cast, and are much easier to handle then cast iron with this broke down body... :mrgreen:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old No7 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:28 pm
Ysabel Kid wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:04 pmSo, is that how the Italians do the ones without true bone-charcoal color-case hardening?
Hi Jay, I've read that they use some type of acid wash to get that effect.
Just drop one of yours in vinegar (a mild acid), swish it around, and show us how it comes out. :wink:
Old No7
IIRC the chemical color case is done with arsenic.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I put cold blue on my Pietta 1860 Army and it blued it.

I had a Colt 44 Soecial SAA where the opening for the loading gate was a touch too small to let fured cases eject. I opened it up with a round ceramic sharpening rod which left it silver. The CCH is only a surface effect. I put cold blue on that and the CCH pattern returned.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...